Sign in to follow this  
Hudsy Wudsy

Yes, they're still out there...

John, we should also factor in a room full of people watching you, plus sometimes television cameras. That much attention focused on me could drive me to an overwrought state in a hurry. It would take a cooler head than mine to make a rational choice to quit bidding at some predetermined point.

For those of you who looked at this thread a while back, this auction has no gone into it's "live" state. The bid is currently at $15,500. I'm having a little difficulty navigating the proxibid site, so I don't know when it closes.

Thanks for posting back. You always wonder where things like this end. Now for anyone interested, you can drive this home and put money in the bank for what that Pontiac would cost you to get to this condition.post-43003-143142843359_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142843354_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142843357_thumb.jpg

Randy, have you ever run your Chrysler thru an auction?

I never tried. We had a pretty close one but even though it was a big car weekend in the area it was hot rod oriented and the action is on the streets not 4 miles down the road where they hold the auction. I looked at the cars they were offering as well. Two were stock 40's-50's cars that you might see at an auction you would want to run it through. The rest were Muscle cars and plane 80's cars. I didn't think it was the right venue and a waste of time because of the Activity in town. They have a cruise for the cars and actually block the streets. This year they weren't even letting people back into the village unless they lived their because they exceeded the parking spaces and the town becomes so congested you can barely walk.

I have a bunch of tire kickers right now. Maybe someone will finally realize it's not a Ford and they may never have the opportunity to buy one again. I've had people that won't buy it because they won't buy it unless I come down $1000 more. I guess they really don't want it. Would you let 1000 stop you from buying a car like this? I know I just paid $3,000 more for a tractor than what I wanted to because it's what I wanted. In fact I think half the vehicles I bought in the last few years were more than I wanted to spend. I guess no one really wants it right now.

I think I would put it on eBay. It may not sell, but you will get EXPOSURE. If I had a car that I was impartial to and needed the room or the money, I wouldn't the a grand get in the way.

I honestly wonder if any of the offers given were real. They always seem to know my bottom line then want it for a little less. Not one person has looked at it yet. Lots of interest. I would think if you were willing to spend 36,500 sight unseen for a car that the owner stated it's 37,500 firm you would atleast go look at the car to see if it really was worth the extra grand.

I know if I was that close I would find a way to come up with another grand. I even have a full tub of NOS Mopar and Autolite parts for the car as well as a complete set of really nice gauge clusters with all the trim and glass. The parts include NOS regulator, Coil, a whole pile of Transmission parts new in the boxes, extra door handles, Dimmer switch, lots of service stuff to keep the car running. Stuff that you know having Auburns, Doesn't grow on trees and isn't cheap when you find them.

I guess part of my problem is I am a little partial to it as well. I want the next guy to appreciate what he's buying and the work that went into making it run and function as it does. I guess if it was a dead barn find that would cost 20 grand to get on the road it would have more mystique.

Not a big deal for now. They say there is an A$$ for every seat, This car I'll wait until I find it.

I may do the ebay thing again, when the dust settles from buying a new house and moving, which we are still in the middle of.

The formula for determining the value of a "barn find" is as follows:

(restored car's value x 1.3) + full frame-off restoration cost + alcohol = barn find bidder

Without a doubt, the funniest thing I have read this month. Fairly accurate too!

With regards to spending the extra $1,000 or so, when two buyers get in a stalemate over such a small amount of money I think it's wise to then move to another means of negotiating to come to an agreement, maybe ask for delivery to be included or some spares, or even splitting charges that may apply such as with a credit card transaction. I've asked for, and received, things like spare key sets made up or repairs, new tires, and so on. Think of your options for a specific car before you start negotiating. Some people feel they have dropped their price far enough or simply don't want to back off their "firm" price as a point of pride, but would be willing to make the deal otherwise.