Advice for dealing with Antique Vehicle Estate

victorialynn2

At the risk of being laughed off this forum, here goes...

My father has several antique cars, as well as lots of parts and tools. He is no longer able to work on them so I need to sell them. I am not mechanically inclined, and I am not in a rush. I also understand that people will try to take advantage of this situation if I'm not very careful. Any advice on where to start?

Guest straight shooter

Nothing to laugh about, your question and concern is legitimate. The approach I would take on finding a value would be to compare the vehicles with comparable ones that are currently listed for sale (Ebay, Hemmings, Classic Cars, Auto Trader Classics, Bring A Trailer, Old Ride, etc.). Keep in mind that those are all asking prices and do not reflected the actual sold prices. You can also search completed auction results for a more accurate number. Another idea that might not be bad at all would be to have the vehicles appraised. You could also post descriptions and pictures of the vehicles on this thread and I am sure many people will help you out.

Edited by straight shooter (see edit history)

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for using our forum for the 1st time! Your question is a serious one -- something that comes up here occasionally as a forum topic. Nationwide, I bet someone is in your boat every few days. Most of the time, you have a family whose car collector member is deceased and they don't know what the Sam Hill to do with the old cars. I know of a Peerless Motor Car Club member up in Alberta who amassed a 20-car collection [20 cars-20 makes], died, and they are just now starting to sell them. When my grandfather died, there was no one to tell the tale at the auction of 10 or 20 cars.

Speaking of my grandfather, the executor chose a local, low-end auction company(Larry, Daryll & Daryll-type-place) to sell everything. Auctioneer didn't use Hemmings Motor News to publicize the sale(big no-no), and his two best cars went for about 20 cents-on-the dollar of reasonable value, or what you might have paid for a couple of 6-year old minivans*. The goal here was to convert all of the assets in 6 auctions into cash to divide among the descendants, not to get high returns on the sales.

You might be in a better position than some of these other folks. If you sold some cars....all at once or 1-at-a-time, someone might be able to ask: "Did this car get bought by you new or was so-and-so the first owner?", or "What are these parts in the orange crate? Are they for a Model "A" Ford or a Gleaner combine?" Depending what the cars were and your father's situation, he might get a kick out of it.

----Jeff

* In this case, a 1909 Buick Raceabout and a Full-Classic Elcar Cabriolet staight-8 (1926).

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Thank you for your response. I grew up with Hemming's and I am very familiar with ebay, NADA and other sites/publications. I have no idea how to determine the actual condition of these cars on my own. I suspect I need a reliable old car mechanic to go through them. I'm sure they haven't been run for at least 2 years. Is there a resource to find a good mechanic?

Also, I was thinking of having them appraised, if for no other reason but to update insurance values. Sadly, my father can not help. I am considering an auction, but there is much to do first to get the cars fixed up and ready. Any recommendations for a site auction vs. bringing them to Mecum or another auction?

I am in real estate so I am confident I can manage this once I know what condition the cars are in and get them prepared for sale. I appreciate the help!

I have all the records for the cars. Dad is meticulous. Some back to original titles and parts that have been bought for each.

I'm not sure it would be safe to post what he has here. I'm quite familiar with the downfalls of posting too much personal info on the net. (I teach tech classes about that.) However, I do appreciate the advice you all are giving me.

Guest straight shooter

I understand your concerns but keep in mind that when you decide to sell the cars you are going to have to post descriptions and pictures online. There is now way around this especially in todays world where everything is done through the internet and it is the way to reach the largest audience. The larger the audience that you reach the more chances you have of selling the cars and for the highest possible prices. When you sell the cars you are even going to have to disclose their location. Posting descriptions and pictures of the cars here with no personal information attached is not all that bad.

Guest straight shooter
I am starting to think there is a business opportunity for someone to give fair and honest guidance for people in this position.

To words that are hard to find nowadays. There are auction companies that are experienced in these situations but I do not know if they are fair and honest. If the cars are common and need work they might not even be interested in auctioning them off in one of their auctions. There are also antique car dealers that buy and consign but you are going to get less than if you tried to sell them on your own.

Yes but it's early in the process and no way to assess value with what I know at this point about the cars. I really need a resource to find a mechanic to get started.

I guess it's worth an opinion. He has a good collection of American made cars. Likes to keep them original. His pride and joy is his 57 retractable. Also very nice shape a 1930 Model A Coupe, 24 Model T Roadster, 61 Corvair PU, 48 Willeys, 70 Bronco and some others.

To words that are hard to find nowadays. There are auction companies that are experienced in these situations but I do not know if they are fair and honest. If the cars are common and need work they might not even be interested in auctioning them off in one of their auctions. There are also antique car dealers that buy and consign but you are going to get less than if you tried to sell them on your own.

That is what I assumed. I guess I am going to have to become an antique car dealer. Lol

Guest straight shooter

People are starting to appreciate original more and more. Conditions is everything and could affect the price immensely. The model T could be worth $10,000-$20,000 and the Model A $10,000-$30,000. Those are obviously rough figures I am throwing you. Is the Willeys a Jeepster? If it is, I see them listed from $15,000-$38,000.

Guest straight shooter

Listing the cars on the Buy/Sell area of this forum might be your best bet. It is free and you target a dedicated audience of serious car collectors. Craigslist and your local newspaper isn't the place and the other sites that I listed previously charge a fee. You could also search for independent forums/car clubs that specialize in the specific cars that you have. Getting the word out at local car clubs and car shows is also a great way of advertising the cars but you already have to have a price in mind. The few people that I know that have classic cars bought them from word of mouth from local car clubs and car shows. The plus side to a local sale is no hassles with shipping, dealing with an out of town buyers, or middlemen.

My dad has sold cars my entire life and it's actually a business for him. I do think he sold quite a few that way. I would think Hemming's would also be a good option. I do believe he sold many that way as well.

Any idea on the marketability of the cars I mentioned? I believe those are all desirable. Some more then others of course.

Guest straight shooter

The people here could asses the condition for you based on the pictures. Pictures can sometimes be misleading but it gives you and them something to start with. I don't consider myself and expert but there are many members here with a wealth of knowledge and many concentrate on specific makes and models.

Guest straight shooter

The Jeepster and the Ford Retractable, without seeing pictures, are my favorite. The model T and Model A are nice and parts are readily available. The problem that I see with them is that they were made for many years and in huge numbers, many survived, and the market is always flooded with them. Competition is fierce unless yours are in exceptional condition or have rare items. With that said, they could be the first to sell, you never know. All you need is one buyer that takes interest in the car.

Guest straight shooter

You said they haven't run in 2 years so I take it that they will not start without having minor work done to them. You definitely need to get them running. If you sell them as none running you are going to take a hit. The cost of getting them running will be easily recuperated, unless something more extensive is needed to get them running. Are there any car shows where you live? If so, attend one and try to find similar vehicles to the ones you have and ask the owners if they know of any good mechanics.

Advice on how to find an appraiser would also be appreciated. Thank you.

This may come across as helpful or not but appraisers are worthless. I don't want to derail your thread with a long discussion why but your best bet is to take some good pictures and post them here. You will get genuine feedback that will be for the most part free from any agendas.

EDIT: Sorry, should have gone to page two. Good idea posting the pictures.

...I was thinking of having them appraised, if for no other reason but to update insurance values...I am in real estate so I am confident I can manage this once I know what condition the cars are in and get them prepared for sale...

As a real estate agent, one is used to and comfortable with dealing with marketing, large transactions and a variety of buyer types — this will be very helpful.

On the other hand, in real estate, the value of a property can usually be appraised within a narrow percentage range, and be reasonably expected to sell within that range. This is rarely the case with vintage cars! Appraisals are typically done for insurance purposes and the appraised values are, as a general rule, substantially higher than one would achieve in a sale.

I agree with the other posters who suggest posting pictures and general location here and on select other forums to gauge realistic values and perhaps generate solid sales leads.

For your Model T, which is the only car in your collection that I have any particular knowledge of, a very useful approach would be to take decent photos (front and real quarter views, interior toward dash and toward seats, truck bed, engine both sides) and post them on the largest and best Model T discussion forum: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/411944.html This forum is provided by the Model T Ford Club of America, I have hung out there for years, and they are a good group of people — straight shooters and genuinely helpful. The MTFCA also has a For Sale board which is a worthwhile place to list the car for sale when you are ready. Many of the Model T guys also have Mcodel As and would not hesitate to offer comments around your 1930 Coupe and suggest what Model A forum to query.

Good luck!

I see alot of Jeepsters on Ebay. They all seems to sell or ask in the 10000-15000 range. I would have to think it would need to be nearly flawless to bring much more. Mainly because there seem to be so many for sale. Post photos of them all when you get a chance. You may find a buyer or two right here. Ebay may work better for rarer cars unless you want to walmart price the cars. I've tried selling a few on Ebay. Common stuff only sells if it's the cheapest available it seems. Nada seems to be high for values from what I have seen and experienced. Completed listings on ebay are helpful but be sure the car didn't sell then get relisted a few more times. A lot of Non paying bidders and not entirely honest sellers out there as well.

Good luck.

Keep in mind that appraiser and price guides are based only on reported sales. In this hobby as well as you father's past deals, most sales are private and not reported to any record keepers. In my 42 years in the hobby I've witnessed more sales between collectors than from dealers or auctions to hobbyists. I think all my vehicles would sell for prices better than any price guides I've seen, when properly condition rated. (Most cars are #2, #3 or #4 in running condition)

With this in mind, you should contact your fathers acquaintances & car friends as well as his suppliers and club members who probably know more about his cars than you do. This web Forum is a good start, but people who know him and his cars are a better source. Unless he was a real loner, these folks could be of great help in information, mechanical help, establishing values and even as possible buyers.

A common story in the hobby is that we hear "if you ever want to sell that car, call me first". He can't provide you with that information but it's a good bet that the people who know him can. Examples of this are common in the hobby and seeking those contacts could make your task much easier while meeting your father's piers. Remember we all will face the position you are in at some time, at least the survivors among us. A lack of planning is something we all should be working in our hobby.

A question for all the Forum members: Do you have a set of instructions for your collection liquidator? It does not have to be part of your will, it can be a separate changeable set of instructions called "Separate Writings" as long as the will says you have Separate Writings for personal property" (Like your collection) (Check your State laws)

Wow, thank you all so much for the terrific help and advice. As a kid and young adult I was around collectors a lot and it's good to see you all are still as good a group as I remember. ;)

I need to get a better camera and upload some high res pics and also do some more research and prep on the cars. You will be hearing from me and meanwhile I will be stalking this forum. ;)

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

Wow, thank you all so much for the terrific help and advice. As a kid and young adult I was around collectors a lot and it's good to see you all are still as good a group as I remember. ;)

I need to get a better camera and upload some high res pics and also do some more research and prep on the cars. You will be hearing from me and meanwhile I will be stalking this forum. ;)

I can help post photos here for you, if you like. Send them to me. John

keiser31@charter.net

Guest AlCapone

Some times we can be too apprehensive ! In order to do a proper assessment and provide advice you have to disclose the appropriate information, year, make, model, condition, photographs, etcetera. With all due respect there is a distinct difference in selling houses and cars. I personally don't want a mechanic selling my house and I sure as heck don't want a real estate salesperson selling my car. You should engage the services of a person or company a little more knowledgable in the car industry.

Wayne

Mr. Capone, if my messages don't convey that I admit I need help and realize I need to provide more info (that I don't currently have), I apologize. If real estate has taught me anything it's is that I'm not an attorney, a home inspector or even a car dealer. I was asking for advice and referrals. Btw, would you like to buy or sell a house?

With proper photos and descriptions, you can readily sell your Dads cars on ebay. It is done everyday. They arent always running, but if you wish to invest in a mechanic, you will certainly bring a bit more money to the vehicle. If you are not in a hurry, list one at a time. The cars you mention are quite common, so dont expect a fortune because you are told so by one individual.....

you can work on one car at a time, take the sold values from ebay and you will very well know what the cars will bring in this market. It is not rocket science.

Also having a RE license and being involved with cars my whole life, there are many similar parameters and criteria for evaluating both. You can do this yourself wo enlisting expensive appraisals or auctioneers.

The question is, how involved and how much work do you want to do..............................? Everything that brings a return requires effort.

Thank you Mercer09,

l have already relocated to assist my father so time is not an issue. I agree that these are not big money cars. When I was young he had some mint condition original vets like a 63 split window coupe and a 58 hardtop and soft top (my favorite). Those would have been better to have now. ;) I think my biggest challenge will be to get him to part with what he does have. We will see. In the meantime I have time to research and learn. Thank you for the input.

Guest AlCapone
Mr. Capone, if my messages don't convey that I admit I need help and realize I need to provide more info (that I don't currently have), I apologize. If real estate has taught me anything it's is that I'm not an attorney, a home inspector or even a car dealer. I was asking for advice and referrals. Btw, would you like to buy or sell a house?

I just did ! I bought 20 acres with a large arena ( used for rodeos ) to house my large car collection. I buy to keep, not resell and I buy cars from the 20 and 30's. If you wish to communicate with me by private email I will consider your Model A and any other car in that era. Wayne

Remember an appraiser's appraisal value is still just a person's opinion. The Inspection/ appraisal I had done on my 60 Corvette and the one I found in the trunk, both verify that. Especially because of missed things that I specifically asked them to check and were found by my wife, a Non old car person, within minutes of the car coming off the carrier.

I wouldn't waste your money on one, unless the estate requires it to determine value because of multiple heirs.

The internet makes it possible to determine a rough value of most relatively common cars in minutes.