help locating vin# on my 1957 cadillac eldorado biarritz project

Guest stevemaman

Guest stevemaman

hello everyone, i am new to this forum.

i bought this project years ago and i need to register it at the dmv.

they are asking me for the vin# which i have no clue where to locate it.

can anyone help ?

post-104415-143142829808_thumb.jpg

post-104415-143142829811_thumb.jpg

post-104415-143142829813_thumb.jpg

post-104415-143142829815_thumb.jpg

post-104415-143142829818_thumb.jpg

isnt the vin or chassis # supposed to be written on the plate ? the plate is in the pictures i posted...

No. There are times where the frame # will match the engine #, but I honestly don't know enough about this particular car to tell you for sure. The plate your looking at is the body id tag.

I agree with Restorer, nice car!

Guest stevemaman

so the id tag doesnt carry the id of the car or vin # that should be on a title...? where can i find the vin then if no ton the id tag ?

According to The Standard Catalog the engine and frame numbers should be the same. The serial number should be on the left door pillar (inside the car). The engine number should be on the front of the block. There should also be a frame number on the right side of the chassis just behind the engine mount.

I think the frame number is the same as the vin number. It was for my 1951. The engine should also have to same number.

Here's a quick description of the locations I found on the HAMB:

The engine number is located on a flat machined surface of a boss, cast on the right front face of the block, also on the right-hand frame bar just behind the engine support bracket, and on a lubrication plate attached to the left front body pillar. The lubrication plate is located on the left door lock pillar.

Ah, but what chrome there is costs plenty to do correctly. Those bumperettes are cast aluminum alloy,

and not easy to plate...

1957_Cadillac_Eldorado_Biarritz.jpg

At least it's not a '58. Stainless, pot metal, cast aluminum!

And that's just at the rear. ;)

1958%20Cadillac%20Eldorado%20Biarritz%20.jpg

It'll be fantastic when done. Glad you rescued it.

TG

Edited by TG57Roadmaster (see edit history)

We've done a '57 Biarritz as well as a '58 Brougham and a '59 Conv. Yes there is a lot of stainless on a '57 but it's flash chrome plated stainless so before you can polish it you have to have the chrome plating removed then reapplied after you polish if you want it to stay nice. You can't polish chrome, it's way too hard. Agreed the '58 would be more expensive to chrome, especially those cast aluminum bumper ends. I think of the 3 years the '57 is my favorite.

According to The Standard Catalog the engine and frame numbers should be the same. The serial number should be on the left door pillar (inside the car). The engine number should be on the front of the block. There should also be a frame number on the right side of the chassis just behind the engine mount.

open the driver's door.

between the two door hinges, on the door jamb, see a stainless steel plate with serial number.