Sign in to follow this  
straight shooter

Marvel Mystery Oil

Let's not get into politics again guys. We all should be sick of politics for one year.

Did someone do that?

I guess, the offending post was deleted?

^I've been waiting for the snake oil response.......took longer than I figured....... :rolleyes:

Back in the day, I remember hearing from multiple sources that mmo cured stuck lifters. Does anybody know if the formula given is still the one used, more or less? I suspect they have at least removed the Carbon tet and the formaldeyde. I believe these were shown to result in the sterility of a great many navy veterans. The navy, I am told, used copious amounts of it for cleaning purposes. In texture, it seems much similar to the consensus about the best penetrating oil. (discussed at length on this forum), i.e., rubbing it in ones fingers, the mmo reminds me of the ATF and acetone mix which the members of this forum agreed was/is the ultimate penetrating oil. I also recall some saying that mmo works well for unsticking stuck valves, when added to the gasoline in small quantities.

And don't forget......"one half of one GREEN M&M." per tank full.

I don't understand, please explain !

Wayne

And don't forget......"one half of one GREEN M&M." per tank full.

Oh my, now you've done it! You've revealed the formula for the emergency rations for the crew of the Mother Ship! There's no turnin' back now.

Aghast,

Grog

Back in the day, I remember hearing from multiple sources that mmo cured stuck lifters. Does anybody know if the formula given is still the one used, more or less? I suspect they have at least removed the Carbon tet and the formaldeyde. I believe these were shown to result in the sterility of a great many navy veterans. The navy, I am told, used copious amounts of it for cleaning purposes. In texture, it seems much similar to the consensus about the best penetrating oil. (discussed at length on this forum), i.e., rubbing it in ones fingers, the mmo reminds me of the ATF and acetone mix which the members of this forum agreed was/is the ultimate penetrating oil. I also recall some saying that mmo works well for unsticking stuck valves, when added to the gasoline in small quantities.

I have used MMO to un-stick lifters. I poured MMO straight into the quadrajet of an an Olds 455. The lifer came un-stuck. And the Olds laid a smoke screen big enough to hide a Battleship.

Along with you, I have to believe the Carbon Tetrachloride is no longer used.

The owner's manual for 1936 Buicks suggests Carbon Tetrachloride for the removal of stains on the interior fabrics...

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

Guest BillP

PRS 519 says, "The navy, I am told, used copious amounts of it for cleaning purposes."

I was on the Enterprise in Vietnam. Only 3 chemicals were used on that ship. Jet fuel, Brasso and Coffee.

PRS 519 says, "I believe these were shown to result in the sterility of a great many navy veterans."

I have three sons and four grand-daughters. Now maybe that's because we had no MMO on the Big E.

Put me in the MM corner. I try to put some in my F1 and 8N every few tank fulls. When I run out or forget the 8N sometimes gets a valve sticking, I add a dose run it a little while and shut it off and let it sit overnight and no more stuck valve. Done this several times. Also a believer in Seafoam, it has fixed several carb problems.

By the way a mix of 50:50 MM and Kerosine works great to soak stuck engines and free up stuck rings in engines that have sat a long time.

PRS 519 says, "The navy, I am told, used copious amounts of it for cleaning purposes."

I was on the Enterprise in Vietnam. Only 3 chemicals were used on that ship. Jet fuel, Brasso and Coffee.

PRS 519 says, "I believe these were shown to result in the sterility of a great many navy veterans."

I have three sons and four grand-daughters. Now maybe that's because we had no MMO on the Big E.

Thanks for the smile, but I think my musings were relevant to World War two

vintage memories (before my time). I believe there really was much sterility among navy personnel who cleaned with carbon tet during the

big war.

Perry

Uhhhhh....the biggest baby boom in US history was immediately after WWII. Carbon Tet was implicated in bladder and kidney cancer I believe, not sterility.

When I was growing up in the '60s and '70s my father used it on the recommendation of a trusted mechanic. I still use it today and have a trusted mechanic who recommends it. We had a 2001 Chevy Venture that had a transmission problem when it was 8 years old - the transmission would buck and jerk after we put the car in drive. The mechanic said to pour Marvel Mystery Oil in with the transmission fluid. The transmission never bucked or jerked after that. We avoided an expensive repair.

You can't put MMO in the gas tank if you have a catalytic converter. In my antique cars I always put a pint of MMO in at each oil change and four ounces in the gas at each fill up. It's worked well for me for many years. I think the best thing about MMO is that it aids in lubrication and reduces wear.

When I was growing up in the '60s and '70s my father used it on the recommendation of a trusted mechanic. I still use it today and have a trusted mechanic who recommends it. We had a 2001 Chevy Venture that had a transmission problem when it was 8 years old - the transmission would buck and jerk after we put the car in drive. The mechanic said to pour Marvel Mystery Oil in with the transmission fluid. The transmission never bucked or jerked after that. We avoided an expensive repair.

You can't put MMO in the gas tank if you have a catalytic converter. In my antique cars I always put a pint of MMO in at each oil change and four ounces in the gas at each fill up. It's worked well for me for many years. I think the best thing about MMO is that it aids in lubrication and reduces wear.

says MMO; "Not so!"

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/faq/

F.A.Q

hr.gif

ADDING MARVEL MYSTERY OIL® TO FUEL

Is Marvel Mystery Oil® safe to use in today’s “high-tech” cars?

Yes! Marvel Mystery Oil is completely safe in today’s high-tech cars and provide the same benefits as it has since 1923-cleaner engines, upper cylinder lubrication, reduced acid and sludge build up, improved fuel economy, clean and lubricated fuel systems and many more!

Yes! Marvel Mystery Oil is completely safe in today’s high-tech cars and provide the same benefits as it has since 1923-cleaner engines, upper cylinder lubrication, reduced acid and sludge build up, improved fuel economy, clean and lubricated fuel systems and many more!

I use MMO in my 2003 Dodge Durango

I think the best thing about MMO is that it aids in lubrication and reduces wear.

That is exactly what oil does! All oils!

But how does anyone say it is this MMO stuff rather than their engine oil? It seems to me you are basically adding a viscosifier (low viscosity) to your oil. Why not use lighter oil? Logic is missing here.

The word "mystery" in the label would make me suspicious from the outset. All oil is a mystery to most of us. There are volumes on these fora about it with not so much fact getting in the way coz not many of us understand the subject. When I was studying hydraulic engineering the boundary layer theory confused me so I didn't do that part of the exam. I sure wish I had persevered with it.

Speaking only for myself, I use it for it's ability to dissolve varnish and carbon, not for it's lubricating qualities. Obviously it is thin and not to be used as a primary lubricant, too much added to the crankcase can cause lubrication failure just like adding gasoline to the oil. When dribbled into the intake or carburetor, it can free up gummy valve stems while providing some lubrication as well.

I use mmo in my old cars along with the newer daily drivers some in oil and in the gas along with seafoam sometimes sucked in a vacuum port then let sit for 10 min . Let the smoke roll from the tail pipe .

Many years ago at the annual convention in Philadelphia, one of the seminars was about oils. The presenters were chemical engineers from an oil company. They discussed oil additives in detail. They pointed out that oils were blended with a specific purpose in mind and that the engineers had already put in additives. When you put additives in you change the chemical make up of the original oil product. The line I remember was "The best you can hope fore when mixing in another additive is that nothing bad results". It makes sense. What is in that oil can has been refined with chemicals added. I don't know what else besides oil is in that can. How do I know what effect an additive will have?

I've been reading through this thread, trying to understand the pros and cons, but have yet to see anyone post that, "Marvel Oil ruined my engine".

A real shame that the petroleum gasoline companies couldn't make that statement!

Actually MMO was implicated in the crash of a small airplane in 2002 or so. Try the Google machine for details.

I've been reading through this thread, trying to understand the pros and cons, but have yet to see anyone post that, "Marvel Oil ruined my engine".

A real shame that the petroleum gasoline companies couldn't make that statement!

Wear is slow. All one's oil and lubrication choices will affect its rate. How would you know if you are increasing wear? And do we all change the oil frequently enough anyway? People jump to conclusions about things like this all the time, without much evidence. Me included, according to my wife!

White spirits in one's oil? No thanks. It is pretty similar to adding gasoline. Animal fat in one's oil? No thanks.

In my experience, the label is not very good and anyway, I don't know what I need to know to understand what is there and what is not there.

There is a great deal of misinformation about oils out there. How many realize that the number before the W is for low temperature (i.e. start-up) performance and thus has the biggest affect on engine wear?

Personally, I wouldn't add penetrating oil to my engine oil. I'll stick with the oil company formulations, which are well researched. The hard part is to know which formulation to chose!

Spinney, I think the most important thing spoken here on this thread was the post about trying to prevent the gasoline storage problem. Personally I have a '29 Essex that endured a broken piston. Needless to say, the carburetor now has ethanol remnants in it, so that will need attention too during the rebuild. I usually burn that out after tours, and refill with non-ethy, but, well it wasn't running too good.:)