Scratches in Windshield

Is there a way to remove scratches from the front windshield, especially the arc from the windshield wipers? I tried tooth paste once, but it didn't work. Does it have to be the nonfluoride type?

Where can I buy this product ? I am here in Brazil and I would like to import this product. Do you know a web site that this product is sold ?<P>Regards,<BR>Julio Albernaz

Eastwood is good. However, you may check with your local glass replacement shop to see if they carry any similar product. Eastwood ships pretty well, so the wait is not all that long. Try to find out the reason your glass was scratched in the first place; bad wiper arm, wiper blade, etc. and fix that so it doesn't happen again.<P>Good luck,<BR>Huey

I believe you'll find that the glass compound and buffer wheel sold through Eastwood is the same as most auto glass shops will use. It works great for cleaning off most marks and polishing the glass, but I have never had any luck in removing heavy scratches though. I was told by most glass shop owners here in my area, that if you can feel the scratch by catching your fingernail on it, it will not be possible to get it all out without burning or distorting the area in the glass. This is the luck I had anyways.<BR>Rick

I was in the glass business for 32 years. Rick is correct! If you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, it is too deep to remove without distorting the glass.<P>Look at it this way. To polish out a deep scratch you MUST remove enough of the surface of the glass to make it smooth again.<BR>When you do that, you in effect make a lens.<BR>Hence you will get a distorted image when looking through the polished area.<P>Also be careful when polishing even light rubs, as they are called in the trade, that you do NOT build up heat. You can "burn" the surface of the glass and that will cause instant distortion. smile.gifsmile.gif hvs