Is the 57 Chevy a good first car?

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

Agree with Helfen, and would take it one step further by suggesting that your old car experience, especially at 16, will be more enjoyable all around with your parent's support in addition to "grudging permission" - what I mean is, if you really want this you will be a lot better off it your parents see it as a constructive, useful hobby rather than a possible disagreement every time something related to the car comes up. Sounds basic, and some of these couple of points below apply to any young person with a first car but I would suggest that you:

State up front (and walk the talk) that the car comes second to school and whatever other home responsibilities your parents have lined up for you. This is what they may be concerned about, and your knowing that up front will help you. You may even offer to maintain a certain grade average.

Have a realistic idea of the expense involved. EVERY 16 year old (I remember I was the same) with an old car is very concerned about paint, chrome, etc. - you need to be concerned about tires, brakes, front end, etc. first. This comes from research and maybe even putting a "fix up" and maintenance plan together so your parents know where you are coming from.

Be responsible. I do not think an older, slower car is a bad thing at all for a new driver, but you can still do stupid things with it behind the wheel. A clean driving record will help, I bet if you need Grandpa (who you mentioned) or someone to give you a little financial help with it down the road.

Be patient - it is an old car. Things will break, fixing them right may require time, money and the help of a pro - have a plan for that and share it.

Basically, YOU should convince your parents that you have thought this out, it won't interfere with school, and you are willing to do a little extra to enjoy an old car. Trying to interest them by sharing car related things, or going to a car show as a family will help also. Most parents LOVE the idea of being included in their teen's life even a little bit - a time when most teens want to be as independent as possible. That will make the car a positive in their minds.

Just a couple of tips - it is just as important to be able to get permission to get the car, then carefully decide if that is the car you want, or a different one. Inexpensive older cars are around, and patience always pays off in the hunt.

Last, JOIN AACA. You can get a youth membership, and if the right people see this, you will likely be offered year one to get you going. It is a great organization with a new "region" (name of the group, not geographic) devoted to youth members. You seem like an ideal young AACA member to me!

GOOD LUCK

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Stuart, you say, "my mum has been trying to talk me out of it."

Parents are always saying, "You should do this, you shouldn't do that."

They may be right on social and moral issues, but for things that are

your personal interest, they probably can't see your passion. My parents

were the same way, and most of the exemplary things I did, I did on my

own initiative.

My mother said, "Why do you want an old car? What are you going to do with it?"

Everyone is an individual. So follow your individuality in a well-thought manner.

Since you're still under 18 or 21, you just have to be convincing.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

My grandpa has a 57 Pontiac, bought it brand new! I would try to get that one running, but it has not been started up for more than 15 years, and has been sitting outside for longer :P

It would be fun to see some pics of that Pontiac....... :)

Just because it has stood out doesn't mean it's junk.

You would undoubtedly have to check out the brakes, go through the fuel pump, carburetor and maybe the gas tank but might that car be, essentially, a free car?

Hopefully that car hasn't devolved into a mouse nest Hilton........ :(

The '59 I have had stood out for a lot of years.

The front seat was in bad shape so I had that totally redone.

When my upholsterer removed what was left of the coverings it was one solid mass of mouse nests so everything was stripped down to bare metal.

This is how it turned out.

My point is the cheaper you can get it the more money you can throw at it....... LOL

post-93523-143142863594_thumb.jpg

One question that hasn't been asked is how good is your mechanical aptitude?

I was fortunate to have inherited a strong mechanical aptitude from my Dad and his Dad.......something that eluded my brother and sister.

If you want an old car you'd better be able to do repairs yourself or have a boat load of money.

At least you can fix older cars unlike new ones on which one can barely even change the oil....... :mad:

The very first thing I did with my current '59 after I got it running was take it to my local, old fashioned, service station where the entire brake system was redone, manifolds resurfaced, a new set of radials all around, the plugs, points and condenser changed, a glass pack muffler and some other minor things which added up to $1800 so........keep that in mind.

After that I wound up putting in a set of new pistons and -.001 rod bearings.

After all the other work and expenses though I have a car I can drive anywhere......and do.

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Of course he needs permission. Last I checked you have to be 18 to title a vehicle in your name.
Perhaps thing have changed, but I registered all of my vehicles in my name when I was underage. No one at the DMV asked for ID. Same with my kids. Doesn't matter anyway. In any legal issue, the legal guardian would become the de facto owner anyway.

Again, he didn't ask for any other input other than "is this a good car." He has already stated that his parents are not wild about the idea of his buying the car, so they are aware of his plans.

And again, #40 is the correct answer

Makes me wonder why no one has bought it yet.

Simple. It's a Two Ten four door, and to most people who are interested in 57 Chevys a 4-door of any trim level is absolutely not cool or desirable. Looks like an honest and serviceable car to me. If you like it, it runs out as good as it looks, and you can deal with its limitations, grab it. And don't be afraid to offer the guy a few hundred less than he's asking. You may get him to meet you in the middle.

If it is indeed a PowerGlide it will be the cast iron unit. If shift pattern is PNDLR it is original cast-iron Glide. if it says PRNDHR or PRNDGR run like hell. That's a Turboglide and you really do not want to deal with one of those things.

A lot of Turboglide cars got converted to PowerGlides and not all got the shift pattern in the speedometer changed. If it has PRNDGR, if you can feel a shift between lo and hi range in D, it has a 58-later PG. If it never shifts but just accelerates like a turbine, it still has that heinous Turboglide and should be avoided at all costs. Repeat- you do not want to deal with a Turboglide.

Other than that a 1957 Chevy would be a great first car for a young buck who has some mechanical aptitude and doesn't mind getting his hands greasy learning about his machine. Add in parts and aftermarket support and you can have a machine any boy could be proud to own and drive.

You will, as pointed out in other posts, have to learn to deal with the quirks and idiosyncrasies of a 57 year old car. It brakes and handles differently than modern cars, but that's a good thing as it teaches you to DRIVE the damn car instead of the car coddling you. I'm not one of those nervous nellies who thinks you have to have a modern car (or worse modify an old car) to drive in modern traffic. You just have to be aware of what traffic around you is doing and adjust accordingly.

Stuuuuuuarrt, enjoy yer Fitty Sebben if you get it.

I had to laugh at your username because I have a young friend at work named Stuart and the guys out there all call him Stuuuuuuarrt! He's one of these kids you can't help but love. Our Stuuuuuuarrt is into big Diesel Ford pickups.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

Carhartley makes a good point - I would also say that it is a good time to know the difference between restoration (removing every part of a vehicle possible, and restoring it to like new condition) vs. refurbishing or fixing up an older car or even just maintaining it in safe, reliable condition. You are smart to look for a complete, running, registered sedan, so you can get a good car in your price range, which kind of speaks to your question on if a '57 Chevrolet is a good first car. I think that is a great way to get into the hobby - the same advice I give older newcomers. Taking on a full restoration with no prior experience usually results iin a basket case being sold at a fraction of the owners investment after they give up and move on. You may end up working your way up to that, but for a first car that you actually want to drive, IMO your on the right track.

On dealing with your parents, you have my advice, which comes from having been on both ends of the equation. If anyone tells you that part of it is not important in this venture, they are not doing you any favors. Like any other advice, you need to filter the good from the junk and decide what makes sense on your own.

If you are given permission to buy the car, don't jump into repainting it. You'll regret it. There's a lot of work involved to properly prep a car for paint and your car will end up unusable for a long amount of time until it is finished. It'll also cost close to what you will have originally paid for it, if not more. At that point you might as well spend a little more money on a car that you will happy with as it is.

One more thing is unless you started off driving cars like these or similar vintage like some of us have, it is a completely different level of driving compared to a newer car as has been mentioned. I have been driving a long time and started out with a car that very similar in design with manual everything except transmission. As the years went by and cars gradually improved I forgot about just how different it was to drive something like that. Since I had learned to drive on cars like that, it isn't that hard at all to go back to driving one after driving the technology laden cars of today. I image if you have a drivers license, you probably learned on something current and it may be a bit of a shock to regress into something like the 57. You're comment are they that loud already tells me you haven't driven it much less even started it. No, it shouldn't be that loud but it will be louder than a modern car. You will also find that they usually don't start like a modern car, especially in cold weather. They can sometimes be problematic starting up full warmed up, especially with the stuff they pass for fuel these days.

Once you have permission, make sure you really take the car for a drive. Don't just take a leisurely drive around the block. Take it out on a busy road, then a find yourself a quick moving highway and then try to park it in a crowded parking lot. You want to put the car in every situation you would normally expect plus anything out of the ordinary such as a crowded stop and go drive.

That should help make up your mind if you really want to have a car like that.

Everyone at my high school loved my four door....the fact that the car is a '57 Chevy may just outweigh the four door effect. Here was my high school four door 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan....It WAS cool.

post-37352-143142863969_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142863974_thumb.jpg

That car is not a candidate for restoration.

Not because it is a POS, but because of your age, your inexperience and the value and the condition of the car as it relates to the first two. It is a great car for you to buy and "fix it up". Clean it within an inch of it's life. Identify thing you can fix right now. Maybe that is just checking all the nuts and bolts and tightening and replacing those that need attention. Maybe you feel bold and you can replace things like bad rubber seals on the doors or trunk. Just don't decide you want to rebuild the engine and yank it, tear it down and let it sit, as many have done. It will end up on Craigslist in a few years and you will take a bath on the whole deal.

Everyone at my high school loved my four door....the fact that the car is a '57 Chevy may just outweigh the four door effect. Here was my high school four door 1936 Dodge Brothers touring sedan....It WAS cool.

Right on Keiser31. My 1972 Buick Electra 225 four door Hardtop was a lot cooler than about 95% of my classmate's cars.

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

My first '59 Chev was a two door.

I never did get the appeal of two door over 4 door cars.

Part of the fun of having an old car is taking friends along for plain old cruising.

Why make them do calisthenics to get in and out of the car?

That's another reason I love my current '59 even more than my first....... :)

Back in the early seventies, my buddy had a yellow and white '57 Chevy 210 2door 6cyl stick with overdrive. Besides being rusted, every part of the car was worn out. The brakes, the tires, the clutch, when he took it to a mechanic to have the condition of the steering evaluated, I remember the mechanic saying "The next pothole could be it's last." He was the only person in his family to get a license and own a car, and the family soon became dependent on him and his car. Not wanting to risk the safety of others, he purchased a slightly newer, more dependable car.('64 Ford). He drove the Chevy to the junkyard, and managed to salvage the steering wheel from it, which we still have. Today, now that he's successfully retired, he wishes that he could have that old Chevy back to play with and restore, especially with all the reproduction parts now available. My point in all this is that if you just want a TOY TO PLAY WITH, go ahead and buy that old Chevy. But if you want to own a car that you, and possibly others can safely rely on, buy the newest and best car that you can comfortably afford. And I mean..... aFord!

Final word: Buy a decent, dependable first car for transportation, and fix up your Grandpa's Pontiac for fun.

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)

The boy asked, " what's not safe about a '57 Chevy? How about the steering gear box being mounted in front of the front suspension, thereby insuring the steering column gets shoved through the drivers chest in a violent frontal collision? I would never let a 16 year old drive this car.

^^^would you drive it?? How about a 25 year old?? Dead is dead.

Have we turned into such a nation of scaredy cats that we won't walk down the street without full armor protection and a phalanx of lawyers to protect us against the doom that awaits us every waking nanosecond of our lives? Yes, injuries and death happen, but for Pete's sake, can't we just enjoy these old cars?

There have been a number of threads on the hobby and how the membership is aging out. Many wonder why the young kids aren't interested or joining the clubs. This is a perfect reason why. Some here have suggested, to this kid, that he should buy a nice safe, reliable Toyota. Are you serious??? He wants to buy an old car and the old car hobby says, "Buy a Toyota or a Nissan".

Ahh...to be 16 again! The good thing about that, is a bus should be able to get you to school, if you don't have the most reliable car. I know many suggest a later model car, but the great thing about being 16 is limited responsibilities. Enjoy the next two or three years with the '57, because it's a cold, cruel world out there, lol! I had some dangerously fast cars when I was a kid, the key is to exercise good judgment. Then, when you don't, and almost wipe out another car, remember that!

Would I drive it??? Any answer to that question would have no correlation whatsoever to the original question asked. Every post I have read here( save one ) has attempted to give 16 year old Stuart the benefit of our many years of automotive experience. I'm sure that Stuart will study this information, then make a decision that best fits his situation. I make no apologies for a true answer to a question asked.

Here is the original question. How does your scenario of being impaled on the steering column address any of the bullet points?

Hi!

There is a blue 1957 Chevy for sale near me, and I am looking at buying to for my first vehicle!

So, what I would like to know is if it would be right for me.

•I live in Canada, so we can get quite a bit of snow. How would it handle in the winter? With winter tires of course.

•How would it be on gas?

•It has 100 thousand kilometres on it, is that ok for an old car?

•Would the radio still work?

•how different is driving an older car compared to a new one?

•Random question, what's your favourite color for a 57 Chevy?

The car it's self is $5800 OBO, it runs and stops. Has new tires, brakes, a battery, carb and ignition. I am 16 if that matters :P

here is a picture of it.

^^^would you drive it?? How about a 25 year old?? Dead is dead.

Have we turned into such a nation of scaredy cats that we won't walk down the street without full armor protection and a phalanx of lawyers to protect us against the doom that awaits us every waking nanosecond of our lives? Yes, injuries and death happen, but for Pete's sake, can't we just enjoy these old cars?

There have been a number of threads on the hobby and how the membership is aging out. Many wonder why the young kids aren't interested or joining the clubs. This is a perfect reason why. Some here have suggested, to this kid, that he should buy a nice safe, reliable Toyota. Are you serious??? He wants to buy an old car and the old car hobby says, "Buy a Toyota or a Nissan".

Exactly.

If those cars were so dangerous many of us would have been dead a long time ago.

I surely would have but I survived the '49 Chev, '53 Buick and '59 Buick my folks had and my '59 Chev in which we went everywhere.

I bet more people die in bathtub falls a year than are killed in their classic cars.

I'm fairly astounded that Stuart is being told to NOT get an old car.

Tell that to ALL the Stuarts out there and we might as well start selling our cars for scrap now as there won't be anyone left to buy them because classic car OWNERS chased off young blood....... :mad:

You asked: "Is the 57 Chevy a good first car?" Well, stuuuuuuarrt, I would say no, not if you're going to use it for a daily driver. I'm actually a fan of the 55-57 Chevys, but I wouldn't use one as a daily driver. I certainly wouldn't allow a 16 year old that I'm responsible for to use one as a daily driver.

Want an "old" car to use as a daily driver? For the same money, or less, you can buy an early 80s Fox-body Mustang or Gen 3 Camaro. They are 30 years old but they drive like modern cars, they're comfortable, they're reliable, they're respectably quick without being ridiculously fast, they handle well, they have excellent brakes, they have decent exhaust emission levels, they were designed for unleaded gasoline, and they are SAFE. None of these things are true of your '57 Chevy. The early 80s Mustangs and Camaros are also carbureted and very easy to work on, their modification potential is limitless, the parts are easy to find and cheap, they have a growing fan base, and they should hold their value reasonably well in the years ahead.

Yeah, we drove the older ones when we were kids, and got away with it, but there's a lot of things I did at 16 that I wouldn't recommend to a 16 year old today. It's a different world. My advice is to buy yourself a car that takes that into account. JMO.

Edited by GT52 (see edit history)

As has been mentioned, if you are really interested in learning how to fix up (mechanical and body) cars, this may be a good place to start since it is far simpler than cars of the last 20 - 30 years. However, if it needs a lot of fixing it may take quite a while to make it a reliable daily driver. If you do want to learn, great! Do you know anyone who has experience working on cars willing to help you learn? If not, you may be getting in over your head with the result becoming frustrated and losing interest. On the other hand, you could spend far less money on a less collectible car and learn these things too.

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

Wow! To be honest I didn't think I would be getting this many replies! ;)

I very much enjoy reading all of your guys car stories :)

First, I would be "Fixing it up" and not jumping into a full restoration, to answer Mustangs comment.

Could someone please further explain why a 2 door 57 is better than a 4 door?

I have not driven very many cars, so I would basically be learning how to drive on this.

I the floor pans need repairing, how hard would that be?

Thanks again for all of your helpful comments :)

Guest Stuuuuuuarrt

Oh, and I am planning on going to ask a few of our older local mechanics, if they could teach me how to do a few things (I would pay them of course)

Wow! To be honest I didn't think I would be getting this many replies! ;)

I very much enjoy reading all of your guys car stories :)

First, I would be "Fixing it up" and not jumping into a full restoration, to answer Mustangs comment.

Could someone please further explain why a 2 door 57 is better than a 4 door?

I have not driven very many cars, so I would basically be learning how to drive on this.

I the floor pans need repairing, how hard would that be?

Thanks again for all of your helpful comments :)

#1 most desirable are convertibles or roadsters.

#2 is 2 door hardtops (no window posts).

#3 is 2 door sedans (with window posts).

#4 is 4 door hardtops.

#5 is 4 door sedans.

#6 is station wagons (that may be changing places with the 4 door sedans soon if not already).

2 door models of nearly any car are worth more than 4 door models to people as they are supposed to be sportier. These days, a lot of old codgers need a 4 door just to make it easier to get our friends into the rear seat.

There may be new floor pans available for the '57.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

2 door models of nearly any car are worth more than 4 door models to people as they are supposed to be sportier. These days, a lot of old codgers need a 4 door just to make it easier to get our friends into the rear seat.

Let 'em think that.......keeps the 4 doors cheaper for those of us who like them....... :D

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

KID_GO FOR IT!!!

Here is my story. I lived in Detroit, winters were pretty rough back then. Snow,lots of it,ice, ice rain etc. John Keiser will back my story on that. Detroit was the salt capital of the world with the salt mines under the city. I'm 16 in 1968 in Feb. 26. Got my you know what in March in 68.

My 1st car? Get this! 1965 Chev Impala SS convertible. Now listen! I'm 16!

It has a 409-400 HP with a 4 speed 4.11 Posi. 0 accidents with a lot of close calls speeding and drag racing tickets. Talk my self out of them. I have the fastest car in high school, one of the most popular and such. Talk about bragging rights and memories? It's like the song from the JUDDS ( Papa-tell me about the good old days) This is what my kids and grandkids ask. Also, my parents was against me to buy this car. The cost? 400.00 on payments to the owner. He had lost his licence for drag racing. Man! how time had change. My second car a year later. A drag car since new, 62 Chev Impala. It was a 409-380 car for 200.00 No drive train. I say go for it, be careful and do good in school. The pictures below of the 65 car is from the internet. The white 62 is the car I owned. It was taken in 1970 while I was in the NAVY.

post-78906-143142864722_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142864705_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142864711_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142864715_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142864717_thumb.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Guest Skyking
KID_GO FOR IT!!!

Here is my story. I lived in Detroit, winters were pretty rough back then. Snow,lots of it,ice, ice rain etc. John Keiser will back my story on that. Detroit was the salt capital of the world with the salt mines under the city. I'm 16 in 1968 in Feb. 26. Got my you know what in March in 68.

My 1st car? Get this! 1965 Chev Impala SS convertible. Now listen! I'm 16!

It has a 409-400 HP with a 4 speed 4.11 Posi. 0 accidents with a lot of close calls speeding and drag racing tickets. Talk my self out of them. I have the fastest car in high school, one of the most popular and such. Talk about bragging rights and memories? It's like the song from the JUDDS ( Papa-tell me about the good old days) This is what my kids and grandkids ask. Also, my parents was against me to buy this car. The cost? 400.00 on payments to the owner. He had lost his licence for drag racing. Man! how time had change. My second car a year later. A drag car since new, 62 Chev Impala. It was a 409-380 car for 200.00 No drive train. I say go for it, be careful and do good in school. The pictures below of the 65 car is from the internet. The white 62 is the car I owned. It was taken in 1970 while I was in the NAVY.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]284500[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284501[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284502[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]284504[/ATTACH]

Like!!!

Four pages in one day, wow. Well I sure didn't read many replies, and these are great cars, but I wouldn't recommend driving in any winter weather as well as nice sunny days with any chemicals on the ground. I don't like even driving mine on wet roads in the summer, lol. If you were to drive it in harsh conditions, you will just be a witness to deterioration.

Keep us posted on it.

Bill

Great vintage pics from Country Traveler and Keiser 31. I took some, but wish I took more pics in HS!!! In '78 - '81 we had a couple tri fives running around but I also had a buddy who drove his '39 Chevy 4 door sedan daily except in the worst wintertime weather. Same concerns then, modern traffic, etc. but it did not stop him.

An alternate choice could be a 6 cylinder Mustang, '65 - '68 - to me, a fantastic first car/first collectible choice and there are others. One concern, Stu, is the condition of the floors, a big expense; think about that. You mentioned that you would rely on a pro mechanic to assist if necessary, you may want to consider pricing the cost of your potential '57 Chevy, purchase, etc. against the cost of the Pontiac your family already owns IF your grandpa would give it to you. In theory, you should have a lot more funds available to put it on the road, IF it is reasonably solid. Just another avenue for you to consider.

That's a 57 Chrysler. Now you talk about a headache dealing with that custom extended body... and no repro or aftermarket support to speak of.

That's why this 57 Chevy would be a good car for a young beginner old car enthusiast. It's a mid-line standard-production four-door (less expensive), fabulous repro support (again parts less expensive), as simple as a car can get (easy to fix and learn on), and possesses a cool factor no modern Asian import, no matter how reliable and safe, could ever aspire to. As a "less desirable" four-door, he can enjoy the car and not worry about value, return on investment, all that crap that has infiltrated the old car hobby to its detriment.

Call me a heavy rebel, but all these electronic gadgets, black boxes etc on modern cars hold no appeal to me. And this Google self-driving car quite frankly scares hell out of me, more than driving any old car ever could. Yeah, when I was a kid in the 60s such space-age fantasy was cool, but it scares me to death now. Not too crazy about drive-by-wire or magnetic power steering either. Maybe dealing with such stuff driving a big powerplant has colored my view, because I know it is not 100% reliable. Nothing electronic ever is.