Dodge Sedan 1929, Identifying body number location

db17

Hello everybody, I recently acquired a 1929 Dodge Brothers Standard Six. My problem is locating the body number. I have the motor number, I have the frame number, (they don't match) I have no tag on the dash, and no plate on the floor board. I have sanded all the paint off the pass post, both sides, front and middle post and can not find any numbers. Where else can I look?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hello everybody, I recently acquired a 1929 Dodge Brothers Standard Six. My problem is locating the body number. I have the motor number, I have the frame number, (they don't match) I have no tag on the dash, and no plate on the floor board. I have sanded all the paint off the pass post, both sides, front and middle post and can not find any numbers. Where else can I look?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Your engine number and frame number will not match. Do you have a photo of the dashboard top post here?

Could you please post another photo or two so we can see the exterior of your car? The serial number should be on a plate on the toe board next to the steering column. If you could give us your engine number, we can tell you more.

Thanks for your reply. The floor broads have all been replaced. Here are some pictures. The vin or motor # is J60132 making it a 1928-1929 Standard Six. There must be somewhere on the body a number to match the motor to the body. post-80535-14314282635_thumb.jpg

post-80535-143142826282_thumb.jpg

post-80535-143142826312_thumb.jpg

post-80535-143142826354_thumb.jpg

From Myers catalog there were only 75519 standard sixes built, from Feb 29 to Dec. 31 of 1929. With four cylinder cars the engine number is approximately 50,000 higher then the serial number, no idea on standard sixes. The body number is usually the sequence number of the particular body you have, like the 830th sedan built. The serial number of J 60,000 says it was built in October. IF, and that's a BIG IF, the engine number is this J60,000 number you reference it COULD mean the CAR serial number is actually around J10,000 making it built in March-April. Contact Tom Myers to find out where the stamped number is in the frame for SS's. He has one of the best SS coupes I know of. As John said numbers will not match. If your title used the engine number instead of the car serial number it is probably incorrect. PS, a standard six is a fairly scarce vehicle. There are two blue sedans in our DBC region.

Thanks for helping me figure out this numbers question. This is what I have, frame # J-46000, engine # J60000 and firewall # 830, (number is on firewall, pass-side by the coil). I don't know is this number (830) would be considered a body number.

Thanks again!!

Edited by db17 (see edit history)

• 4 years later...