Original paint verses new complete paint job

Should a 1955 Bentley with 41,000 original miles and only a few paint nicks and one place that the paint is thin be completely repainted? What will this do to the value of the car?

You said nothing about the originality of the rest of the car. Assuming that all else is original (interior, chassis, drive train, etc.) and assuming that you can find an individual who wants an original, unrestored car you would be better off leaving it alone. If you want to sell it quicker, paint it, however, you may not recover the cost of a good paint job. If value is your only concern, it's your choice. If pride of ownership for a fine car is important, then, again, it's your choice. Most of us on this forum are more concerned with what we want with our cars than "value".

I look at things a bit different, being in the paint business. I would rather buy or own an original car with the paint shot and a few dings, maybe even a few large dents, than a repaint that wasn't done to my standards. As TRAINGUY said, you can never be a virgin again, Okay I changed what he said a little. smile.gif I have spent many hours repairing cars like yours so they wouldn't need a repaint. More hours than it would have been to paint complete, but the finished product looked "untouched". Unless you spend a ton of money (around here lets say about $5000.00)for a first class job, you will just have another repainted car. Not the nice original car you now have. Remember, most people don't see those little things. Park your car in a lot and walk away from it, then walk back acting like you know nothing about the car, what is it's "overall" look, that is what matters. <P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.

I vote for keeping it original as well. I like to drive my cars. We have one that was a frame off and over the past 15 years it's lived in the garage. It's finally getting some use. I think to often if they are too nice they don't get used. If it gets to the point it is deteriorating then you may want to do some painting.