1932 Franklin Airman Transmission Leak

wrmyers35

I bought this Franklin in May 2014, significantly disassembled, needing #5 cylinder replaced & needing to be painted & reassembled!

I do my own mechanical work, and I'm in the process of reassembling it but I am mainly familiar with Model A Fords . . .this is my

first experience with a Franklin.

As shown in the picture I'm progressing nicely, but when I checked the free wheeling unit on the transmission I found it empty.

post-101049-143142839488_thumb.jpg

I filled it to the proper level and it is now leaking badly onto my garage floor ~ (I guess why it was empty!)

Messages from Jeff Hasslen & Tom Rassmussen suggest that I have to have some machine work done to make a modern seal fit.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I've made pretty good headway with it, but concerned that I've never worked on a free wheeling unit.

How about a step-by-step instruction on how to remove the free wheeling unit?

Would anyone help me?

i have a few apart but have not put them together. they are just splined onto the transmission. Take the bolts out and pull.

this is the second request this month so I will try to see how we will put seals in. I am also in the process of restoring a 32 sedan.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought this Franklin in May 2014, significantly disassembled, needing #5 cylinder replaced & needing to be painted & reassembled!

I do my own mechanical work, and I'm in the process of reassembling it but I am mainly familiar with Model A Fords . . .this is my

first experience with a Franklin.

As shown in the picture I'm progressing nicely, but when I checked the free wheeling unit on the transmission I found it empty.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]282089[/ATTACH]

I filled it to the proper level and it is now leaking badly onto my garage floor ~ (I guess why it was empty!)

Messages from Jeff Hasslen & Tom Rassmussen suggest that I have to have some machine work done to make a modern seal fit.

Does anyone have any experience doing this?

I've made pretty good headway with it, but concerned that I've never worked on a free wheeling unit.

How about a step-by-step instruction on how to remove the free wheeling unit?

Would anyone help me?

Well, I pulled the free-wheeling unit out - not too big a project . . .

I carefully removed the seal and took it to Purvis Industries to see if they could find a match.

They found a Timken seal with the same OD & ID measurements, and it has the same seal width/height as the original, but it does not have the 'shoulder' on the outer edge. I presume the shoulder is supposed to keep it from going in too far?

Since the ID, OD& seal height measurements are the same, and since it would be a 'pressed' fit, I decided to try it.

I installed the seal, it definitely is a pressed fit, I reassembled the unit & installed it back into the car. With the pressed fit I feel it will remain in place without any problem (The same type fit that we use for the rear drum seal in a Model A Ford)!

I've driven it about 5 miles and it has no leak! (The old seal leaked as soon as I put oil in the unit!)

If anyone is interested, the Timken seal part number is 473476. It cost me $19.02 including Texas sales tax.

Edited by wrmyers35 (see edit history)