Radio Alternative

Guest my3buicks

Guest my3buicks

The radio in the the new coupe is about worthless, typical radio issues. On the way home from SC I used my iPad with iTunes radio and earphones and that worked well, but I can't stand having earphones in my ears for long periods of time. I got to exploring portable Bluetooth speakers, all the big companies make them including Bose. The sound on the higher end ones is honestly incredible. They have a playtime of 12-14 hours per charge. I bought the UE Ultimate Ears Boom, around $170 off ebay, they are about $200 in the stores. It fits nicely in my cupholder and I also picked up a small flexible tripod to set it behind the seats. As I stated the sound is fantastic when in the cupholder, but behind the seats it just brings the sound alive. It comes with a nice travel case and I can use it anywhere anytime with both my iPad or iPhone.

post-30591-143142892493_thumb.jpg

Guest Corvanti

Keith, Thanks for the info!:cool: i've been looking at going with a bluetooth speaker system with my phone for some tunes in my '51 Studebaker (6 volt - positive ground).

how is the bass response? i'm not looking for "ghetto thumper" but like a good deep bass.

Guest my3buicks

It is actually very good, surprisingly Walmart has a rather good display of them that you can listen to many of them - I did that plus checked the reviews online and this one came out the winner for me.

For my '90 'vert I installled a Clarion CZ702 but a Kenwood KDC-BT558U is also supposed to have selectable dash colors. Both have Bluetooth/HFP. I have now converted three of my cars this way and generally link to a Samsung Galaxy S3 for infotainment (over 2500 songs on a microSD card) and sat-nav. Can also turn text messages into voice. In newer cars it also has ODB-II engine diagnostics. Have gotten used to it.

To install such in a 90-91 Reatta you also need:

Metra 70-1858 Radio Wiring Harness For GM 88-05 Harness

Metra 99-4000 Dash Kit For GM 82-04/Isuzu 98-01 (fits a single DIN radio into a GM DIN and a half slot)

Metra 40-GM10 GM Antenna Adapter

I just wired the 1858 wiring harness to the plug that goes in the radio for plug and pray operation. This way I use the Reatta speakers and a modern head/amp for my BT phone (works with an iPad/iPod also but those don't work with my watch.).

ps in Florida wearing a headset while driving is illegal.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)