Question on "Original" HPOF

Ricko1937

I have entered a car at Hershey in the HPOF class for 3 yrs now. I was certified HPOF 1st year and then was eligibile for HPOF Original the next year. I didn't get it, the head judge said my headlight bulbs didn't all match and I had the wrong hose clamps. I agreed with him and he said if I took care of that I should be OK. The following year I did correct these problems but still only received HPOF preservation. As I was looking thru the rules manual I noticed that once you are judged for "Original" and do not get it you can't be rejudged for that again unless you contact the VP of Judging to get approved to be rejudged. Am I reading this rule correctly, just a little bit confused.

Guest my3buicks

So if someone changed a bulb 50 years ago with an original bulb you can tell that it's been changed?? LOL That's ludicrous if you have put an original vintage part on it. Now I can understand if you have put a restored or reproduction part on.

So if someone changed a bulb 50 years ago with an original bulb you can tell that it's been changed?? LOL That's ludicrous if you have put an original vintage part on it. Now I can understand if you have put a restored or reproduction part on.

All of the bulbs have to match, "brand, markings, etc".

Guest my3buicks

Yes, I know that. But if the bulbs are replaced with exact correct replacements there should not be an issue. This would go for any part as long as it has not been redone, refinished, is correct, and not restored in anyvway. If the owner of the car replaces the wrong items with matching correct replacements there should not be an issue. What a waistful extra step to have to contact the VP to be rejudged.

How many cars 50+ yrs old still have original heater and radiator hoses etc etc. You must do some maintenance to keep an older vehicle up if you are going to drive it. And if you do contact the VP of Judging what criteria does he use to decide if you qualify to be rejudged.

Random musings...HPOF is all about preservation of original features. Original as in untouched, not replaced with other original parts. The idea is to minimize the likelihood that a part was replaced over the years with a part that was "almost identical" thereby making the vehicle less useful as a guide to authenticity. "Exact correct replacement" is where the problem lies. Perhaps if all "exact correct replacements" were somehow indelibly marked so that future generations know that the part was changed and is not original to that specific vehicle, just as repairs to other historic artifacts are highlighted so they can't be mistaken as "original" in the future. Like Washington's hatchet he used to cut down the cherry tree. The handle has been replaced once and the head twice. Is it still the same hatchet?

We have a saying in our judging program, "Common Sense Judging". It aptly applies here. It would be expected if a maintenance item was replaced as it would need to be from time to time that at least it was replaced with a like, kind piece. Anyone owning a really original car would most likely try to do so. The VP of Judging is going to first make sure there was no error. Judges can be wrong at times...we all are. He then is going to have to review the owner's information as to why he believes the car should be allowed to move on in the system. He will take that into account, review any documentation needed and make a decision. Like a judge in the courtroom, he has year's of experience in the judging program and will do his best to be fair to the owner.