antifreeze boiling point

I have a '34 Ford street rod with a 350 Chevy. The cooling system is non-pressure. It is fine and runs cool on a hot day at sea level.<P>I want to take it to the high Sierra, 9,000 feet, and know that pure water will boil. If I run a 50-50 mix of antifreeze and water, will I have a problem?<P>jf.rowe@lmco.com

Water boils at 212 degrees at sea level<BR>Water boils at 204 degrees at 4,000 feet elevation.<BR>Water boiled at 192 degres at 9,000 feet elevation.<P>A 50/50 mixture of water to anti freeze will boil at 227 degrees at sea level.<BR>A 50/50 mixture of water to anti freeze will boil at 220 degrees at 4,000 feet elevation.<BR>A 50/50 mixture of water to anti freeze will boil at 212 degrees at 9,000 feet elevation.<BR> The anti freeze refered to here is ethylene glycol based.<BR> <BR>Both of these are these are with no pressure cap on the radiator.<BR>You can add 7 degrees to the boling point with the addition of each 1lb of pressure.<BR> - - A 5 lb pressure cap would add 35 degrees to the boiling point.<P>Dan

Opinion only, but I don't think it is just a question of boiling temps of antifreeze mixtures alone in answering your question. The overall condition of the cooling system is very important in the mix as well. I ran a 70's Ford truck years ago there with no problems at all with a 50/50 mix. However, I saw other vehicles all the time with steaming engines. I don't think it was just their particular antifreeze mix that gave them all their troubles. Pressure caps and such add to the mix as well. Having unclogged fins and a radiator that is correct for the engine certainly can have a bearing on the answers as well.<P>Huey

None of my business, but it looked to me like coupe 1942 was only trying to shed additional light on the matter. I think both responses were very good, each from their own perspective. <BR>My question is why bother trying to run a car, especially one that's modified already, with an atmospheric cooling system. You've probably already made compromises in radiator size and maybe have beefed up the motor, all of which jeapardizes the ability of the cooling system to shed an adequate amount of heat. If you have the original 34 Ford radiator, you're already over the design parameters with the 350 by about 200 horsepower. With the current rage over hot rods, there are literally billions of shops that'll make you a modern radiator, maybe some will even make it correctly. Maybe a cruise through your local junkyard with a measuring tape will yield a radiator that will fit; just make sure it comes out of a car (or light truck) with a similarly large engine in order to provide capacity. If you do nothing, at least fit an overflow bottle (available from NAPA or make your own)to keep the coolant off the parking lot. Also take a few jugs of coolant, water or whatever to replace that which vaporizes in the high altitudes. My unsolicited opinion, BillP

Dan, sorry to offend you so very much by posting a response to the original question asked, but I did not think I was in any manner saying that your answer was any less correct than mine. *** Both are correct in my opinion and there could even be more that someone else has to add as well. BillP is exactly correct in his response to my previous post.<P>I am not in competition with you for the best or most correct answers. I am simply giving my opinion or my best answer in order for the poster to pick or choose what they will. This is called shared information and is not done in the spirit of competition, getting someone's feelings hurt, or what ever. I assume that any info you give on this particular board is your best shot at answering a question or providing information to share. No better or worse than my own in that regard.<P>Have a nice day, Dan. My inner-boiling point has now been allowed to cool a bit and I hope yours has as well. <P>Huey<p>[This message has been edited by coupe1942 (edited 02-10-2001).]

Any public forum breeds the odd. Water boils at 212 degrees, give or take the diffential based on altitude and pressure, Grain alcohol causes the uptake of oxygen in the blood to be less, and can create problems in reaction time, orientation, balance, and motor skills, as well as delusional and other chemically induced imbalances. What does this have to do with previous posts? <P>You decide.