I think I want a Model A

MyJetstar1

To be honest, I'm not sure what I want, exactly. I've had nothing but 60"s cars in the past, and am growing a little tired of them. I need to change it up a little bit, and thought I'd go a little older. What would be a good entry level car from the late 20's to early 30's from a hobbyist standpoint? Not knowing the market, what price range should I be focusing on for a drivable car? I drive my cars, so it would have to be something that wouldn't be ruined by use, yet not so rough that I would have to spend a great deal of time to be able to drive around town. I'm just in the thinking stage, so some ideas for makes, and input on values, would be great. Thanks.

Jim

If you are short or medium in height, I would go with a Model A. If you are a taller guy, I would go with a Chrysler product or GM product as they have much more legroom. The Model A has most (if not all) parts available as reproductions. Very easy to restore. The GMs may be quite easy to get parts for. The Chrysler products (Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler, DeSoto and Imperial will be a little more difficult to find parts for, but will be well worth having due to the progressive engineering.

Our Model a was the first old car I bought in 1979. After a frame up resto in '93-95 it has been our go to touring car. Very reliable, very easy to fix when broke and parts are easy to get at reasonable time and access. Our A has been from Acadia Park in Maine to Springfield, Ill and stuck all four paws in the ocean at Daytona Beach for a picture once. Once you get an A tour ready it will go anytime, anywhere with good maintenance. I am a big 6'3" and the 31 cabriolet is a comfortable car for me to drive. I have been in other body styles like sedans that are not as good to me. A coupe is OK and a friend moved his seat 1' back and 1 1/2" more tilt and his coupe had tons of room for both us at 6'+ so it can vary by body.

The other nice thing is that their are a lot of them around so there is a vast knowledge base, locally and nationally if you need help with anything. SO get one, get it robust and have a blast with it. They are fun to drive to boot!

Thanks, Keiser31. Already something I hadn't considered, as I am 6'1", lol! I was leaning towards the "A" because I thought it was pretty heavily supported for parts.

You might just want to find a guy with the Model A style that you want and ask to sit in it and maybe drive it to get the experience of tightness. I am only 5'-6 1/2" tall and the 1928 Model A pickup I had was tough to get into and I felt like I would be chewing on my knees while driving it. My 1931 Dodge coupes are like lounge chairs with all of the room. Maybe the other styles of Model As are not that confining.

I have the same problem being tall.

From what I've heard and know, it's all about body style. Tourings are really tight, pickups as mentioned, are absurdly cramped. Fordor Sedans trend to be better in '31. I've also been told that some some Coupes have plenty of leg room and the seat is adjustable. For comparison, I owned a 1926 Model T Coupe with plenty of room, but I can't fit into a 1926 Touring.

The very best I've tried out and been told about is the Tudor. The front driver's seat is not permanently fixed to the floor or door post. You can move it just about anywhere you want with the right hardware. I'd imagine that the Victoria is about the same.

Good luck. They are fun cars.

--Scott

I've owned 4 Model A's over the years and the ones I prefer were '29 2dr Sedan and the '30 Coupe. I am 6'-1" and both were very comfortable. Some people don't like the ride, but they are so simple to operate and maintain, that I really enjoyed them. I have moved toward owning brass era autos, but I would recommend the A's also. Try and find a couple that you could test drive. Good luck.

Guest buickkuhn

This is just my thoughts - when I was looking into older antique vehicles I wanted drivability and juice brakes (not linkage rods) . I am also in the stage of rebuilding my 41 buick engine now and Babbit bearings- I am now learning about . I would maybe go on a couple test drives too , to get the feel for the older cars . The 60's were high tech in relation to simpler things . Doors that seal good , wipers that make it so you can see , and mph you can go when you do drive it . I am definitely not trying to discourage you - more like want you to look at it from all angles . Good luck in your choice

My first antique car was a Model A Ford. Over the years I have owned a few of them. They can be addictive. I have just recently bought my long time dream car, a 1937 Buick Century Sedan. It does not seem right not to have a Model A in the garage. I don't own a truck now, so I admit I keep thinking that I should buy a Model A Truck.

Model A Fords are great tour cars. They are generally problem free but almost any problem on a tour with a Model A can be fixed on the side of the road in a few minutes and somebody on every tour seems to have whatever part you could require to get one back on the road. There are some body styles with plenty of room and a few that you would find cramped. Lots of fun, as long as you don't want to drive at interstate speeds.

Another reason I personally like the early 1930s Chrysler products....really well engineered hydraulic brakes. There is a LOT to be said that is good about a Model A. I LOVE the fact that you can putt along and hear each cylinder fire. That, to me, is THE old car sound and feel.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Your height is no problem with a Model A........seat brackets are available which will move the seat back 2" and make the car much easier to get in and out of and more drivable.

The OEM SEATS in general are another issue.........they're horrible........ :mad:

I have (had) a '29 Tudor A and have a '27 Tudor T.

The T is so much more comfortable I decided I don't "need" TWO Tudors so I sold the A.

I moved the seat bracket back a hole in the T as well and it's like having a different car........in a good way.

You might enjoy an A if you put in some different, albeit incorrect, seats..........like many A owners have.

Two things you always carry with you in a Model A Ford. A spare condenser, and a starter drive spring. You never know when either is going to fail. Both are easy to fix with a few tools. Most of all, buy something you will have fun with. Dandy Dave!

Guest AlCapone

From a size perspective only. I am 5 ft 8. 4 of my vehicles. 1929 Model A Ford Pickup roadster is so tight fitting I get in the passenger side. 1929 Model A Ford Cabriolet fits me perfect, 1931 Chevrolet I have to stretch to use the pedals, 1932 Chrysler I need pillows on the seat. My 6 ft 1 inch father in law can not drive the Model A cars and loves the other 2. Hope that helps. A good reason to always buy in person and not on ebay where you ant try it out.

Wayne

Guest Gary Hearn

I have shrunk to 6' 1 1/2" and find it almost impossible to drive an A truck. In addition to my knees being in the steering wheel, I am too tall to sit upright and look out the windshield. Be sure to test any vehicle before buying to see if you fit.

Good morning, and thanks for the input all! Someone had messaged me that there is a Model A swap meet not far from my home, so I plan on running up and having a look around. If by chance someone politely asks to sit in your car, please don't swing a bat at him, lol!