49 plymouth generator no working

Guest wittenborn

Guest wittenborn

I have a 1949-55 Plymouth positive ground 6 volt generator (GGW 6001). I have replaced the bushing & bearing and it spins freely. My friend & I have checked the wiring and all is OK. The generator will motor, but will not charge. Have tried full fielding it and still no charging. Also flashed it prior to testing it. Got any idea's ?

To polarize a rebuilt generator mounted on the vehicle, disconnect the field wire and the battery wire from the regulator (notice it's done at the regulator not the generator). With the engine turned off, momentarily connect the two wires together. Do not polarize a generator by any method that applies battery voltage to the field terminal of the regulator, such as shorting from the battery terminal to the field terminal of the regulator, or by connecting a jumper wire directly from the battery to the generator field terminal. This causes excessive current to flow from the battery through the regulator contacts to ground, and burns the points. The terminals on the regulator should be marked F: field, G: ground, and B: battery. If they aren't marked on the regulator, you can trace them with a ohmmeter from the generator, where they should be marked in the same manner. If not, the the two wires that are on the side of the case are ground and field, the insulated terminal is the field coil wire, the uninsulated terminal is the ground. The other wire located in the back of the generator is the battery terminal.

Guest wittenborn

Yes, I did polarize the generator correctly. Did it without the regulator wires connected. I've done this before with no problems.

I had a similar situation with my Model A generator. Motored, but no charge. No short showed up in the field winding. But I was told of a test to run by a guru on a Model A site. Hook up a battery charger to both ends of the field coil winding. A 4 amp draw indicates it is ok. More than 4 amps, and the winding is not good.

I had a similar problem on my Plymouth and replaced it with a 6v pos ground alternator. Easy to change back if I want to and solved all of the charging problems for about a hundred bucks. Money well spent in my opinion. Found it on Ebay, bought the mount kit as well, saved me some fabrication.

Guest wittenborn

I can't use an alternator as the generator is being used on a '29 Graham Paige and it is driven off the back of the water pump (driven off the timing chain). The generator attaches to the side of the engine (with all mounting tabs cut off).

Guest wittenborn

I found the problem with the generator. The armature was partially shorted to ground, 5.4 ohms. Armature must be totally open (no continuity). I have a second armature and it was shorted to ground. Just bought 2 GGW 2006F armatures off Ebay for $110, free shipping.

It will still motor because even a grounded segment will still allow the armature to energize via the other brush but it will not generate.

An even more aggravating issue is the "flying short" for which testing is impossible.

The generator will generate at low speeds but will go dead as speed rises.

It's a result of a wire/wires shifting as rotational forces increase.

Even if one segment is grounded the other segment will allow for enough induced magnetism to turn the armature and once it picks up speed the less the effect of a grounded segment.

It's really aggravating to go through all the paces and wind up with a generator that WILL NOT generate........went through that more than a few times....... :mad: