Warner OD Wiring Question

rockitdoc

My '41 Continental has the Warner OD unit. I have the wiring diagram from Warner that shows a 4 pin relay (mine is 5 pin) and a 2 pin solenoid (mine is 3 pins). Question is: what are the extra pins on the relay and solenoid supposed to connect to?:confused:

Thanks, in advance.

S

Nomal relay has two pins that operate / energizes the coil in the relay when battery voltage is applied. Pin 3 would be the common pin for the circuit. The next two pins, one might be for a direct current path when the relay is not energized and the other pin for the current path when the relay is energized.

Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

This OD wiring diagram shows an early and late version. The only difference appears to be the 'solenoid actuating coil' and solenoid holding coil' between pin #4 and ground for the early version vs a straight pin #4 to ground for the late version. How would I know if my solenoid requires the 'actuating and holding' coils?

post-62942-143142902785_thumb.jpg

post-62942-14314290279_thumb.jpg

My car is an early model, but the solenoid was replaced, so it's not original.

Any clues appreciated.

Scott

This OD wiring diagram shows an early and late version. The only difference appears to be the 'solenoid actuating coil' and solenoid holding coil' between pin #4 and ground for the early version vs a straight pin #4 to ground for the late version. How would I know if my solenoid requires the 'actuating and holding' coils since both coils appear to be three pins?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]287927[/ATTACH]

My car is an early model, but the solenoid was replaced, so it's not original.

Any clues appreciated.

Scott