Alteration to 263cu.in crankshaft

Guest gmorse

I have heard that a crankshaft from a 263 cu.in. with dynaflow can be used with a standard trans. if a bushing is machined to reduce the size needed for a standard pilot bearing. Any info appreciated. I have a chance to pick up a 1953 263 that came from a dynaflow equipped car.

Gary

Thanks for the reply, Jenz38. What if I locate a flywheel from a 263 with manual shift, that should go right on?

Thanks again for any info.

PS: I can not expand your engineering drawing to read it. Thanks anyway.

Gary

That not will fit, because the boltcircle between shift and auto trans cranks are different. You must have a flywheel with the smaller "flexplate"-boltcircle and that not exist.

if you are interested i can send you a clear drawing with readable(metric) letters.

The pilot bearing is from a 95 silverado and the clutch boltcircle is for a 4Ltr.jeep cherokee

pressure plate ... ;)

Edited by jenz38 (see edit history)

Thank you for all the info. I did not realize that there was so much difference between the 248 and the 263.

I notice that you are in Bremen, Germany. I was in your city many years ago. It was 1958 and I was I in the US military, and needed to ship a 1954 Mercedes 220a back to the States. The shipping agency arranged for me to leave it with them in Bremen.

So long ago I only remembered when I saw your address.

Thank you again for all your help.

Gary

I suggest you buy the book offered by the Mich chapter Buick tips and tricks. It's a gathering of fixes and modifications and generally excellent info mostly on straight eight stuff and a smattering of later stuff by club members who've done it. Valuable even if you been at it awhile becuz I forget junk and I use it for refreshing a stale memory. Right around 20 bucks and worth it! No, I'm from Many-snow-dah, noth'n in it for me.

Thank you for all the info. I did not realize that there was so much difference between the 248 and the 263.

I notice that you are in Bremen, Germany. I was in your city many years ago. It was 1958 and I was I in the US military, and needed to ship a 1954 Mercedes 220a back to the States. The shipping agency arranged for me to leave it with them in Bremen.

So long ago I only remembered when I saw your address.

Thank you again for all your help.

Gary

Gary,

Im appreciate it to hear that you know my hometown.

Many US Cars came into Germany about Bremen/Bremerhaven still now.

Every day on the way to my work i passed a yard where stored old cars wich they come fresh out of the oversea container and wait for shipping to theyr new owner in whole germany.

Sorry, back to topic .. ;)

there is no difference on 248 and 263 shift box circles and the same for the automatic boxes.

Hard to find a shift box 263, because the most people ordered in the years 50-53(263 only) the by now developed automatictrannys.

how much and wich condition is the 263 , that you can buy ?

Thanks to all who have replied. Jenz, the 263 that I looked at is in a salvage yard near me. It has not been run or even moved in many years. Probably not worth much more than scrap metal, as internals are unknown. It is near (10 miles) to me, so it would not have to be shipped. Most of the external parts are gone.

I did not realize there were so many differences between the 248 and 263. At my age, I probably do not have enough active years left. I will keep the '39 as is for now.

Gary

Gary,

you.can see the differents on the driver side of the engine block, the 263 have ,if i remember right 7 or 8 big vertical cast

rips and the 248 are not.

I think its a risk to buy this junk engine when you cant turn the engine and lost Parts,especialy the waterpump and thermostat housing,but if you need a new pump,you MUST have the old one because of the core.

If you can turn the engine and the waterpump and thermostat housing are still there it would be

a option for you.

May be the junk yard owner let you pull the cylinderhead for check the head and cylinder for damages ? Its a,quick job without manifolds...

You can also see then while turning a little bit back and forth the condition of the rod bearings.

Good luck

Edited by jenz38 (see edit history)

The standard transmission is the same from 1940-1953 for the small 248/263 cars. It's my understanding that they are compatible for both engines so long as the 263 engine came from a straight shift car. One of my cars came to me with a good 263 engine and I took it out and sold it for $400 and rebuilt a 1939 engine that I purchased elsewhere so my car would be authentic. Many of the older straight 8s I've found over the last 50 years have been changed to a 263 engine with no change to the transmission.

The more power of the 263 for me is at moment much more imporant then original condition.

All was i has changed was happend in the oldstyle, no modern plastik junk is on my car .. drives like a modern fast dailydriver...nobody can believe, at this engine power, that this is a prewar car.

The original Parts from my 38 are all stored, nothing is for sale, so its always possible to build it back to how it comes from the plant.

:)

jenz, from what you say you've done more than just install a 263cid engine into your car. That could have been done with no modification, UNLESS the 263cid had come from a Dynaflow car, then you have to do all that stuff to the crankshaft to make it work. In Germany you may have had to use what you could get, but here in the US it certainly isn't hard to find a 1951-53 Special with straight shift.

Hope I understand you right ...what i have done to my car in addition?

It is completly stripped ,only that what i need for a save drive, is on it.

The motor is pimped with much more compression , overbored to near 290 cui. with 84mm BMW pistons, bigger Valves with smaler stems, sharper cam and 3 kilo lighter Flywheel.

all is ventilated thru a oem buick compound carburetion system with two front ,accelerator pump equipped, stromberg aav 1 carbs.

The engine is prepared to a full filtering oiling system.

In the rear are 7.50 tires because of a higher ratio.

;)

Parts i try to get/colect in the US about club connection , this forum and the team buick forum.

hold also my ears open here in europe for complete 263 dynaflow engines.and hard to find

technical parts.

A good 38 special tranny for spare, i have found

near cleveland and its on the way to me.

The reason for that is, i dont know what is happen with the weak tranny with this engine in front of it. ;)

11931368ez.jpg

You're probably right about the transmission with all that added power up front. Only problem with the big rear tires is that is makes the car down in the front like a snooping dog. It is something that street rod people like to do here, but I hate that look. Maybe it is only how your picture was taken. Anyway, 263cid engines should be readily available through US junkyards like CTC Auto Ranch, Desert Valley Auto Parts and other big western junkyards. I practically gave one away in 2005 when I got my convertible ($200) and it was a really good running engine. I sold it so cheap to get rid of it that the man felt guilty and sent me another $200 several months later. The engine just has to be from a straight (standard) shift car so the crankshaft will work without a bunch of re-tooling costs. The problem with me is that I only like my '39s just the way Harlow Curtice made them. He was President of Buick Motor Division at the time.

If the trans breaks, put a Cent/Roadmstr trans in. Almost a bolt in since you don't have column shift linkage to fool with. Not that hard to find either.

Hope I understand you right ...what i have done to my car in addition?

It is completly stripped ,only that what i need for a save drive, is on it.

The motor is pimped with much more compression , overbored to near 290 cui. with 84mm BMW pistons, bigger Valves with smaler stems, sharper cam and 3 kilo lighter Flywheel.

all is ventilated thru a oem buick compound carburetion system with two front ,accelerator pump equipped, stromberg aav 1 carbs.

The engine is prepared to a full filtering oiling system.

In the rear are 7.50 tires because of a higher ratio.

;)

Parts i try to get/colect in the US about club connection , this forum and the team buick forum.

hold also my ears open here in europe for complete 263 dynaflow engines.and hard to find

technical parts.

A good 38 special tranny for spare, i have found

near cleveland and its on the way to me.

The reason for that is, i dont know what is happen with the weak tranny with this engine in front of it. ;)

11931368ez.jpg

As far as swapping a transmission from the larger series engines - It is not a direct swap. The Century / Roadmaster transmission is MUCH larger and a whole lot hevier. Longer too.

Correct Don,thats my problem.

If it would match, i had done it long ago ..

and i dont wanna change heavily the absolutly original condition of my car ,especially with a frame job.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard that a crankshaft from a 263 cu.in. with dynaflow can be used with a standard trans. if a bushing is machined to reduce the size needed for a standard pilot bearing. Any info appreciated. I have a chance to pick up a 1953 263 that came from a dynaflow equipped car.

Gary

Hollander'spost-60625-143142914894_thumb.jpg

post-60625-143142914798_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Sounds good, that this option will work .

I never had hear or read about it before... and i'm since years in the team buick forum.

For me is there too less meat to the inner diameter for that it will work healthy.

Anyway, thanks for postin :)

( I wanna have too ,a hollander interchange book :-) ...)

Some of those manuals are now reproduced. Just saw one for like 1938-1948 and I think it was carbooks.com or close. Prolly a lot less expensive than originals

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a standard flywheel and clutch assembly that was on the 1952 263 that is in my 37 40 Series which I have no use for. Made a long distance runner out of the 37 by going to a Turbo 350 (Bengsten adapter) and a 2.73 rear end. Plan on a lap of the US this summer and have no doubts that the 263 is up to the trip. Got her up to <> 17mpg and gas is down so this is the year, health providing.

I have a standard flywheel and clutch assembly that was on the 1952 263 that is in my 37 40 Series which I have no use for. Made a long distance runner out of the 37 by going to a Turbo 350 (Bengsten adapter) and a 2.73 rear end. Plan on a lap of the US this summer and have no doubts that the 263 is up to the trip. Got her up to <> 17mpg and gas is down so this is the year, health providing.

Wish I could join you, Evan. I am envious.

Ben

• 4 years later...
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2014 at 11:27 AM, jenz38 said:

Like this ?

16530931au.jpgHello, My name is Joseph and I am in the Monterey Bay area of California. I am attempting to change cranks in a 263 that came out of a 1951 automatic trans car. The machine shop that pulled the crank told me that the crank I supplied to change it with has bigger journals and crank size, and will not work. I am curious if you still have the drawing above to attempt adapting the auto crank for a manual flywheel and pilot bearing still. Any and all help is appreciated,

Joseph

rodderjoseph@yahoo.com

A new home made flywheel (with a original startering shrunked on it ) you need also because of the different boltcircle.

Edited by Joseph Escalante
addition (see edit history)