adjusting brakes

bdas

Sorry I forgot Yes it is a 1929 Oakland Sedan I was just out looking at the shoes and I wonder if the pads are to hard. They are new and fell so rough and hard

By band brakes do you mean external contracting type? I'm not familiar with Oakland brakes, but if they are anything like the external contracting brakes on my Studebaker, a feeler gauge is used to adjust the clearance between the lining and the drum. I think the lining should be a soft woven material. If it isn't soft, the modern type of brake lining material is harder because asbestos is no longer used as it is a carcinogen. Harder material will mean increased brake pedal effort will be needed to stop the car.

Terry

By band brakes do you mean external contracting type? I'm not familiar with Oakland brakes, but if they are anything like the external contracting brakes on my Studebaker, a feeler gauge is used to adjust the clearance between the lining and the drum. I think the lining should be a soft woven material. If it isn't soft, the modern type of brake lining material is harder because asbestos is no longer used as it is a carcinogen. Harder material will mean increased brake pedal effort will be needed to stop the car.

Terry

I believe those are internal shoe drum brakes on a 1929 Oakland. Do you have a manual? You may want to purchase this book....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-and-Oakland-Repair-Shop-Manual-1926-1927-1928-1929-Service-Book-/361082311143?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item54122ed1e7&vxp=mtr

post-37352-143142804638_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

According to my shop manual you have "Midland Steeldraulic" brakes. If they feel rough or hard someone has probably adjusted them wrong. You need either a GM shop manual or a manual specifically for "Midland Steeldraulic". Quite a number of cars used this system and it provides self energizing and a very soft pedal if adjusted right. If you do a google search for Steeldraulic and 1931 Pontiac you will find a link in which Mr. Venables describes some of the maladjustments that can be done.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

thanks for all the input. I do have the Oakland Pontiac Manual, and have read it several times. I just can't seem to get the brakes to work like I think they should. I do not have Midland Steeldraulic brakes they are banded brakes as stated in the book. They mention a rounding tool, I know what it looks like but not how to use it. I had the brakes all relined several weeks ago and the hubs turned, it seemed to work for a little bit but then I had to start pushing harder and harder on the brakes to stop. Now I have all the wheels off checking seals and ready to adjust them one more time. I guess I haven't found the secret yet.