oldcar

1927/9 Renault Monasix parts wanted

I wish you to receive the engine and the gearbox as soon as possible, and that it is in good condition :) .
And I congratulate you for what you do on your renault at your age, it's impressive ! :) 

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Bernie,

Remarkable progress on the Renault.  The axle and torque tube look great...probably better than it looked coming out of the factory.  Have you had any success on repair to the brake shoes?  The drum looks a little gnarly. I hope you can get your drums relined, if needed. With my old TD, decent drums are as scarce as hen's teeth.  The other option is to convert to wire wheels which require new Alfin style brake drums which are readily available.  

I hope the motor and trans live up to expectations.

I agrre with you on the need for "fastest available shipping".  Here in the US, if you do not go that route, there is a 50-50 chance the POstal Service will lose your package.

Cheers!

The crate with the engine and gearbox is due to be delivered tomorrow. Hopefully the gearbox and brake servo are OK as with the Renaults very individual arrangement the gearbox is mounted on the front end of the torque tube (enclosed drigve shaft)  This means the gearbox has to be attached before I install the back axle. I will need to check the gearbox before I can do this. I did have two gearboxes before I bought this one from the USA. One is from the smaller, 4 cylinder NN model, the other was the correct Monastella (RY1) gearbox but it has no internals and the brake servo which in mounted on one side was incomplete.

Now 91 years later gearbox parts are difficult to find, even in France! I consider that I was extremely lucky that this one in Mississippi, USA found me,  probably the last place I would have thought to look. As it has turned out I was even luckier that the owner had contacted me, arranged the sale and the shipping it to Australia only days before he died.

Bj.

• Like 2

Now I have been using this forum for some years I am always interested in expanding my knowledge of the history and items of interest relating to the particular car that I am working on at the present time. For example I would be very interested to learn about the numbers of these French cars sold after WW1 and in the years up to 1930. 

Bj

• Like 1

Bernie,

Have the engine and transmission arrived?  What sort of condition are they in? Hope all is well.

Hello Dr Data

Unfortunately the answer to both questions is NO. Yet again I have been assured that they will arrive today, Saturday here in Australia.

Somehow I will be very pleasantly surprised if they do! But more on that later.

Bernie  j.

Posted (edited)

I suppose that it had to happen sometime. I think that I can now say with some certainity that I will never see either the "engine and gearbox" or my money again.

I had (mistakenly ?) believed that this  forum was for the interchange of ideas and information among "enthusiasts".

It now seems that it is also a happy hunting ground for cheats and confidence tricksters. If anyone reading this and living outside the USA all I can say is just be VERY CAREFUL of anyone offering to sell you anything.

If anyone reading this recognises the "Senders Name and address" I would  delighted to hear from them. In addition to "Kelvin" the main character in this little drama there was his so called son "Paul" and Paul's supposed married sister Karen 

I would love to hear some more of this delightful little family, to add to the drama "Poor old Kelvin" reportedly died a week or two ago at the said age of 89.  In  fact, looking back it appears that this whole family could almost be a comedy act  if it was not so serious.

Bernie Jacobson.

Having made one or two enquiries it seem as though poor old recently departed Kelvin's supposed address is in fact a "Beauty  Parlor" for grooming pet dogs!

.2138060978_WAYBILLRECEIPT3.thumb.jpg.ee18fed7b31882212ebfa3810b39ce56.jpg

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Hello Bernie,

I hope you are wrong!  I did a quick search on Phoenix International and it looks like they are operating under the name C.H. Robinson.  They have offices in Australia.  Maybe you could give the head office a call and provide the waybill number and they can help you out in confirming whether or not the shipment is there. https://www.chrobinson.com/en-us/contact-us/find-a-branch-office/?region=5

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Frank

Nothing is happening today (Sunday in Aust) but I have sent an email to CH Robinson at the Melbourne address. Meanwhile I am "beavering away" on the Renault.

My currrent project is making "posts' to support the headlamps. Regardless of the outcome of the engine and gearbox question, I can always find something positive to do.

Bj.

• Like 2

Having been in  contact with C H Robinson (Australia) they are unable to help me. Now I am attempting to contact Phoenix Frt Services in the USA without very much luck.  See also Freight Waybill above.

Bernie j.

Hey Bernie,

I located an email address in Phoenix and drafted up a request for help which attached the waybill.  If you are ok with that, I will cc you on the email and send it off.

Frank

• Like 1

Thank you Frank, meanwhile I am still working away on the Renault. I have today ordered the Fabric and Carpet for the interior. I will now  talk to the Renault Clubs in England and France about parts needed to restore the engine and gear box that I already have. Pistons for the engine and some parts that are missing from the mechanical brake servo on the gearbox. 

Bj.

• Like 2

icon.png.ab70b7f6b9fbb123eb752364f30a7e7f.png

Now  that this little delivery van has caught your attention?  It has every reason to look sad!  It was meant to be bringing me another Renault engine and gearbox that I had bought,  that is I already paid for, from the USA, there is only one problem, that motor and gearbox NEVER EXISTED!!!

Somewhere there is a very clever INTERNET SCAM Artist  rubbing his grubby hands together and having a quiet chuckle to himself. He has just got away with almost $2,000 of my hard earned money. And I have no one to blame but myself!  I have paid the price of thinking that everyone connected to the Old-car world are as honest as you and me.

Silly me!  But having said that all I can do is to send out a warning and I am not sure how you can do this BUT check and then CHECK AND THEN CHECK AGAIN before you send money away to anyone you do not already know personally.  Ask for detailed photographs of what ever it is that you want to buy. Even thenn do not do as I did and rush in and send off any money to a total stranger on the other side of the world. Like me all you are likely to recieve is, as we Aussies say, "Get a nasty kick in the guts!

And Happy Motoring!

Dangit Bernie!  I was hoping it was a bureaucratic snafu. 

it's a sad story :( , there are crooks everywhere  :( .
One day I was looking for a few things and I found it, I asked the sellers for photos and then I looked on "google images", and there were the photos that the sellers had sent me.
It was a scam and the seller had sent me pictures he had found on the internet :( .
I hope for you that this will work out.
I wish you good luck and well done for the work you do

Posted (edited)

There is no point in becoming angry, we are still very lucky, I have my lovely wife and four children, (hardly children any more) and our extended family. I still have my 1934 Lagonda Rapier and I still have the Renault project car. OK its progress  may be slowed a little but it will eventually be finished, The seats are now with the upholsterer. I have the carpet and material for the interior trim on order. I will still have to find all the parts needed for the coupling between the clutch and the gearbox. And I still have to find some parts for the brake servo, mounted onto the side of the gearbox. I may now paint the new headlamp mounts and the lamps rather than have them chrome plated but that can wait for a while.  But PLEASE no more crazy offers to sell me non existant stuff!

My next  task is to assemble the brakes and get the car back onto four wheels.

And NO! I don't need a "Gold Plated giggle pin" thank you.! 

Bernie j.

Posted (edited)

Bernie,

It is painful to read that you have been scammed over the engine and transmission. As you say, though, it is not the end of the world.  I appreciate your optimism and doggedness with this project and I very much enjoy your progress posts.

While you do not need a "Gold plated giggle pin:, I can supply you with the special tools to deframitize the woblem shaft on your Renault, at a very reasonable price :)

Cheers!

Edited by DrData (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thank you Dr Data

I am glad that we both speak the same language. I do appreciate your input . It is such a shame that we are all spread so widely around the world that  we never get to meet.

Bernie j  AKA oldcar.

• Like 2

On further checking it appears that the real  Phoenix International Frt Company went out of  business two years ago!

Bj.

Back to work!

Today I started re-assembling the brakes on the rear of the Renault.  I still have quite a bit to do, my aim is to have it standing on four wheels although eventually the rear axle assembly has to come out again when I have a suitable gearbox to install.  Mean-while it will be easier to move on four wheels. 

One more thing for my "to do list" I have to make four new brake cables. 

Eventually I will come to a point where I have run out of things to do. 

Bj.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Before I can progress the replacing of the right hand side rear brakes BUT first I have to repair the outside end of the half shaft. It appears to have been struck heavily with a "blunt instrument" . I now need to straighten up the end and go over the thread with the correct size metric tap. First thing will be to buy the correct size tap. Fortunately Renault's preference for using Left Hand Thread for left side wheel retaining nuts was not extended to the hub retaining nuts at the end of the half shaft. Just finding the correct size tap may take some time. Pre-war Metrics sometimes vary from the Post war threads! (Even numbers)

This appears to be the only attempt to do any work on the car by one or other of the interim owners. I am just glad they did not do any more.

Any Bugatti owner can tell you all about Odd and Even number Metric threads. 

Bj.

DSCN6887.thumb.jpg.c4e4a47391ea1f4d5377746856416ec0.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A week later and the new backing plates along with new bonded brake linings are fitted; all that is needed is a nut on the brake operating cam and the hub and brake drum can go on. The wheel bearing has been washed out and repacked with High-temperature WB Grease and new cork "oil seals" installed.

DSCN6890.thumb.jpg.724000b8a8f32d3f4f2fc1f8320eafe9.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

DSCN6891.thumb.jpg.42325be6efaf416b10f2ddd4c6cfb4f2.jpgDSCN6893.thumb.jpg.0e3431324106f56a6739fdf0ab70cf2e.jpg

One small step at a time...........

I am now waiting to get the other half-shaft back from having the threaded end repaired so I can finish assembling the "other side" 

Meanwhile small details are still important. Wheel nuts are marked G and D indicating Gauche (Left) and Droite (Right).

The wheel retaining studs having a Left hand thread on the left side and a Right hand thread on the right side. 

In the 1920s Renault still took this precaution, the thinking of that time being that it may be possible for the wheel nuts to loosen with the rotation of the wheel. Using left hand thread wheel retaining nuts on the left side of the car was a precaution against this.

Bj.

• Like 1

Bernie,

Great progress, especially since it seems one of the half shafts was struck, several times, by the proverbial "BFH"

Good thing you are also bilingual !

I don't recall from earlier, but do you have any engine/transmission pieces that could assist with your rebuild? 

Cheers!

Thank you Dr Data

Looking back I started thois thread in October 2014. It is disappointing to me that the rebuild of the car has not progressed further.

To answer your question, Yes I have two motors and two gearbox (housings). The first motor  I bought from someone in New Zealand. this went to prove the general assumption that Kiwis are an ignorant lot. He made a mistake counting the con-rods as there were only five that came with the motor. I later found one end of the sixth hidden still in the piston, what happened to the other half is still a mystery.

By then I had joined the French Renault Freres (Club) and bought another engine in France. I was told by the club member who went and did a pre-purchase inspection on my behalf. That it looked good and that it had been "turned over".  

Silly me!  I thought that meant that the crankshaft had been rotated, indicating that the motor was "Free".  But No! the motor that had been outside for some considerable time without any spark plugs in it! It had been "rolled over" to allow some of the rusty water to drain out of it. It was rusted solid!  By combining parts from both motors I do have sufficient parts to build one complete motor. With the two gearboxes the story is something similar. The first a correct RY1 box, complete with most of the parts for the mechanical Brake Servo had only one problem, when I removed the lid some enterprising soul had thrown an old universal joint into the space that should have been full of gears! The second "box" has a "similar" case but no provision for the brake servo. The gears inside all look to be in excellent condition except the "reverse idler" which is deeply pitted with rust. I have yet to discover if these gears will go into the "box"  with the brake servo.. That is on my "to do" list and should be looked into sometime soon. Both cases have the correct provision for mounting onto the front of the torque tube. I am in the process of joining the English Renault Freres and possibly the French club too. I have been a member of both in the past. I also need to brush up on my "French" language skills.

Sebastian where do you live? Perhaps you could make some enquires to "Depanoto" for me? I will send you a "p-m".   For the benefit of the people who probably have never heard of "Depanoto", it is  a huge Spare's" organisation that dates back to the time when our cars were new. It is run by two ladies of a "certain age". Their knowledge of French car parts is  quite anazing .

Bj.

• Like 1