Planitary Drive?

Guest rcirilli

Guest rcirilli

That may be spelled wrong but can anyone explain to me what a plantitary drive is? I'm looking at a 1908 Buick Model 10 that has one. Is that good, bad or just another idea?

if the drive you are talking about is anything like I think it may be, your every day car if it's an automatic transmission has one. By the way, it's planetary. think of the gears as our solar system. in the middle you have the Sun gear (actual name). this gear as teeth that mesh with what is called pinion gears. these gears are sandwiched between the sun gear and a outer ring gear. now it is a case of are you turning the sun gear which turns the ring gear or vise verse. The number of teeth on the sun gear, pinion gear and ring gear wil give you your gear ratio. This is all hard to try to explain in text. Email me if you still don't understand. Don't worry Father Ron, I'll end up getting anymore info posted for others, if more explaination is needed.

If I am incorrect, will someone with superior knowledge PLEASE correct me. Early planetary transmissions consisted of a flat disk fastened to the end of the crankshaft in some fashion with another wheel like lined disk mounted to a horizontal shaft 90 degrees to the flat disk. As the wheel was moved across the flat disk it achieved an infinite number of ratios. On dead center, it would not turn at all. Of course the lined wheel in some manner drove the rear wheels of the car. Moving the lined wheel past center gave you reverse. I believe the farther out you moved on the flat disk the faster the car went. <P>I believe I once saw this in operation on a Cartercar. Bob, does this appear to be similar to what is on the '08 Buick, or are there gears as in novaman's description.<P>How did I do, Professor Rick. smile.gifsmile.gif ~ Hvs

Damn! mad.gif I should have gone to bed earlier last night after driving 460 miles home from Billings, Montana, instead of getting on here and making a fool of myself.<P>I think I had better crawl back in my hole and regroup. blush.gif hvs<P>Thanks guys. smile.gifsmile.gif

Are you having a bad day Howard?<BR>The nice thing about being a DF'er here who trys to help with answers, is that we can goof up from time to time and not have to worry about being laid off or fired. (Or can we Ron?) rolleyes.gif<P>I'm just glad it was Dan and Phil who corrected you. (Whew!) Don't want to get on your bad side. shocked.gif<P>Rick<p>[This message has been edited by Rick Hoover (edited 10-10-2000).]

Guest rcirilli

I really haven't seen the Buick yet. I was trying to get an understanding before I made a complete foul out of myself. This gives me a lot more to go on. I understand it was taken apart to paint and never was finished. If I end up with it I will have two problems, one understanding a new drive system and putting together a jig saw puzzle. Should be interesting!

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

I don't know what automobiles may have had a friction drive like Howard described, but it works like a charm on my Snapper mower.

I am of the opinion that incorrect answers that stimulate discussion are absolutely OK on this DF. By the way, the Friction Drive was also used on at least one motorcycle, the Ner-A-Car back in the late teens and early '20s. However on the motorcycle you could not move the driven disk beyond center to get reverse.<P>Bob, I have several books which describe planetary transmissions if you need some literature. Also am building one for a 1903 Duryea.

Guest rcirilli

hvs, I think the asking price is between 10K and 12K. I was thinking more like $9k as a starting point. People that know the car said it was a good runner before being torn down. Am I being too cheap or too generous? My latest book shows $13,200 in number 3 condition.