Purolator L-5 oil filter

Chacheska

Hi, Doug. I've ondered about that myself. I bought a '36 Pierce with 29,700 original miles last August and was just about to look into what I can do to modernize the filter to a spin-on. Did you get the adaptor kit from the Michigan region CCCA? Burr Ripley sells spin on conversions for the L 8's but he wants $475 for them which is pretty steep. What year is your Pierce?

Does anyone know the difference between a purolator L-5 as used on Pierce arrows and an L-8 as used on Packards? Are they the same size O.D. and I.D. I found a kit to convert the L-5 to a spin on but it is for a L-8. Does someone know of a source of L-5 NOS filters???? Thanks Doug

Hey guys, are you sure you want to "modernize" your cars to use a spin on filter?<P>Most cars of that vintage used a bypass filter. Bypass filters generally have a finer filter media. Modern bypass filters typically only pass particles smaller than one micron.<P>All the modern spin on filters I am aware of are designed for full flow use. These typically pass particles as large as 50 micron.<P>It is my impression that putting a full flow filter in a location designed for a bypass filter will simply result in reduced cleaning efficiency.<P>So what you gain in parts availability you lose in effectiveness. It would almost be worth plugging up an old filter. Mounting it for show, and doing more frequent oil changes. By the way, you only need to replace a bypass filter when it becomes clogged, not every oil change.<P>I am not familiar with the Purolator L-5 or L-8. I do know that the old AC P-21, Fram PB 1/2P, Hastings HD 1/2, Walker SU-3, and WIX WF 1/2 filters can all be replaced by the currently available NAPA 1035 and WIX 51035 filters.

My car is a 1933 Pierce Arrow v-12 Seven passenger sedan. Now rust, totally complete Calif. car. It has not been driven much since 1954. I did drive it about 1973 when I was a college student. The Mich. region CCCA looks like the best possibility. Thiers is for the L-8 which has an O.D. of 4 5/16 my old filter is 4 1/4'' the best I could measure it. Like you said $475. is a bit high for an oil filter, but it sounds like a nice one as I have talked to them. Also I think the Pierce system is a full flow system, so a spin on shoud work ok. I also plan on changing the oil quite often. My old canister has some small pin holes so dont know if it is repairable as yet. will keep looking for an original as well.