Brake pressure issue.

wht89reatta

Hello, today on my drive home from work the diagnostic center came up and said that I had low ABS pressure, the pedal still felt fine and it still stopped normally. When I got home and shut the car off I noticed the master cylinder pump was still running. Is this just an ABS pressure sensor issue or is there something more going on? Any help is appreciated.

-Chris-

So I just went out and checked the brake pump. The accumulator was extremely hot to the touch. So I unplugged the pump to let the whole thing cool down for a moment. I plugged it back in after about a minute and the motor was still running all the time. I unplugged it again. I went to get a couple of tools to check the relays. and when I plugged the pump back in it ran for about 15 seconds and then shut off. I will keep an eye on this in the next few days so as to give anyone else with a similar situation help in the future.

Pull the connector on the pressure switch... it is next to the motor and usually has a green tint to the alumumin housing. If the connector is damp, it could be the pressure switch.

Below is a greatly simplified schematic of the relay, pressure sw, and pump.

Note that the pump will not work if the relay is bad OR if the pressure switch is bad and not energizing the relay.

The pressure switch will not work if the 5 amp fuse is blown.

You can test the motor by appling 12V directly to the motor.

post-30596-143142839445_thumb.jpg

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)