Weepet

The Whippet was built by Willys, along with the Willys and Willys-Knight. My uncle drove a Whippet Redwing roadster, and my father purchased a new 1931 Willys 6 when he and my mother married, and drove it to Niagra Falls from Virginia (DC area) on their honeymoon. It lasted one year and was wore out, so my Dad traded ($100 trade-in) on a used 1930 Buick. He loved the Buick and drove them everafter.<p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 09-15-2000).]

Here's some info on the Whippet. As previously stated, the Whippet was made by Willys in 1926 as a low priced car ($495) to compete with Ford and Chevrolet. It only lasted a couple of years. The car gets it's name from the Whippet breed of dogs know for their speed, like Grayhounds. Unfortunately the name is the only thing this car had in common with the dogs. The cars were not known for their speed.<P>------------------<BR>tsauto@v35.com<BR>AACA member, Pottstown Region<BR>'60 TR-3

The cars were better known as dogs. smile.gif ~ hvs<P>We had one here in town and Buck had to whip it to make it go shocked.gif<p>[This message has been edited by hvs (edited 09-15-2000).]

Guest Chuck Conrad

I kinda have to go along with Peter on this subject. I think the Annual Meeting is a very important event, especially for incoming Club Officers. On the other hand, it has always bothered me that it is ALWAYS in Philadelphia. It's sort of a "thumbing your nose" to folks from the western part of the country. I know for a fact that people from these remote regions perceive it that way, regardless of whether it is true or not. VMCCA, CCCA, RROC, HCCA and lots of other very successful clubs rotate their annual meetings around the country. I think that's good. Better yet, the meetings are interesting. Each one is different, reflecting the individual personalities of the hosting Region. Moving it around shows you care. On the other hand, AACA is the most successful of any car club in the world, at least if membership numbers are of any meaning. We must be doing something right, but I can't help wondering if we're doing something wrong at the same time.<P>Chuck Conrad<BR>AACA, CCCA, VMCCA, RROC, etc.