Question on oil flow direction

CarNucopia

My filter is stamped "INLET" on the side making the bottom the exit. Incoming oil comes from a fitting near the bottom of the block on the distributor side of the engine.

Just for debate....it probably does not matter which is the IN or OUT, I don't think there is a check valve in the filter housing so the oil should flow either way. Maybe you get slightly more filter area on the outside of the filter element than on from the inside. What do others think?

I now realize I didn't ask the question properly. The canister from Bob's (http://bobsautomobilia.com/shop/oiling-system/oil-filter-canister-1929-30-of-290.html) looks like the original one, but houses a new, screw on filter. This type of filter is designed to work in one direction.

On the canister, it is marked which fitting is the inlet and which is the outlet. My question relates to the where the oil lines connect to the motor. I believe the oil exits the motor at the top fitting and reenters the motor at the bottom (on its way to the oil pump). Is that correct? My car is a 1930 60 Series.

Thanks

Take both lines loose, pull the coil wire or disable the ignition, crank it over a couple revs and see which fitting squirts oil, that would be the fitting to use as pressure into the filter. NEVER flow oil thru a filter backward, it will restrict flow and fail the engine.

Not being familiar with that engine, I can only assume that the other fitting is the supply to the engine to lube everything as filtered oil.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)

Just for debate....it probably does not matter which is the IN or OUT, I don't think there is a check valve in the filter housing so the oil should flow either way. Maybe you get slightly more filter area on the outside of the filter element than on from the inside. What do others think?

Not so Barney. The only "filter" that could flow either direction would be a "screen". All others and all modern filters are directional and will restrict flow the other direction and fail the engine in short order.

Good idea. I did try this and didn't get oil from either line, which is not encouraging. I stopped when the smell of gas was stronger then I carried to smell.

QUOTE=TexasJohn55;1358582]Take both lines loose, pull the coil wire or disable the ignition, crank it over a couple revs and see which fitting squirts oil, that would be the fitting to use as pressure into the filter. NEVER flow oil thru a filter backward, it will restrict flow and fail the engine.

Not being famaliar with that engine, I can only assume that the other fitting is the supply to the engine to lube everything as filtered oil.

Thanks Mark and Barney for the help. I found the answer in the reference book which confirms what you've told me.

I believe you will find the lower connection is from the oil pump that pushes oil through the filter and into the rocker assembly. The oil comes out of the rockers and returns by trickling down through channels (oil galleries) from the head back to the pan.
Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)