1927 Dodge cabriolet sees the light of day...

trimacar

I went back and looked at threads, in 2003 asked my friends on this forum about this car. It was in a basement garage, the door (caulked shut) boarded up and insulated, sitting there for years. I'd become friends with the owner, a likable old codger, who unfortunately passed away recently. He'd told his son and daughter about my interest in the car, so the story had a sad/happy ending.

The previous owner was a pioneer of sorts in this area with early car restorations, having a Locomobile (sold a while back), a 1914 T (beautiful car, and going to a great home), and a very early 1916 Indian motorcycle with sidecar (sold a while back), and others. My good friend Greg, who's oft copied on the Avanti Unimog John thread, said that this fellow was his mentor in learning how to properly and authentically restore early cars. This 1927 Dodge cabriolet, the first of it's body style for Dodge and a rare car (albeit not that valuable), was bought new in Winchester Virginia, bought by previous owner in the early 1960's, restored to a then-high standard, used, then stored.

The car has the original Spanish Leather (imitation leather) interior and rumble seat, a good quality paint job (but should be dark green), and a top that will probably be replaced by a trimmer I know quite well.

Today, the garage door was free again, and we pulled the car out of it's resting place, ready for another adventure! I was so smart, taking pictures and not pushing. I was not so smart, to load the car had to put my Suburban and trailer in the parking lot next door due to lack of room. I'd asked permission earlier that day of the Troopers. For those of you who may not know this, parking a Suburban with an expired inspection sticker in a State Police parking lot is not such a good idea. Yes, I have a ticket. Yes, the Trooper was very nice about it, and when I said "thank you", he said "I'm NOT going to say you're welcome...." They had the grace not to embarrass me in front of the other people there while loading the car, one of the Troopers followed me and got me on the highway. Sheesh.....but my fault...post-31482-143142820749_thumb.jpg

Very happy to be the next caretaker of this special car. Not a high dollar Classic barn find, but exciting nonetheless....

post-31482-143142820737_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142820741_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142820743_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142820746_thumb.jpg

Having a car the wife likes makes the hobby SOOOO much easier. Car looks really nice. What are you plans for it? Looks like all it needs is a wash and a fresh tank of gas but as is always the case after sitting for so long I am sure it needs a bit more.

Plans are to get it back on the road as is.....previous owner was very good with his stored cars, and kept them drained and turned over, but sure it will need cleaned gas tank, rebuilt vacuum tank, and so forth....wife wants to paint it the original green but that's down the road a ways!

The Locomobile was a 1924 open front limousine, restored in the '60's and a first place AACA then...it sold to a dealer a number of years ago, has recently turned up again at auction....the Model T is a 1914, beautifully restored from a correct "real" car, and is going to a good home.....only thing left at house, car wise, is a 1962 Studebaker four door, beautiful car too if anyone's into that, asking for offers against 10k asking, if interested pm me and I'll send you a phone number, in Winchester Va....

post-31482-143142823739_thumb.jpg

This one....I'd be embarrassed to tell you the price I was given to buy this car from the previous owner of the Dodge....you'd call me a fool for passing on it, and you'd be correct.....Locomobiles of this period are funny cars, twenties styling but running gear little changed from 1910....

• 1 year later...

Update on the Dodge Cabriolet, the engine, clutch, and transmission were all very tired, which is interesting considering the rest of the car is so solid.

Removed, rebuilt, and today installed back in car, now to add all the little goodies that can make it run again!  Should be on the road this summer, first time in a few decades, and much healthier this time around!

motor ready to install.JPG

motor installed.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for compliment, but the credit goes to my friend Rob B., who's really doing all the work, I just show up now and then to help or watch (both of which he charges extra for!)

This should be a fun little car to drive, I understand it's Model A or better performance.....with a five main bearing engine, and typical Dodge, every thing is heavy duty, if you ignore all the cursed pot metal they used....

engine with head.jpg

Guest AlCapone
On April 28, 2016 at 11:44 AM, trimacar said:

Thanks for compliment, but the credit goes to my friend Rob B., who's really doing all the work, I just show up now and then to help or watch (both of which he charges extra for!)

This should be a fun little car to drive, I understand it's Model A or better performance.....with a five main bearing engine, and typical Dodge, every thing is heavy duty, if you ignore all the cursed pot metal they used....

engine with head.jpg

I have the Model A Cabriolet you refer to. I love it and you will also. Happy motoring! Wayne