1950 Dynaflow

DefiantPreacher sent me a separate email with this question:<P> Would some kind soul tell how to check and add trans fluid in a 1950 Buick Super with a Dyna I have just purchased? Have taken the carpet up, no small cover in the tunnel as suggested by our oldest trans shop? No tube under the hood. Only a large plate on the floor that I removed and it only exposes the bell housing and front portion of the trans? I'm disabled and it is pretty tough for me to crawl around under the car. In my MOTORS manual it states to check the fluid at the tube under the hood if it has one?<BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Ron<P>Ron, I am not familiar with this particular model so hope The Old Guy's answer helps. Let us know and visit more often as you get into this car. Ron

<P>The Old Guy should be right with his answer on this. All 1950 models and late 1949's (as far as I'm aware) had the transmission fill tube and dip stick on the right hand side under the hood as he said. The 1948 and early '49 models, you had to lift the floor mat and the remove the tunnel cover of the floor board. Could it be that you have a mistaken year here or that you may have had an older transmission put in the car? This is all I can figure.<P>Rick

Been years since I owned one, but it was as said, by the starter. It wasn't hard to see, but be very, very careful under the hood of a 50 Buick. The hood will open from either side, but weighs a full ton when it decides to close unexpectedly. The straight eight engine should have the tube easily identified if it is really a '50 model.<P>My uncle gave me mine when I was a kid. Man, I loved the dash with those large knobs. It was like driving a tank, but had power brakes. I can still remember the uncle slamming on the brakes when we were rabbit huniting in the car at night. He was used to his old Chevy with the brakes. He slung all us kids from the rear seats up into the front seats when he hit the brakes the first time. We loved it! You almost could not destroy that transmission, even with any abuse. The grille was sure unique as well.<BR>huey<p>[This message has been edited by coupe1942 (edited 03-05-2001).]

Guest grisby

DefiantPreacher--I dont know much about old buicks, but I have a 72 and I will tell you where NOT to go to get tranny work done if you are in the Harrisburg PA area, and that is Don's transmissions on Derry Street.. I have a thread running now on the BCA forum about a that shop who refuses to fix under warranty or refund funds due to the type of work completed. Enough said- <BR>thanks for listening or reading the post on the BCA forum under Unethical shops.<BR>bill g<BR>thanks<P>[This message has been edited by grisby (edited 03-06-2001).]<P>[This message has been edited by grisby (edited 03-07-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by grisby (edited 03-07-2001).]