65 GS SOLD ON EBAY

Mr Riviera

Devil, I happen to know several national auto historians who have all picked the 65GS for the next 100K car in the very near future. 2 years ago I had a 35 Derby Bentley and every national appraiser I know told me they were only worth 65 tops. I did my own research and saw that the market said it was worth more and I got more then double that in a 24 hr listing! 2 years ago early 911's and late 964 didn't bring a lot and now there all over 100K + and climbing extremely fast because the market says so. (supply and demand!) I may sound eccentric but I know cars. I believe you might be selling the brand short not the market. If I could Id buy as many nice 65 GS's as I could, just for investment only! In the meantime enjoy the cars as they are fun to own, restore

and drive and there are still reasonable and the value should be secondary.

OK Riviera people: I saw that car in the flesh. It was a nice car to begin with that was nicely gone through. Mitch

I would love to own that car......one thing nobody has mentioned in this post is that the original

owner of this Riviera was Kirby Grant, the star of the fifties TV show Sky King, one of my favorite shows

when I was a kid.

I would love to own that car......one thing nobody has mentioned in this post is that the original

owner of this Riviera was Kirby Grant, the star of the fifties TV show Sky King, one of my favorite shows

when I was a kid.

I bought the car from Leonard Scott a number of years ago to restore but sold it before I had a chance to do it . The Sky King story is what Leonard told me . Leonard was a good friend so I am sure he believed the story to be true . I tried to document it with no results . It was a very nice car to restore - should have kept it ! LOL

I am not talkiing the car down at all. I love Rivieras. I think they are very overlooked cars. That being said, they were not a musclecar, so the value isn't that high. You an say that you think it will be the next 100k car, but i sure would not bet on it. I don't plan on selling mine, so i have no horse in the race. As they are i think they are a great value. If they had gone ahead and developed the heads further we might be talking about something else, but they didn't so no crying over it.

If you ask the general populace, even people from the era of the car, it generally does not come up in conversation. I hear about mustangs, vettes, chargers, and a horde of others. Look at the aftermarket parts out there. they just are not in demand. I wish they were so i didn't have to fab everything i have to replace. We love the car or we wouldn't be on the boards or part of the ROA, but face it we are a subniche of a niche market. The car is all kinds of cool, but not everyone sees it that way.

Guest dwhiteside64

post-93227-143142778985_thumb.jpg

If you ask the general populace, even people from the era of the car, it generally does not come up in conversation. I hear about mustangs, vettes, chargers, and a horde of others.

Ok I get what your saying but I respectively disagree concerning the lack of conversation concerning the Riviera, and in particular, the first generation models. I was at a local car show yesterday and received quite a lot of attention from everyone, and that included many who owned and loved these cars back in the day, as well as those who just like the design period. Of course the most widely asked question was which year had the cool clamshell headlights lol, but there where many who knew a lot about the car and it's impact on American auto design. And yes, there where many, many Mustangs, Chevelles, Chargers, Challengers, Superbees, Coronets, ect. there, but I received as much or more attention from everyone that walked by. Granted, I don't expect to EVER get five figures for my ride, but I feel it may one day be possible for a really nice condition '65 Gran Sport to reach that level of value. Probably will take some time, but we all have seen these cars appreciate greatly over the past 10-15 years so it's quite possible.

post-93227-143142778864_thumb.jpg

post-93227-14314277889_thumb.jpg

post-93227-143142778908_thumb.jpg

post-93227-143142778927_thumb.jpg

post-93227-143142778947_thumb.jpg

post-93227-143142778966_thumb.jpg

Edited by dwhiteside64 (see edit history)

The car wasn't a feature in the dukes of hazard, fast and furious, etc. It wasn't a huge pop culture icon. I can't speak about what it was in 1964 since that was 6 years before i was born, but in my lifetime no one mentioned them and i thought it was a jewel of a find when i came upon one of my own. I am sure they will get attention when someone sees one restored, but it will never be a mopar with a hemi, a bullet mustang, or something along those lines as far as a cultural impact.

That being said, i feel like the 64 Riviera fits me to a tee. It is a mix of musclecar and style that i think is pretty special. To go even further i was more than happy to find out about all the things they did well with the nailheads as far as durability and driveability. I had always been a torque fan since owning a 70s firebird with a 455 in it. The 425 nailhead is a bit different than that, but in a good way. If i had a wish it would be that someone had developed heads that could breathe a bit better, but even that is nit-picking really.

Guest dwhiteside64
It was a feature in "Roadhouse" though, with Patrick Swazye. :>)

...and let's not forget the '64 featured in the now classic "Drive Angry" with Nicholas Cage! :P

post-93227-143142779785_thumb.png