2015 VA beach meet

carrfixr

Guest my3buicks

Arrived safe and sound, the trailer parking guys were super nice, The car is a mess, and will even be worse tomorrow after it gets off the trailer.

Most of my 5 hour drive up was in the rain. My AACA Original HPOF Buick Riviera is sort of dirty from the drive. I don't know when I am going to get a chance to clean it as much as it needs.

rolled in about 5:30, the trailer parking crew was great especially Bill.. he hooked us up on a primo trailer spot down the road behind a hanger.. were parked pretty close to a paved road to get to the show field. its going to be messy no matter what but hopefully they use multiple entrances to the show field depending on where your spot location is. that will help alleviate a huge mess after the car pictures are taken..

Edited by mitch h (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks
Most of my 5 hour drive up was in the rain. My AACA Original HPOF Buick Riviera is sort of dirty from the drive. I don't know when I am going to get a chance to clean it as much as it needs.

Makes it very difficult when there are no close carwashes, I hosed mine off in Virginia Beach but by the time I drove 15 miles I should not have wasted my time. I'm parked right where all the trailers Pulled in so there's no way I will be able to get out without driving through heavy mud

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

This show sounds like it will be GREAT! here is a question I haven't seen yet. I'm local, and a few friends & me are coming to spectate. is there spectator parking? I'm planning on driving my 64 Dodge Max Wedge clone. post-30986-14314309692_thumb.jpg See you guys there! I haven't been to the museum in a few years. Looking forward to seeing the cars & the planes

Makes it very difficult when there are no close carwashes, I hosed mine off in Virginia Beach but by the time I drove 15 miles I should not have wasted my time. I'm parked right where all the trailers Pulled in so there's no way I will be able to get out without driving through heavy mud

keith

back out and unload on the road then repark your trailer

Guest my3buicks

The Showfield and the trailer parking area are in remarkable condition, thank goodness for Virginia sand, The sun is shining and it's going to be a beautiful day

Edited by my3buicks (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

I have to say that was probably the best one, most organized national meet I've ever attended, and I've been doing it for 35 years. The Tidewater group rolled out the red carpet in every way. And the show venue was spectacular.

It was a great show and well done. Congratulations!

As I walked onto the show field, I overheard a spectator talking on his cell, "Drop what you are doing and get over here to the Aviation Museum! There are all these great cars over here!"

my3buicks,

You certainly got your car cleaned up good. It is beautiful. I stopped by and admired it, but did not see you. I got a chance to meet more forum members in person today than I think I have ever at a meet before. It was a wonderful meet with many beautiful cars in a great venue. I enjoyed meeting a lot of you folks today as well as seeing a lot of old friends.

Guest my3buicks

Thanks Matt & Mitch, I am sorry I missed you both, I was at my car a good bit, but probably came by when I was doing the museum and my walk through the show. I will be going to Louisville if either of you are there we can try again. 2 AM, got home shortly after 1, unloaded the car and took the U-Haul back - bed time.

We really enjoyed the meet, great parking, wonderful weather and great people. All in all a wonderrful experience. Congrats to the Tidewater Region and all of the members that contributed to the overall success of the meet. Neat to see and hear the vintage aircraft take off, fly and land.

Rob Burchill

WOW what a first class meet put on by the tidewater chapter. they did a super job dealing with some pretty bad adverse weather conditions up until show day. saturday's weather was picture perfect and the show field actually was pretty good.

thanks for everything it was worth every penny, the planes were a super bonus for all.....

post-53783-143143098353_thumb.jpg

Just got home from the meet and my family and I had a FANTASTIC time!!! The show venue was amazing, the tour of the base was super great and informative. And the weather was perfect yesterday! Thank you Tidewater Region for doing such an amazing job putting this event together. :)

When's the next event?! ;)

Glad you folks had a good time. I agree that Mitch's photo is really nice. One could spend a week or two in the Virginia Beach area with all the museums, ships, planes, Oceana NAS, etc.

Regards,

Peter J.

Guest Mark McAlpine

The Tidewater Region thanks everyone who participated in the Eastern Spring Meet in Virginia Beach! Thank you braving the rain on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, and not letting the weather conditions frighten you away. The weather ended up being beautiful on Saturday--a great day for antique vehicles and old airplanes. Thank you to those who brought your vehicles to share with the rest of us, and thank you to everyone who contributed to the success of the Meet by judging, working administration, etc. We hope you had a great time. Please don't hesitate to give us your suggestions on how we can do better when we host another national meet again in five or six years.

Mark I must admit Friday afternoon weather on the Bridge Tunnel wasn't a good experience nor was 264 with traffic and rain but the show and Sat weather was great with minor mud on the vehicles.

Using the air museum was great and I hope you can continue. Why wait another five years just rest up and do it again!

the comment I would make is that the spacing was tight down at 36. I brought a 62 SD Pontiac and being a wide car plus big 60's doors we had to hold the doors as they would hit the adjacent two very nice cars if didn't.

enjoyed it and post some pictures

Robert

Guest Mark McAlpine

Thanks for bringing your friend's 1962 Catalina SD, Robert and for sacrificing bringing your 1962 Impala when his trailer had problems and you used yours to bring his car instead. I regret I didn't get to speak with you at the meet--your action for your friend tells me you'd be a great guy to know.

And thanks for the great suggestion about the spacing of the positions. I know Neil Sugermeyer had to redo the layout of that portion of the field Saturday morning to avoid the area near the main museum road because of soft ground and a little standing water--I don't know if it caused us to contract the width of the spaces a bit, but you're right that a little extra room would help prevent any possible damage from wind blowing doors into the side of another vehicle. Fortunately, that didn't happen here, but it doesn't hurt to be extra cautious.

Thanks again--both for the suggestion and for coming to Virginia Beach. I look forward to seeing your Impala at another Meet. Are you taking it to any of the other meets this year?

Mark my schedule this year is more full retired than when I was working! I am committed to the Richmond Show of Tommy Nolen's and the local AACA Club show here in Salisbury. National shows I am considering Houma,La as both my wife and I enjoy that area but scheduling might be difficult. Hershey also.

Hemmings would like Lloyd's 62 SD at their Sarasota show as that car would be enjoyed up there and I am considering but haven't scheduled.

Come on over to Richmond?

oh, I have a 3.8 pound Yorkie full grown but she can't reach a fender as too short!

Robert

Guest Mark McAlpine

I don't know about the availability of shirts, Mitch, but will ask and post an answer in a day or two.

The Tidewater Region thanks everyone who participated in the Eastern Spring Meet in Virginia Beach! Thank you braving the rain on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday, and not letting the weather conditions frighten you away. The weather ended up being beautiful on Saturday--a great day for antique vehicles and old airplanes. Thank you to those who brought your vehicles to share with the rest of us, and thank you to everyone who contributed to the success of the Meet by judging, working administration, etc. We hope you had a great time. Please don't hesitate to give us your suggestions on how we can do better when we host another national meet again in five or six years.

Thank you Mark - the meet was great - enjoyed our family and friends old and new, the cars and planes, museum volunteers were the best. Drive in was a bear on Friday and parking back at the Sheraton Saturday night was super bad. (I was driving a 65 year old car - so partially my fault on both - guess I need to upgrade or do the trailer thing.) Only other issue was the food wasn't the best. But like I said before the meet itself was great and that's why we came. We had Pocahontas Pancakes on Sunday morning so left fat and happy.

It was great as always to see you and the kids again Andy. Man, they have grown. We'll give them some more Model T Rides soon I hope. Do I sense another neat tour coming up in the Richmond area? Braving that wind on Friday was not an easy thing to do - thought our little MG would slip right thru but at one point we felt we needed about 20 extra HP to push thru. You can only imagine the senese of relief I felt Saturday morning when I got up at 5Am and saw the deck was dry out behind the house! That sunshine was awesome. A good meet and I hope everyone had some fun. I was amazed at the number of visitors who I hadn't seen in several years wo came to Va Beach just because of the meet location. I did a brief video interview with someone from the local area producing a video for the museum and my comments echoed many I heard during the weekend. Those planes and our old cars were a perfect combination. Our hosts were fabulous making them available for rides and photo-ops.

Really proud of my fellow Tidewater Regon members for all their hard work.

See you soon in Richmond.

Terry

Guest Art Griffin

There were certainly lots of beautiful vehicles, and there were also many beautiful aircraft. WOW!!

And my judging team did an excellent job!

Art Griffin

I have to say that was probably the best one, most organized national meet I've ever attended, and I've been doing it for 35 years. The Tidewater group rolled out the red carpet in every way. And the show venue was spectacular.

I agree. We flew from Seattle, WA to attend the show with our friends from Virginia. I am so sick and tired of attending National meets held on the parking lot of a hotel. This was a beautiful spot to hold a show and everything was well organized. Great job!!!

I am so sick and tired of attending National meets held on the parking lot of a hotel.

I have to assume you are talking about something other than AACA Meets. I don't think AACA ever holds meets in hotel parking lots. This was probably one of the nicest meet locations that I have attended but AACA Meets are generally held in interesting locations.

Matthew, you are correct. The only other AACA show that I have attended is at Hershey, and that too is a nice venue. As there is no local AACA region here in the Northwest (the closest one is about 275 miles away), Hershey and Virginia Beach are are the only two that I have attended.

Also wanted to add my Thanks to all the members of the Tidewater Region for all your hard work hosting this meet. I agree with others that the venue for the meet was great choice. The Tidewater members were great hosts and the museum personnel did a fine job as well. I really enjoyed the Oceania Tour on Friday and the lunch afterward. Best of all, we had some time to relax and visit with other AACA members before the Judging School. Could not have asked for better weather on Saturday. The good condition of the show field and the trailer parking area was a hot topic of conversation on Saturday given the rain Thursday & Friday some of us saw during our stay.

Special Thanks to you Mark, for your heads up regarding rush-hour traffic in the area. Also special thanks to the trailer parking staff that greeted and guided to me to my spot a little after 5 pm on Thursday. Being out in the rain Thursday afternoon was no picnic for them and their work in those conditions was very much appreciated.

BTW, spreading out the trailer parking was a great idea and seemed to help minimize the damage done to the trailer parking area during the rain Thursday & Friday. That helped a lot Saturday when all the vehicles had to travel from their trailers to the show field.

Once again Thanks to the Tidewater Region. Maybe in 6 years you can host a Dual-Meet held once again at this facility? ;)