1947 Lincoln Continental Hollywood Convertible

Guest Shawn Van Dyke

Guest Shawn Van Dyke

It's my pleasure to be here, and a new member to the club!!! I have an interesting car that I learn more about every day. I'm hoping you folks can help me out aswell. I have a 1947 Lincoln Continental Hollywood convertible. This car was once owned by actress Rita Hayworth. I'm told it is 1 of 100 pace cars that were built, out of 392 cabriolet convertibles. It was shipped to Long Beach for dealer assignment. then sent to carsons top shop for further customizing. The vin reads H157784, and the body plate reads 5 EH- 56 - 392. ignition key # 647. assembled April 2, 1947 shipped April 14th,1947 it had 0 miles, tan material top, red interior, painted pace car yellow, radio, vacuum antennae, chrome bands,2 speed warner trans ,firestone tires ,fog lamps ,hydraulic trunk , hydraulic windows. Any other info will greatly be appreciated. I know it was registered in Compton californa to josey calderon of paramount studios, as well as Rita E. Hayworth 723 N. boulevard terrace , 132 lasky dr. Beverly Hills Ca. 90212

Thank you for your time!

Shawn Van Dyke

Lots of mixed messages here. Pace car for what? The '47 Indy pace car was a Nash. The '46 pace car was a Continental, but it was a standard model that was grabbed from a local dealership and lettered with the pace car designation on the doors. It was not customized. Two speed Warner transmission? No V-12 Lincolns ever had an automatic trans, as far as I know. Does it still have the original drive train? !00 new Continentals being sent to Carson Top Shop seems like an anecdotal story to me, but who knows. Also, never heard of a Lincoln Hollywood Convertible. I have some doubts as to the veracity of some of the stories that you've been told

Edited by 58Mustang (see edit history)

Very cool, you need to join the lincoln Zephyr owners club, look at the lz section of this forum..

many knowledgeable people The Continental was Indy Pacecar in 46, it had a warmed over V12, was yellow and

had graphics on the side. Long beach was a common destination for celebrity cars and that is kinda fun to have the

pedigree. My friend Mr. Dave Cole is the guru of all things Continental and can help you with your information and heritage

of your car..He lives in Santa Maria CA..but is not online... Please go to our website and forum and share this stuff..you will

have a more welcoming reception than the bs from the previous fellows...

The 2 speed warner is called overdrive...and is sorta like 5th gear on a modern stick.

So you are saying the LZOC won't point out that it couldn't have been a pace car or that it doesn't appear to be customized? Must be a very accommodating crowd. Welcome Shawn. Nice car with an interesting history. Stick around and let us know what you find out. Rita apparently liked her Lincolns. We owned a '48 Continental for years. My ex Father-in-law owned a seldom seen '48 non-Continental convertible.