1979 Buick LeSabre Sport Coupe, 3.8 Liter V6 Turbocharged

Centurion

This is NOT my car, but I'd like to bring it to our members' attention.

In my view, this often-forgotten model is among the most interesting Buicks built during the last forty years. It's a car that we rarely see, but a model that should certainly be preserved. I hope that it will land in the hands of an appreciative new owner -- hopefully, a BCA member.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321568817037?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

15688638356_63729fdb95_b.jpg

15526490259_e3ff8d7c1d_b.jpg

15710462941_ac05359519_b.jpg

15526488379_775134c98b_b.jpg

15526488089_c3dd035b9f_b.jpg

Wow, I've seen that car somewhere several years ago--probably for sale at a swap meet around here, and now that I look at the Ebay listing, it is a Dallas, Texas area car. It has very unusual bucket seats and center console with floor shift, and I've never seen another 1979 full-sized Buick with those options. It's also a car with no air conditioning, and in the Dallas area, that is a real negative. With no vent windows and only two side windows that go down, these cars are tough to live with in our summer heat, which is why I never considered buying it. Maybe someone from a cooler climate will step up to the plate. Brian, thanks for posting it. If someone needs me to go look at it, I could do that this weekend, but the photos the seller provides are quite good. It is about 65 miles away from me.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Guest my3buicks

I don't buy that it was the only 79 LeSabre without factory air as it claims, maybe the only Sport coupe, but I guess it does say documented, so they obviously haven't had the numbers run. There were a lot of really really basic LeSabres sold. There was a rough burgundy one for same in my area a few months ago, and there is a very light mint green one that runs the show circuit in this area. It sure would be a great example to have in the garage if you could deal with the no A/C.

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest sintid58

I owned one of these. I bought it at a used car dealer in Sioux City Iowa with the idea of restoring it to go along with my 70 GSX. The one I had was white with red bucket seat interior and the console. It was mechanically sound but pretty rusty. I think I paid $1000 for it in around 1990 and ended up selling it to my dad. He drove it into the ground and after the turbo went out it went to the junk yard. Don't think they will ever be worth a ton of money but really wish I had preserved it somehow.

• 1 year later...
Guest Jim zubkowski

I've got one !! It's got 156000 Kms original on it. The clear coat is peeling,no rust runs great. Even my wife loves this car. This Buick is slightly different than mine, I have bench seats , I do like the look of the buckets though!anyone  give me a slight idea of what it's worth?? I bought it at about 132000 kms.

Here's some more documentation for our forum's record,

and for potential future buyers:

It attracted 77 bids on Ebay in the auction ending November 9, 2014.

Since that's a year and a half ago, who knows whether it's still for sale?

The top bid was $10,100, while his listed price was $11,500--not very far apart.

The seller was "Steve" (seller name "Steve4209") and his telephone is (972) 655-8134.

Mr. Centurion, how did you find this car on Ebay?  

Searching for past auctions doesn't typically reveal the older auctions.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:10 PM, Jim zubkowski said:

I've got one !! It's got 156000 Kms original on it. The clear coat is peeling,no rust runs great. Even my wife loves this car. This Buick is slightly different than mine, I have bench seats , I do like the look of the buckets though!anyone  give me a slight idea of what it's worth?? I bought it at about 132000 kms.

I doubt it is a base coat/clear coat car.   BUT, if the paint is peeling I would guess that it is a silver or light metallic blue car.  Very common problem with the paint in those years on ALL car manufacturers.  It was worse the farther south you lived or higher the elevation.(think Denver).