1931 Chevrolet - 50 years and post 4000

trimacar

So, thought I'd do something a little fun for my 4000th post. Thank all for the forum, and allowing me to contribute.

Not quite the date, close but no cigar...on November 14th of this year, I will have owned my 1931 Chevrolet for 50 years.

Looking for a car in Louisiana in the early 1960's was easy, a lot of Model A's. I searched and searched, at 13 years old, had talked my wonderful father into buying a car if we could find one.

One day, Mr. Grantham (we called him Sarge, he'd served in WWII) who worked for my father, turned to us in the cotton gin office and asked, in his gravelly voice, "would y'all be interested in an old Chevy"? Well of course, and the deal was made sight unseen.

Cost? Sarge needed a .22 rifle, and one was soon bought by my father at a local sporting goods store. I seem to remember it was $20 or so, real money in 1964, when a paperboy (which I filled in for) made $1 a day (small city, big route!). The car was a cut down roadster or touring, worn out.

I took delivery, and for the next three years restored the car, finding a body in Baton Rouge through an ad in the BR paper. Finished restoration in 1966, in Louisiana you could get driver's license at 14.5 years old, Dad bought me a 1925 Dodge coupe which I drove to Junior High, then drove the '31 to high school, touring it in the late 1960's, and on these tours got to be friends with the owner of a 1931 Pierce Arrow phaeton, which he'd later sell to me. The Pierce would be, and is, the love of my life, automotively speakingpost-31482-143142784564_thumb.jpg....

So, now, 50 years later, still own the Chevy, although about 200 cars I've bought and sold have said hello and goodbye to it over the years, as they passed through my hands.

An anniversary that will mean little but to me, how can I express how thankful I am for a hobby that's brought me so much enjoyment, brought me so many places, and gifted me with so many friends.

Thank you, antique cars, and friends!

post-31482-143142784551_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142784557_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142784561_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, appreciate the kind words......and of the 200 cars, there are a dozen or so I sure wish I had back! But one moves on, and I'm very fortunate to have what is now in my garage..

Bob, glad they got there OK!

David,

You and I have swapped cars going back to the 1970s (and swapped stories that long as well). We've been guests in one-another's homes, and shared many a meal. Our wives are friends. We know each other's children and grandchildren.

It is more through this FORUM that the rest of the old-car universe gets to know what I've known for many years - that you are a fine gentleman and a true friend in the truest sense of the word. I'm proud to have had your friendship for these many years.

Marty

I hope you don't mind a newbie's input...

I just wanted to say this is one of the best threads I've come across.

I'm sure we can all relate no matter what our experience or interest is.

You and many others on here have always shown nothing but class and I for one don't even feel like I have a right to input but felt I must.

To David and everyone like him, thank you for helping all of us newbies along the way but more importantly for being such a positive influence. I can only wish to have an ounce of that class that you've all portrayed since I've been here.

Great post David, thank you !

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I learned how to drive on a 1931 Chevrolet in when I was 10 in 1949. It was a Fire Department Hose Truck. My dad bought in from Rescue Hook & Ladder Company No. 1, in the village of Roslyn, Long Island, NY. That was around 1947 or 1948. We drove it to our summer farm in Washington, Vermont and drove it all over Vermont every summer until my parents sold it to a friend in about 1965, right before they retired and sold the farm.

Their friend, a man named Frank Bushey from Connecticut, owned several old fire trucks and really wanted our Hose Truck. I was away in college and was really upset that they sold "my" Fire Truck. But Mr. Bushey assured them he would take good care of it, and they believed him. Some years later, when I had a place to put it, I contacted Mr. Bushey only to learn he had left it outside many years and the wood was mostly rotted away.

My parents have passed away, and I'm sure Mr. Bushey has as well, but I've never forgotten that 1931 Chevrolet truck. In fact, I wonder if it still exists? I'd love to know!

Peter,

The Antique Automobile Club of America's "Library & Research Center" in Hershey (adjoins the AACA Headquarters building) has been entrusted to house the literature of SPAAMFAA (Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Apparatus in America.

You could contact our head librarian Mr. Chris Ritter of whom may have a contact at SPAAMFAA. If so hopefully someone could point you in the right direction for your search.

Regards,

Peter J.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I cut and pasted the following from the AACA Library website FYI. On the home page of this AACA site you will find "Library" within the header bar. Click on it and you will find out what the Library has to offer:

SPAAMFAA is the Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Motor Fire Apparatus in America. SPAAMFAA is an organization of over three thousand members and over fifty Chapters organized in 1958 in Syracuse, NY. Membership is located all over the globe, but primarily in the United States. Ownership of an antique piece of fire apparatus is not a requirement of membership.

The SPAAMFAA literature archives housed at the AACA Library & Research Center are diverse, ranging from promotional literature, manuals, and drawings to photographs, magazines and directories. Coming to us in 1985, SPAAMFAA was the first special collection housed by the AACA Library & Research Center.