Buick water pump

I have a hot running 1941 Roadmaster.Some years ago I bought,thru Hemmings,a modified GMC water pump for a '41 Super.Does anyone know the sorce for these modified water pumps?

That shouldn't be necessary, really. You've got a 7 pound cap on the radiator, right? Have you checked the by-pass valve in the thermostat housing? You rid yourself of that valve on a '41 by switching to a '48-49 thermostat housing, which has no valve. Often the valve begins to fail and will cause overheating. At least take it apart and clean it. There is no reason for a '41 to overheat unless there is a problem. Is the radiator clean? Is the block clogged? <BR> Also check the hoses to be sure one hasn't gotten weak and is sucking shut. But, the first place I'd look is that thermostat housing by-pass valve.<BR> Earl Beauchamp

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi, For original water pump rebuilding work contact Arthur Gould 631-754-5010 or agouldpump@aol,com. He can also be found at Fall Carlisle, Hershey, was at Macungie, Rhinebeck, and will not be at Stowe this year. He is in my region and I plug him when the topic comes up. SalG

I did have an impeller come loose on the shaft. In that case you will have major problems and it won't be a little overheating. Strange things like no heat from the heater, but the heater core is free and clear. Good new thermostats failing to open when in the car but working on the old stove top test. Localized engine hot spots that cause the cooling system to geyser even when the radiator is cool. At least that is what happened on my car.<P>More commonly a problem can develop with the bearings and seals such that the pump sucks in air which reduces cooling efficiency. But in a pressurised system I'd expect there to be leakage from the pump after the engine is turn off before the pressure is released by cooling. That leakage washes out the lubrication so you should also start hearing the dreaded metal on metal chirping sound.<P>So, if it is not leaking, is not making noises, and you are not having a whole slew of weird "this can't possibly be" things happening then it is not your water pump.<P>I assume all the usual suspects have been checked: Dragging brakes, mixture off, timing off, hoses, radiator, etc.