53-55 6 bolt 3 speed w/bellhousing

MrEarl

6 bolt, 3 speed transmission and bellhousing. This is the heavy duty tranny that was used behind 322's in Century's and Supers in 1953, 54 and 55. Because it was so bullet proof, it was very popular with hot rodders of the time.

Good part is that by using the furnished bellhousing this will also bolt up to a 54-55 Special. Asking $650 plus shipping. It IS heavy. Email me at 1954buick at gmail dot com if interested

Edited by MrEarl
remove note "same as 56 except rear splines) (see edit history)

Thank you to the gentleman from Mini-Haplass... I think I use to know that. same same as Olds 56 trannies right, 1 inch longer? And if memory, or what is left of it serves me correctly, the difference is in the rear bearing retainer, right?

I stand corrected and op edited.

at least it got brought back to the top...

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Just repeating what I was told. Said the married man! Yes the tail hsg is longer and also the main shaft. I haven't checked mine yet, but I think the fine spline might be just the U joint not the main shaft end splines?

Makes sense to me, the 56 dynaflow I put in my '55 Special was 1" longer also. But the added length was on the front, the bell housing was an additional 1" deeper incorporating the additional length that the convertor extended out the front. Can't speak to the big car transmissions, I think it has been said all 56's were the same length.??

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

• 1 month later...