oldcar

1927/9 Renault Monasix parts wanted

Benefits of AACA Membership.

hello, ok a good stay;).
paris has yet we must be careful because of the attack he had been : '(.
if you're in the south of France called me, his may be good;)

Old thread, but maybe you are still interested in parts? I might have a radiator that fits. It's located in northern Sweden.

Thank you for the thought, I sold the Renault some months ago. It had BOTH radiators. Being one of the last Renaults with the radiator(s) mounted one on each side behind the engine it had two radiator cores linked by a common header tank. The bottom outlet pipes were joined at the back of the engine. Sorry I do not have any photographs now.  My current project is a 1912 Humber 11hp. You can see all about it on "Our Cars & Restoration Projects" at the start of the Forum.

Bj. 

Posted (edited)

24252932_IMG_4006copy.thumb.JPG.72d9cd4a6b59516b393b860cc18e2fd0.JPG

Four years later and I have just agreed to re-purchased the Renault Monosix. I am now anxiously waiting for it to be delivered, As far as I can tell despite going through two or possibly three different new owners absolutely nothing seems to have been done on the car. This time I am detirmined to at least complete a cosmetic restoration. It is  such a shame to see such a rare car languishing untouched. This photo  shows the car about to leave our home in May 2016.

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Nice project, it looks in good condition ;) .
I wish you good luck on the works :) 

I find it almost unbelieveble BUT the last owner actually used the photographs I had taken almost five years earlier for his "For Sale" advertisement. It is now due to arrive "home" sometime later today.

Somehow apart from travelling a couple of thousand miles around the southern parts of Australia this Renault seems that it will not have progressed at all. I fail to understand why or how these wannabe "enthusiasts" even bother buying a car in the first place. Sadly this does not seem to be an exclusive "Australian" complaint, you need to look no further than the pages of this forum to see examples from all around the world.

Bj.

• Like 1

The Renault arrived home safely yesterday and all the boxes of "stuff" unloaded. Now here is a funny thing that carries on form my earlier comments.

The car has passed through the hands of two subsequent owners  and approximately five years have passed us by.  Now looking at the boxes of parts thay came with the car I have had that funny feeling. As I unpacked all the stuff to put it onto the shelves in my garage I am certain that NONE of this stuff had been unpacked since I placed it all into the  various boxes and cardboard cartoons five years earlier.. 

I still have trouble understanding what motivates people to buy a vintage car "project" and not even unpack all the bits to at least look at them.

Perhaps it is me that has this owning and retoring vintage cars all wrong.

Posted (edited)

DSCN6848.thumb.jpg.2f4db98f624b469de3e0b0cfb18da631.jpgDSCN6849.thumb.jpg.ad37a8204b78cda940eac5fcbd22b4b0.jpgDSCN6850.thumb.jpg.c0e4acb3d9841413f66fef40cd9cfce9.jpg

With the Renault safely in my garage, I have spent a "pleasant Sunday afternoon" mentally going through what needs to be done and where to start. The body has survived all the moving around extremely well, looking at it today you would think that it had never left my "work-shop". With very little more work it will be ready to go to the painters. Likewise the windscreen frame  can go off to be nikel plated almost at once. It has to come off before any paint can be applied so it may as well be plated. I need to lower the rear suspension. It has just the one transverse spring at the rear  which makes this much easier and lowering the rear will vastly enhance the appearance of the car. The timber dashboard needs a light sandpapering and another coat of stain and some clear satin finish then a gentle polish.

The front seats frames need a little more work and they can go to be upholstered. While this is being done I can cover the interior trim panels. I had cut out these and trial fitted them before selling the car five years ago.  It is all very much as if I had never sold the car and had perhaps just gone away for a week's holiday.

The  only down side is that I am five years older but the good thing is I do not feel a day older.

Bj.

• Like 3

One of my first tasks will be to lower the rear suspension to drop the tail of the car down two or three inches. This should improve the balance of the car.

More re this later.

Bj.

Bernie,

An unbelievable find on your part. To have the Renault go through two owners and make it back to your "shop" relatively unscathed is another amazing story.  Your original thread on the restoration of this car was something I followed with a great deal of interest...just the idea of taking on such an old car, so far from its home country takes courage.  Glad it made its way back to you and hope you get it on the road this time around.

Cheers.

Posted (edited)

Thank You Dr Data

Not all, but the more interesting cars that pass through my hands as "Another Project" are very memorable, or at least to me.  Even if I have put them out of my mind, it does not take very much to refresh my memory. Of course for most of these I do have photographs so that I can always refer back to them.  Next to my family my cars, "Basket case rescues" have tended to take over.   Over a 60+ year period as an "old car" enthusiast, a lot of memorable cars have owed their refreshed or renewed lives to me.

I find it tremendously satisfying to be able to breathe new life into my "basket cases", so it is not entirely a one way street. The Renault is not unique in this. Some people will tell you that it is a form of madness but to me it is very normal.  It has brought me into contact with people from all around the world. 

For example I do not find it unusual that I, living in Australia, am having this conversation with you in the USA!  

If it had not been for the "1922 Dixie Flyer", I would have never thought of the AACA or of this Forum. Somewhere buried within the Forum there is another Basket Case Rescue story dealing with it, even more remarkable than this Renault.

With the Renault I probably needed a breathing space, now I can go back to it refreshed and hopefully finish what I started, some years ago.  Without being too sentimental, I am glad that the opportunity to do so has now arisen.  Having said that I did have another "unfinished project" that I could have just as easily gone back to. It will have to wait, I just hope that I can livge long enough to finish it too.  If I don't no one will even notice!

If you can understand all that, you are doing well!

Bernie j. 

It is indeed surprising that the former owners did not open the boxes to see what was there. And it's a great story that you bought your car, I wish you luck for the rest :) 

Hello Sebastien

It is one of those unexplained mysteries. Not just the one but the two people, the one that I originally sold the car to and the second person who bought the car from the first and then in turn sold it back to me. Pre WW2 Renaults are a very individual car, just the placement of the radiator(s) makes them different but then mechanically they are also quite different! The connection between the motor and the gearbox is like nothing else. This and the general layout of the chassis and suspension asks all sort of questions.  There seems to be just the one answer to all or any of these.  "Oh, but it is a Renault! 

Even little things such as the steering wheel. Why FIVE spokes?

Bj.

DSCN6849.thumb.jpg.01e12067af449faf99448367c2a01427.jpg

• Like 1

Going no-where looking back.

I introduced this subject back in 2014 and got no response then, Now that I am now starting over again working on "my" Renault the question has arrisen again.

Attached is a photograph of the Mechanical brake servo attached to the rear of my Renaults gearbox. Nowhere can I find any reference to this. Can anyone add any light to this ?

Bj.

DSCN6852.thumb.jpg.3ed91d4df2bf4074dddf3dd05bf763ed.jpg

• Like 1

Indeed each piece is remarkable, it is well designed.
You may have answers if you put it in the "general discussion" category on the forum.
If you want I can try to get information in France :) 

Hello Sebastien

Oh Boy!

I have just opened a can of worms....

Ihave taken the top of the gearbox in the car only to find it a total lash-up. Not a gear insight and where the gears should be, there is a "universal joint" making a direct drive through the "box "Who, How, Why" are just some of the questions that will need to be answered.

I used to have some good contacts through the Renault Freres (Club) in France. At this stage I am not sure if to join the English or The French branch of the CLUB

The French tend to be difficult if your command of their  language is not perfect.

I will try "touching base" with both clubs.

Bernie j.

• Like 2

Looks like a gearbox rebuild is in your future! Yikes...just a u-joint.

How are the engine and the rear end?

More I read the more I am learning. I now know that the mechanical Brake Servo driven off the output shaft in the gearbox was standard equipment on the slightly "Up-market" Monastella, but not on the"Bread and Butter" version: the Monasix. Whether this makes it any easier to source parts or not is open to conjecture. At least I now know where to look (perhaps?). I can only hope the nonsense modification to the "Monastella gearbox" is not terminal. Hopefully I can intergrate the internals from one box to the other. Only time will tell. This modification also casts doubts about the final drive ratio in the rear axle that came in the same parcel.   This also means that I may have to seek admittance to the Renault Frere's France.  Watch this space!

902479039_YS83751.jpeg.e4f25f9ff836bcba46200931c29e34de.jpeg

Agree indeed, if you can't get answers, don't hesitate to ask me so that I ask in France :) .
I don't realize it because I'm French, but (apparently) the French language is one of the most difficult languages to learn and speak.
There is a lot of conjugation, .... Even we who are French sometimes make mistakes in writing.
French people can be difficult because they cannot understand what is written there, some will be understanding, but the French language is difficult to speak :( 

Hello Sebastien

You really must think that I am a  rude and uncooth person. I apologise I had not realised that you are indeed French and living in France. 

We still live in hope of doing one more visit to your wonderful country.  You mentioned earlier that you had one or two Friends involved with "Renault Before the War"

I have now made contact again with the forum. Perhaps some of the members will remember me.  There would not have been many members from Australia. 

My email is  

twooldlags@gmail.com

Thank you and please accept my apology for being so stupid.

Regards

Bernie Jacobson.

• Like 1

After another productive day on the Renault.  I now have the rear axle, torque tube and gearbox out, I have removed the "universal joint" from where it was hiding inside the gearbox, removed the brake servo and dismantled it so I now know what is missing from it's internals. I think that at this juncture I will consult my good friend John Needham of "OLD CAR GEARBOXES" before I dismantle the other gearbox. I still need to establish what variations there are in the internals of the  servo and non servo boxes. If any? I need to source a drive pinion (gear) for the servo and the driven plate. Most of you reading this will not have any idea what I am talking about but at least I do.

Bj.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 1:51 PM, oldcar said:

Hello Sebastien

You really must think that I am a  rude and uncooth person. I apologise I had not realised that you are indeed French and living in France. 

We still live in hope of doing one more visit to your wonderful country.  You mentioned earlier that you had one or two Friends involved with "Renault Before the War"

I have now made contact again with the forum. Perhaps some of the members will remember me.  There would not have been many members from Australia. 

My email is  

twooldlags@gmail.com

Thank you and please accept my apology for being so stupid.

Regards

Bernie Jacobson.

There is no problem ;) , I ask and I will keep you informed if I can help you with your renault  :)