Star Wagon overheating

Working on a 23 Star Station Wagon. Having trouble with overheating. After maybe 10 minutes the radiator is steaming and blowing all the coolant out. Any suggestions? The fan belt felt loose so I tightened it. that seemed to help, but still overheating. The owner used some sort of radiator sealant that feels greasy and thick, Stopped up? HELP!

After you are sure the cooling system is OK, be sure to check your spark. If you are running a retarded spark, the engine will cook. I have found more heating problems are related to timing than poor radiators, but I always go after the radiator first.

Andy,<BR>Chances are it is just clogged from the sealant. I'd just go ahead and pull the radiator. Take it to a reputable radiator repair shop and get it cooked. Then have them go completely over it as so they can properly fix the leakage that the owner was trying to fix with the sealer in the first place. I'd also back flush the block real good. Check also to see if somebody hasn't installed a in hose thermostat.<BR>See what that does and let us know.<BR>Rick

If the Star radiator is similar to the Model A, it is not uncommon to find previous owners have used the wrong lubricant in the water pump and thus it resulted in the lubricant clogging fins and all as it circulated into the radiator. Maybe the Star does not do this, but the Model A is always subject to this same problem. Also remember that the early engines were not designed to use straight coolant. Doing so also retards the cooling process and can result in inefficient cooling such as the boiling over you mention. I fully agree with the spark retarding being something to look at as well. Just some ideas to ponder.<P>Huey<P>[This message has been edited by coupe1942 (edited 10-28-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by coupe1942 (edited 10-28-2000).]

• 1 month later...

Andy: I have a 24 Star and a 23 Moon. Both have continential engines with long hoses coming out of the water pump. I have found that the inside of the hose can break down and clog the system. See if the hose is spongy? If it is i will bet it is plugging up under load. Also pull your water pump off and make sure that the gasket is not blocking water flow and that the prop. blades are not rusted to much giving to much clearance between the end plate and implellar. Make sure you use a new gasket as a bad gasket will allow air into the system.<P>------------------<BR>Jan_Arnett@fernald.gov<BR>AACA, HCCA, Durant, Model T International, Model T Ford Club of America