79 Buick X block info

79 Buick 350ci X engine out of Lesbre Palm Beach special. What does X specify on block? Wnat to know if this is a high output motor from Buick. Thanks All

I just checked my American Car ID Numbers book. It show the X engine code as being a V-8 350 4-BC. It also shows, 2 other V-8 350 4-BC with letter codes "L" & "R". If you can find the engine production code stamped on the block. DRY,DRJ= 160HP 8.5:1 COMP RATIO , U9,VK,VA= 170HP 8.0:1 COMP RATIO , VZ = 170HP 8.0:1 COMP RATIO. I don't know why the VZ is listed by itself. I'll try to remember to look it up in some books over at my shop tomorrow. Question for you. What does the palm beach special option consist of?<p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 07-29-2000).]

Did some more checking. In '79 on Buicks your engine code being the 8th digit/letter for 350cu.in. engines are L for 350 Chevy, R for 350 Olds, and X for a 350 Buick engine. The biuck engine is 155hp@3400rmp, the lowest of the three. But it devolps 280 ft.lbs. of torque barely beatly the Chevy by 5 ft.lbs.<BR>The bore&stroke is 3.800"x3.850". Compression ratio is 8.0:1. It doesn't look like it is any thing other than just Buick's version of a 350 engine. No hi-perf.<BR>Hope this helps.<p>[This message has been edited by novaman (edited 07-30-2000).]