New Member, "New" '64.

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Hi all. Just purchased a '64 survivor. Original, unrestored, well optioned car. Rust free, never repaired, and still has original paint (Coral Mist) with a mint interior (Standard, Silver). I had a '65 in 1968 and the world was my oyster - loved that car. Had it three years, and often thought to get another First Generation Riviera. Well, that thought lingered a while, but finally have returned to the fold. This one has AC, Cruise, PW, PSeat, Tilt, Guidematic, Remote Trunk --- and a clock that doesn't work !

Cheers, Dale (Vancouver, Canada)

'71 Alfa Romeo Montreal

'71 Mecedes "Pagoda"

Guest dwhiteside64

Yes welcome! Make sure to find time to contribute to the '64 registry. I like when I can add a survivor car to the list! :cool:

Dale congratulations on your purchase.....sounds like a real sweetheart of a car. Hope to see pics

of it soon! Like you, I learned to drive in my Dad's new 65 and used to drive it when I was in high school and always wanted

another one.....I always thought it was the nicest car I ever drove....and finally bought myself one last year.

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Thanks for the welcome guys. I must confess to being a little facetious re. clock, sorry. I'm sure it will not take much to sort out, just one of a number of bits and pieces that need attention. The wealth of knowledge and help on this forum is amazing, which I'm sure I'll be referring to often.

By the way, how do I post pictures, and how do I add my name and vehicles to the bottom of my posts ? Cheers, Dale.

Congratulations Dale on your new '64, and welcome to the list! I've never seen a Coral Mist Rivera, and I'm sure yours is very nice. Post some pics of your pride and joy for us to enjoy.

You might like to know that I also live in Vancouver, BC. I've owned my '65 Gran Sport since 1983 and continue to enjoy fine times and rides in my Rivvie. If there's a nice rain free day (when?) perhaps we could meet in our Rivs and go for a cruise around Stanley Park. Gas is getting cheaper so no excuses, right!!!???

Are you familiar with the Riviera Owners Association? You might enjoy becoming a member. Of couse you've taken the right step to join this board as there are many fine fellow enthusiasts here ready to help you with their experiences and know-how.

Cheers,

Are you

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Thanks Tom. Yes, I wasn't sold on the color, but as it was all original I took a chance and bought it sight unseen. I talked to the seller before doing so, and it turned out to be exactly as described.

Hi Alex, and thanks. Like the idea of Stanley Park, but surely you're not suggesting it rains a lot in Vancouver ? I have joined ROA.

Ed, thanks for your reply. I had been in to Modify Profile, but wasn't sure how to proceed. Must confess to being only "semi-literate" on computers, that's why I was happy to retire from the auto trade, as cars were

just becoming too electronically controlled for an "old school" mechanic.

Cheers, Dale.

It was late when I posted #7 to this thread so I didn't go as deeply as I should have for a newby. Here's a link by our good buddy MrEarl on how to post pictures.

http://forums.aaca.org/f115/posting-pictures-375751.html

Welcome to the forum and that you know how to post pictures, you'd better post some or you'll never hear the end of it from all of us tire kickers. If MrEarl (AKA Lamar) doesn't mention it in his post, you'll need to resize your pictures. A good size is 1024 px for the longest side. There's a limit to the number of KB that a picture can be in order to be posted is why you need to resize.

Ed

Guest Dale in Vancouver

[ATTACH=CONFIG]284916[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284917[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284918[/ATTACH][TABLE=width: 500]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

I bet the clock will be an easy fix. Just search for a previous thread that goes into detail on removal of the clock and what to look for. I'd recommend using clothes pins to keep the wires from falling back into the dash after disconnecting from the clock. All my clock took was a couple squirts of light lube and it started ticking in my hands. However, my clock does run fast even with turning it back numerous times...so not to hijack your thread but if anyone knows what to do please let me know!! If you run into ANY problems with your ride chance are you will find many on here who experienced it also and will help you through it!

I pulled the clock from my '64 a couple of weeks ago using that special tool (aerosol paint can lid) but couldn't get it going right away. I cleaned the contacts and put a couple of drops of light oil on it but to no avail. I was talking to some one about how it worked and while I was talking to him, I manually rolled the main spring a few times not even thinking about it while I was talking. Pretty soon I realized that the spring was turning much easier and the clock would actually run for a few seconds on it's own. I put 12V to it again, and Wah-Lah, it took off on its own. I put a 12V battery from my cordless drill on it and let it run for an hour or so, it kept great (not perfect) time until I disconnected it. FYI, the clock is a mechanical clock that runs off a main spring. The main spring is wound about every 20 seconds or so when a set of points make contact. When the points make contact, the main spring winds and pulls the points apart until the mainspring unwinds and the points make contact again. It just takes a split second for all of this to happen. Definitely won't run down your battery.

If it works and keeps good time, you're lucky. If not, a conversion to a quartz kit is probably a good step in the right direction.

Most clock failures are usually the result of corroded, burned or pitted contact points on the +12 V DC electrical rewind mechanism of the clock.

They are a pretty simple electro-mechanical device, once you have taken one of them apart to see how they tick !!