Sign in to follow this  
ceejay

1958 Buick Century 4 Dr Hard top restoration in Sri Lanka

HI all,

This is the ongoing restoration of my 58 Buick Century Riviera in Sri Lanka. It is the only such car known to be in Sri Lanka.

If this car was in USA, it would be considered a scrap car. Not even a parts car.

However, we are not allowed to import any vehicle over 2 years old into Sri Lanka, so importing a classic is not possible.

All we can do, is restore the cars already existing in Sri Lanka, no matter how bad they are and what it costs.

Hope you folks find the restoration interesting. Looking forward to comments.

post-69372-143142891348_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891377_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891407_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891442_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891465_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891504_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891526_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891548_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891574_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891597_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891623_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891647_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891673_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891696_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891731_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891754_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891786_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891806_thumb.jpg

post-69372-143142891827_thumb.jpg

Edited by ceejay (see edit history)

Hello Ceejay.

I see by your join date you have been around for a bit but want to wish you a big welcome.

The only '58 Buick in Sri Lanka, wow!

Your Buick is anything but scrap my friend. From your pictures you have a fairly complete car. Those rear lower bumper rails alone would fetch a good dollar in the condition I see from the pics! (ask me how I know)

So what is the story on your car? Does it run?

With just another hood and putting the trim back on will change the overall look of her.

Will watch your thread with interest.

Thanks Doug,

Ohh you will be surprised as to how bad the car is, with the oncoming photos !

The car originally belonged to a Burmese gentleman named H.E. Boon Watt in 1958. He was the Burmese ambassador in Sri Lanka. He shot his wife because she was having an affair !!

The car then went into government storage and was later sold to an individual. He hardly used the car at all. After he died, the car sat in one place for 15 years. Partially getting wet due to a family dispute.

Finally the car was auctioned off and I got it from the auction.

I have had to buy parts cars in USA and import a LOT of parts from them for this one.

why go to the US to buy parts cars..that would be expensive ...when you can just buy parts online like ebay etc ??

why go to the US to buy parts cars..that would be expensive ...when you can just buy parts online like ebay etc ??

I didn't "GO" to the US physically to buy the parts cars. I bought them while I was seated right at my home in Sri Lanka.

My car needed so many parts that it was not practical to scout around on E-bay to buy bits and pieces from different sellers. Then I have to pay shipping separately for each part to my shippers address and then again sea freight to Sri lanka.

It was much more financially viable to buy 1 or 2 good parts cars, have them stripped and a bulk lot of parts send by sea to Sri Lanka, one shot.

The upcoming photos will show just how much had to be imported.

Ceejay ..from the parts cars you purchased ..do you have any parts from them you will not use & that you may wish to sell ?

coupekid.. Any duplicate parts I have, are with me in Sri Lanka. I doubt that the postage from here to USA would be worth it.

Let me know if you are looking for any particular part.

I know that no one in the world makes new lenses for the stop/tail and backup lights of the 58 Buicks and I'm in the process of reprodicing them. I'm desperately looking for good samples.

Ceejay, ...sent you a pm with parts i need ... a nice fellow ACCA member is currently selling complete tail lights on ebay atm & lenses have no cracks ...check out ebay # 291329278751

Thanks coupekid, those are for the large series cars and mine is a Century so my main interest is to get the century lenses made first.

Frank Lyle did promise to lend me some NOS lenses for the reproduction project but I have not heard from him in a while and have not had any replies to my messages.

I shall pursue him and see.

Shall get back to you on your parts requirement

I know that no one in the world makes new lenses for the stop/tail and backup lights of the 58 Buicks and I'm in the process of reprodicing them. I'm desperately looking for good samples.

Ceejay,

I can't help with a tail light lens (red) but will check and see if my used reverse light lens might be of use to you.

I can see now what you mean about the water condition issues! Sadly the front sheet metal is prone to some rust out by design but the water (most likely sitting out on a lawn?) just moves things along greatly. (sigh)

post-36036-14314289415_thumb.jpg

Thanks Doug.. please do have a look about the lens and let me know.

My car was sitting under a roof but was getting wet in front. Also Sri Lanka has like 97% humidity so that is not good for old cars

Wow, very cool. You will have a very unique car. What you have is a lot of work but you DO have a lot to work with too. Can't wait to see it come along.

Wow, you must love this car to take that on. Good luck and will be following your progress. ( Sheesh, I'm going to send Dan another thank you note right now for selling me the Electra)

That black Super in the background looks like a good car.........is that yours as well?

I didn't "GO" to the US physically to buy the parts cars. I bought them while I was seated right at my home in Sri Lanka.

My car needed so many parts that it was not practical to scout around on E-bay to buy bits and pieces from different sellers.

It was much more financially viable to buy 1 or 2 good parts cars, have them stripped and a bulk lot of parts send by sea to Sri Lanka, one shot.

It is not legal to import any car less than 2 years old, but it is legal to buy complete old cars in a foreign country, have them disassembled in the foreign country and shipped to Sri Lank as parts? Sounds like Sri Lankan legislators were trained by the U.S. Congress!

Ceejay,

Looked at one of the two backup lenses I have and pretty sure this one is not for you. Both corners for the screws are broken and the center is too.

post-36036-143142896843_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look bad in the housing but with the lengths you are going to bring the car back would think you want better ones.

post-36036-143142896848_thumb.jpg

I'm soaking the other lens to get the screws out so not sure it's overall condition yet. Will let you know.

It is not legal to import any car less than 2 years old, but it is legal to buy complete old cars in a foreign country, have them disassembled in the foreign country and shipped to Sri Lank as parts? Sounds like Sri Lankan legislators were trained by the U.S. Congress!

Dave Yaros, No where did I say that I imported a whole dismantled car as "parts". I dismantled the cars, and shipped the PARTS which I need, to Sri Lanka and sold or scrapped the rest in USA.

We are allowed to import any car "PARTS".. we can not import the chassis nor body shell. Any parts which can be un bolted from the body shell, cab be imported.

All sheet metal like the doors, hood, trunk lid, inner and outer fenders etc can be imported. So can any small parts or mechanical components.

Edited by ceejay (see edit history)

Doug Thank you so much for your effort !! I do need the sample lens to be as close to perfect as possible in order to make good reproductions. Fading is OK but no breaks or cracks.

Lets see how your other lens comes up.

That black Super in the background looks like a good car.........is that yours as well?

Yes that is my 46 Super. It is a USA Built, Factory Right Hand Drive car.post-69372-143142897003_thumb.jpg

Looking good, ceejay! I can't wait to see more progress photos.