Need help finding VIN tag locations

Guest Tom C

I have a 1936 Chevrolet Coupe and a 1937 Dodge 1/2 ton truck that my father left to me. Upon registering the vehicles in my name there was no issue. The Titles were transferred with no issue. The issue that is coming is as follows. In North Carolina, the vehicle must be inspected. The vehicle number must be correct per the title. The issue is I haven't found the VIN numbers on any tag on either vehicle. Any recommendations on where to look?

Thanks

Tom C

I have a 1936 Chevrolet Coupe and a 1937 Dodge 1/2 ton truck that my father left to me. Upon registering the vehicles in my name there was no issue. The Titles were transferred with no issue. The issue that is coming is as follows. In North Carolina, the vehicle must be inspected. The vehicle number must be correct per the title. The issue is I haven't found the VIN numbers on any tag on either vehicle. Any recommendations on where to look?

Thanks

Tom C

I don't have my NADA and Red Books at hand but searching Chevy info the 1937 is under the hood on the right side of the cowl panel.

Although I am not sure on the trucks many states used the engine number for vehicle ID for old Mopars. Located on a flat spot on the block just above the generator on the drivers side. The Folks at the P15-D24 site in the truck area would know for sure. My 52 Plymouth here in Illinois is still titled that way.

Tom C,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. Where in NC are you located? Some of the DMV Inspectors are very easy to work wtih and do a great job on these inspections. They do have access to quite a bit of information regarding where to find the numbers on different antique vehicles. Some are not as easy to work with as others. If you run into any problems send me a private message and I will be happy to try to help you with some information. There is an appeal process that you can use if you have difficulty with the inspector not getting it right. I can help you with some information on the appeal process if you run into problems.

Thanks

Tom C

Was any of the above helpful and were you able to title/register the vehicles?

Guest Gary Hearn
Although I am not sure on the trucks many states used the engine number for vehicle ID for old Mopars. Located on a flat spot on the block just above the generator on the drivers side. The Folks at the P15-D24 site in the truck area would know for sure. My 52 Plymouth here in Illinois is still titled that way.

This is true, back in the day state motor vehicle laws were anything but uniform. Some states used the engine number, others used the serial numbers. Replacement blocks were not stamped, so a replacement engine could carry the same number as before. The model year on a title was often determined by when it was first registered rather than the model year. With Studebaker rolling out their new R series trucks mid way in 1948, this is why you often see them titled as '48's when the are '49 models.

One other thing that I should mention is that the general rule of thumb in NC is that Prewar vehicles are registered and titled with the engine number as the serial number. If there are multiple numbers, i.e., engine number, body number, or a serial number on a chassis tag, the Inspector will record all of the numbers on his paperwork but the engine number is generally what will be listed on the title.

Model T Nick,

While you don't have to have the annual safety inspection on an antique car in NC, when you buy an antique car from out of state, NC DMV has to inspect the vehicle before an antique title is issued. This came about a few years back after a friend of the former DMV Commissioner incorrectly was given an antique car title for a street rod to get the property tax break.