'30 Oil Pan Problems

Buickborn

Second post since last night . . . this time, I'm having problems in trying to remove the oil pan from my '30 44 roadster. All bolts are out; the pan is hanging down a little in front, and I can wiggle it side to side, but I cannot seem to free the rear end from the crankcase. Just below the rear edge of the pan, there is an inspection plate in the front of the flywheel housing, attached with four bolts, which I have removed. But neither the plate nor the rear of the pan will free up, and I can't see what's holding either one in place.

?????

Thanks!

~ Charlie Manes

Concerning my request for oil pan removal ideas, I'm happy to be able to say, "Cancel that." The solution to the problem was to push the hanging front of the oil pan back into position, pull the inspection plate downward against the heavy drag of its felt spacer, and unscrew two remaining pan bolts uncovered by the removal of the plate.

That appears to have been the clean part of the task at hand -- at least compared with cleaning out the scary mess I've found in that oil pan (to be expected, I suppose, in an engine that hasn't been run in forty years . . . )

• 3 weeks later...