Rag universal joints

1929wilbur

Can anyone direct me to a source for new fabric/rubber universal joints? I am early in the process of restoring a 1929 Chandler and will be needing these in the next month or so. I have rubber conveyor belting, but the fabric content is much lower than the flex joints that are on there at this time. Thanks

Its probably easier to buy them but, if the right size is unobtainable, I've made them out of old offset printing press blankets... a very heavy rubberized cloth. Press blankets have to be very precise in their thickness and are easily damaged. When one is "dented" it has to be discarded. They have no scrap value that I'm aware of so any fair size printer should have a few around that are just going in the trash.

I managed to get the joint discs and drive shaft off this evening. The quality of this car and it's parts amazes me... These fabric couplings appear to be original and I couldn't believe how well the bolts have held up since 1929! Tomorrow I hope to get dimensions of the discs so that the hunt can officially begin. This car is a 29 Chandler with a 90 hp straight 8.