1972 Mercury Marquis stop lights problem

ThomasBorchers

Hello,

with my 72 Marquis Brougham, I have the problem that the stop lights will not work. I checked the switch at the brake pedal, when I press down the pedal a bit, there flows current through the switch as it shall.

I am a bit confused why I find a second hydraulic stop light switch at the master cylinder. Actually I know it so, if I press down the brake pedal, the stop light switch close the connection so that current flows through and the switch to the stop lights.

But here, there flows always current. So actually the stop lights should always work...

I must say, that I don't understand this system with the two switches. Help....

But I have a guess... is the switch at the brake pedal not for the stop lights? Could It be, that this one blocks the gear lever not to go into a drive position, if the pedal is not pressed down?

Kind regards

Thomas

The switch on the brake pedal is the correct one. Remove the wires on the switch on the master cylinder, connect them together and check for the tail lights coming on when the brake pedal is pressed.

Terry

@ Larry : Everything looks really good and the stop lights and turn signal have the same bulb.

@ Terry : I checked it as you said but will not work.

@ Jack : This is a good hint. I remember my 1956 Buick I had in the 90s. There I had also problems, if the turn signal lever was not absolutely in the middle : No brake lights.

Has someone a wiring diagram where I can see the colors of the cables?

Regards

Tom

I searched a lot the last days, but found now one diagram via Google. I followed just the circuit from the switch through the connectors. There was always power. Last check was the connector in the trunk. Also power. I connected the cables again and... have now brake lights. :confused: But I really don't know whey---

Regards

Thomas