No Headlights on my 64

dhaven64

Hi all. Having electrical issues with the restoration of my 64 Riv. Hooked everything up new bulbs throughout and headlamps, checked the grounds but still no headlights (low or high) I checked the dimmer switch and cleaned the contacts and put in all new fuses. Any help? I'm really stuck.

Thanks John I will do that. Also, I noticed a red wire with a black connector down by the firewall (near brake pedal) inside the cabin that doesn't seem to plug into anything. Any ideas what that might be for? I checked the wiring diagram and it's not shown.

Unfortunately I can't find my volt meter so I can't check it. It's definitely heavy gauge and very short in length. I don't have power seats or Windows. I've pulled the headlight switch and cleaned the contacts and will report back on my progress. Ugh

Unfortunately I can't find my volt meter so I can't check it. It's definitely heavy gauge and very short in length. I don't have power seats or Windows. I've pulled the headlight switch and cleaned the contacts and will report back on my progress. Ugh

You can't diagnose a problem like this without a voltage measuring device....either a voltmeter or a test light. Go down to your

local auto supply and buy a test light...every tool box should have one in it. They are not expensive. Once you have one, check the light blue

wire at the dimmer switch for 12 volts when the headlight switch is turned on. If it is dead, the problem is either power feed from the horn

relay post or something wrong at the headlamp switch. Check the red wire at the headlamp switch for 12 volts with the switch on and if you

have 12 volts on the red wire and the light blue wire is dead coming out of the switch, the problem is the headlamp switch or a bad connection on the headlamp switch connector. If the red wire at the switch is dead, that wire goes to the big stud on the horn relay on the left inner

fender. (that red wire also branches out from the horn relay and feeds the batt post on the alternator and the ignition switch power terminal.) If the light blue wire at the dimmer switch has 12 volts with the lights turned on, check for power at the other two wires,

depending on which beam is selected on the switch. If nothing is coming out going to the headlamps, you have a bad dimmer switch.

If you have power to headlamp bulbs, then you must not have the ground wire for the headlamps hooked up.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)