We are trying to value our new car?????

Guest thomas flyer

Thomasflyer

A very unfortunate story for your father. The fact that he gifted it to you indicates 2 things, #1 He no longer wanted the car. #2 He likes you and has hopes that you can enjoy it or dispose if it at you will. A real shame if he was hoodwinked into buying it as a 1911, but if he did not want or could not pursue fraud charges, it's yours now.

Your choices are to #1 keep & enjoy or #2 sell.

If you dad enjoyed the car and you did too, heck with value or worth questions. Many of us in the hobby have old cars that are fun and not 100% correct (Sometimes not 100% reliable either!) Many (most) of us care about the value but the big attraction is the fun we can have with them. We drive them in parades, we take the family for rides, we have fun with them and put smiles on others faces and listen to their semi-factual memories of their of cars.

If you enjoy the car, quit calling it a Thomas, unless your last name is Thomas, and refer to it as "our old car". Offer to take the Mayors or Beauty Queens in parades or visit a custom car shows. You will discover that 99% of the public probably never heard of a Thomas automobile anyway and then not care that it's not original. IT's CUTE and runs and drives and that's all that matters to most people. Here we're the 1% who know the difference and many of us still like it as a fun parade car. Go ahead and allow yourself to enjoy it and not worry about it's value or worth.

Guest david rebello

like my dad always told me its worth what ever someone wants to pay for it!and what you are willing to sell it for !

Thomas Flyer;

The car, according to previous posts, is an amalgam of a variety of components and certainly cannot be called a 1911 Thomas, regardless of its registration. I don't know how cooperative the DMV is in your area with respect to changing information on titles, registrations etc.; however, if the DMV is overly bureaucratic, you're probably better off leaving the registration alone and explaining the true lineage of the car to any potential buyer. If your DMV is open to reason, you could just change the registration to, for example, your Dad's name as the make of the car. Your DMV may also have a "custom" vehicle designation which would more accurately reflect the ancestry of your car. Your choice, but if you have to deal with a "typical" DMV bureaucratic mindset, you have my sympathy.

No matter how you choose to handle the registration question, the valuation of the car, as indicated in previous posts, will be as a custom-built vehicle. Regardless of the $ value of your car, it's a neat looking ride and should be a lot of fun. Call one of the collector car insurance companies (I like Hagerty),let them know that you want to insure the car and ask for their help in setting a value for it.

Good Luck,

Grog

Awful lot of, typical, hemming and hawing going on here.

A quick search shows that 1918 Dodges are selling for 10-20K in nice shape. There is an '18 roadster on Hemming's for 18K. It is beautiful. So, let's assign a value of 18K to the "Thomas". Now, we have to begin deducting points, much as a judge would do on the show field. Wrong engine, front sheet metal, fenders, interior, at the very least. I would be willing to pay half of the going price for the car, but not a dime more.

The old, "Whatever you're willing to pay/give for it" answer is a load of hooey. It's usually proffered up by someone who has no idea of the value but doesn't want to be left out of the conversation. If I'm willing to pay 100 bucks for a Duesenberg and the seller is dumb enough to accept, that doesn't mean Duesies are now worth 100 bucks. Everything has a value.

Guest thomas flyer

When we first started looking up the thomas,all we found were the big touring cars, but when we typed in 1911 thomas runabout into google images we found a smaller car similar size to ours. We were excited at first because even though the car was a little different (fenders,hood,etc.)we could not find an actual live picture of one. This is beside the point now. I would like to change the title to be more accurate, but am leary of the california dmv. I had a friend that built a 66 mustang from parts and the dmv put a "SALVAGE" on the title and it decreased the value a lot.

When we first started looking up the thomas,all we found were the big touring cars, but when we typed in 1911 thomas runabout into google images we found a smaller car similar size to ours. We were excited at first because even though the car was a little different (fenders,hood,etc.)we could not find an actual live picture of one. This is beside the point now. I would like to change the title to be more accurate, but am leary of the california dmv. I had a friend that built a 66 mustang from parts and the dmv put a "SALVAGE" on the title and it decreased the value a lot.

One thing you will not have to worry about is a decrease in value. It is already a non-original car and a salvage title would only verify that fact.

The runabouts were just a smaller, two passenger body. All 1911 Thomas cars were gargantuan monsters. They would dwarf that Dodge.

I don't really see a point in trying to re register it as a Dodge. It would involve all sorts of hassle, reams of paperwork, multiple inspections by the DMV, the CHP and who knows else. Someone would have to verify that it is really a Dodge and not a Thomas. All of that isn't going to make it worth more or less. It would probably end up being a 2014 Special Construction. I'd rather have the bogus Thomas title. Any savvy buyer will know what it is and what it's not. It's a fun car or a parade car.

interesting thread and hopefully the family elects to keep and enjoy the car. We do not know just how long ago Dad purchased the car, and what he was told about it and for what kind of money. Could be he paid what it was worth at the time, or (hoepfully) worst case, only somewhat more than he should have.

What would add value to this car to me, but might be a tall order, would be to know who built it, when and why. Then the conversational value increases a lot - from what I can see, the workmanship is not bad and it has a better overall appearance than a lot of "Bitsas" or speedsters. My imagination tells me this was possibly a 60s build, to emulate a pricier brass car like a Thomas. But that is just that, imagination.

In any event, good luck with it - agree on leaving it as titled, to minimize the hassle factor, as long as your state is not looking to collect property taxes on a true Thomas! :-)

From a slightly different perspective, assuming your father purchased this car some thirty plus years ago at then market value of a '11 Thomas, you may garner an amount of money somewhat close to what he paid, selling the vehicle for whatever it's worth at today's prices. Not unlike your father stuffing a sum of money in an old mattress, and you discovered it today. In other words, you may recover most of the principle, but no interest.

Personally I would leave the car the way it is, whatever it is, and drive the wheels off of it. I would take it to car shows with no sign, set up my chair two cars away and listen to the "experts" decide what it is. No doubt you will hear a most interesting dialogue. Seems like you could have all sorts of fun. Maybe even have a few assorted emblems to adorn the radiator?