Did everyone find what they were looking for at Hershey?

auburnseeker

We lucked out and had good weather for the swap meet at Hershey for those that couldn't attend. I only found a pair of wiper arms for my Cord. There were other things I would have liked to have bought for myself but I couldn't justify spending the money on them. That being said I did buy 285 parts for my business and spent 1205.00 total. Which works out to about 4.23 each. My father and I walked the fields from 2:00 PM-7:00 PM Tuesday, 8:00 am Wednesday and Thursday until 7:00 PM, and 8:00 until 1:00 on Friday. Really you only have good shopping from about 10:00 until 4:30. Lots of walking between vendors after that.

Overall very satisfied with my purchases. Most vendors were looking to sell stuff. I got some good package prices.

Here is my annual Hershey finds photo.

post-43003-143142775242_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142775236_thumb.jpg

post-43003-143142775239_thumb.jpg

Guest BigDogDaddy

I had a great time. But they could have condensed everything down to just a few fields. There were way too many empty spaces. I know sometimes vendors don't show up, but most of the spaces were taken up by giant RVs. You would walk down a row, and half the row was RVs parked back to back, then one or two vendors allllllllllll the way down at the end. And the rows were very difficult to follow. Some rows ran on angles, some only went part way down then abruptly stopped. There were some rows in between other rows. Sometimes the rows ran East / West, and other times they ran North / South...in the same field. I think if they could probably organized the fields in a way that could eliminate the fields that ran behind the Giant Center, and the fields over by the Stadium. And by sticking to a grid pattern would help both the vendors and the customers.

There was way too traffic at all hours of the event. They used to be very strict about cars and trucks driving during certain hours. Now it is like a free for all. I also noticed way too many scooters and golf carts too. I'd say 90 % of the people who had scooters did not need them, and they proved that by getting up and walking around without any difficulty. many of the people who had them were not very old or disabled. We constantly had to jump out of the way of speeding scooters.

And while I'm at it, what's with the Banker's Hours of the vendors. Many vendors did not open until somewhere between 9 am and 10 am. You can't expect to sell very much if you are not open. We used to get there by 6:30 am and most vendors were already open and we stayed until we just couldn't see the parts anymore. Some vendors had lights and we stayed until around 9 pm.

The place used to have the sweet smell of chocolate. This year it had the smell of raw sewage. That may have been due to the construction going on inside the park.

I've been going to Hershey on and off for 40 years, and I still love going and will continue to go for a s long as I can. It is still a great event, and the AACA volunteers do a great job with it.

Interesting comments most of which I agree with. I bought some now small stuff from the son of one of the original car dealers from the town of Hershey itself. I asked the grandson about the lack of chocolate smell for the last few years and he said they moved production to Mexico! Last year there was that same sewage smell, not pleasant at all. Yes, too many people on scooters stretching the rules.

Well, guys, I agree there are too many scooters, and I'm getting older and it's harder to dodge them, almost hit numerous times while walking. Another thread discussed this, there ARE no rules on scooters other than you're supposed to register them, ANYONE can have one. And, many lazy people do. Me, I have knees that are marginal and too much weight to carry on them, but so far refuse to be a lazy bum. Many people really need transport, many more don't.

I wish there were a solution for the parking issue. I know it would be hard to do, but I think that people who want a space to park should be able to able to pay slightly less for a space, they so mark on they're application, and all parking is done on let's say the Red Field. All those vendors are then moved to other fields. A separate place, such as Orange Field, would be available for all large motor homes, for people not selling. All sellers could be consolidated to both Chocolate Fields and Green Field.

I know this won't happen, just dreaming. The Hershey Region has a lot on their plate and do a great job, enforcing what should be the policies would be tough.

My friend Greg and I still say, a few weeks before Hershey week, that we're starting to smell the chocolate, miss that too!

I've been in a manufacturing facility in Mexico, companies move there for cheap labor (rack manufacturer paying $250 a week, 10 hour days and 6 days a week for welders), no EPA, no OSHA...working conditions are awful in some places.

What's the book in the upper right hand corner ? Any Dodge Brothers or Graham Brothers stuff ?

Only one early Mopar specific part. The gas tank gauge. The book is a GP parts book for ignition parts. I didn't have one that comprehensive.

I agree about the lack of vendors per row. Lots of lost time trying to find the vendors in the rows of parked motor homes. Especially when you buy all makes and models of parts you have to hit every single space. Frustrating to see the guys picking up at 3 or 4 PM and then seeing vendors coming in with a bunch of parts headed for rows you already covered at 10-11:00 AM.

I still enjoy it and plan to be back next year. Every year I buy a little more than I did the year before. I would love to wrangle a few deals ahead of time and buy a whole lot more, just picking the parts up at Hershey.

Many thanks to the Volunteers and the Hershey region for putting up with us.

Sold a couple of items but the one item I really wanted to give a good home to (Allen Engine analyzer) came back with me.

Couple of points:

1. Sewage smell happens with the old plant off Hockersville Rd...some days it is overwhelming.

2. The reason for little chocolate smell is the new 300 plus million dollar plant on the other side of town, not a move to Mexico. The old plant has been torn down.

3. Many people on Scooters etc are still mobile and have issues that are not apparent. With a population the size of the Hershey meet it is difficult to control the use of these devices.

4. The region does have a enforcement team and when they find someone not vending at all they boot them out for the next year. If you find someone circumventing the rules, write down their space numbers and present them to the region. Some areas are reserved for worker parking.

Guest AlCapone

I agree the empty spaces are a frustration and I also think there should be a standard time that everyone opens. I also object to people using their space to park their new vehicle with a small table of useless parts and a change can. They are a detriment to Hershey.

It is time for changes to be made. I also say that if you do not set up a table for 2 years you forfeit your space.

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

I also noticed a lot of empty spaces. I share spaces in the Red Field with friends and we noticed a lack of foot (and scooter) traffic in our field. The weather wasn't a problem this year so I'm not sure why there was less traffic. I didn't buy much, some light bulbs for my old cars and a 1961 Chevy ad with a Bel Air sport sedan. Regardless, I always enjoy Hershey and will attend as long as I'm able to.

I have been in the same spot for over 25 years, so I've seen vendors come and go.... About the empty spaces. There are 4 or 5 spaces directly across from me that have been empty for every one of the last 4 years, at least. The vendor NEVER shows. Perhaps I have a solution, if the vendor has not appeared by Thursday AM, then the space is given to a different person the next year. The lower Chocolate field had many empty spaces.

Frank

Thanks for the clarification, Steve, good information.

I can understand the parking vs vending is tough to enforce. And, I vended only at times, and walked the field the other times, so the line is fuzzy.

It's a great event, and a lot of people give up a lot of their time to make it happen, we're all thankful!

Wayne, I appreciate your desire to have only full time proffessional sellers that have no interest in shopping or can afford to pay employees to watch their spot while they shop. Since Red field has existed, we have had a spot there. We and several of our friends share a couple of tables and put out garage finds from a lifetime of hobbying. This year, I sold an elephant skin Packard trunk from the thirties with matching luggage, A 64 Mercedes 300 SL grille, a set of early Karmann Ghia wheels, two dozen toys and a 6x4 Royal Ctrown sign from the thirties. All on a table with a can while I shopped. Our friends did very similar business. Everyone I spoke too or met at my spot to sell the bigger items were quite excited about my bargain basement prices and availability of unfindable parts and pieces. We are not the detriment to Hershey - We ARE Hershey. We are where the good stuff is found and to be honest, the only kind of vendor I enjoy shopping at. This is historically an amateur event known as a SWAP meet, not a mobile mall for otherwise mail order pros. As far as those detriments, they are also the people working the Library and Museum tents, the members of committees for the National board and the volunteers who come from outside the Hershey Region that come from outside of the area and the cadre of judges who have come to judge the largest car show of its' kind and bring their swap materials to contribute to the event as best as they are able. We are not a detriment to Hershey. We ARE Hershey. If you only want to deal with pros and not see old friends or volunteer to better the hobby -there is always Carlisle. Oh and we spend a lot. Other vendors appreciate that.

I had a great year. I sold a ton of stuff and spent like a drunken sailor. The Chocolate field was busy on Thursday but not on Wednesday. Friday was spotty, but I was told the Green field on Friday was very crowded. I agree with Sam, the small time hobbyist vendor at Hershey is what it is all about. It was good to see you again, Sam. Regards, John

Guest Skyking

After reading all the negative posts above confirms my reasons to shop ebay. The Turkey Rod Run is getting the same way. I know things in life change, sometimes for the worst, but nobody in charge ever seems to correct them.

I don't have any problems with the tables with "put money in the can ". I bought from a few of these. I had a big pile of 1's and 5's so it was easy. Atleast they had something to look at. Better than an empty space or one that was all covered up every time I went by it. Still a great year with good weather for the swap meet. I like Oldford's idea for empty spaces.

I am a novice to these things ... but I would think that a rule like ... if you have a ''Handicaped Parking'' tag that you hang on the mirror of your car ... then you get to drive around on a scooter/golf car/whatever you need ... otherwise ... you walk. Safer/more enjoyable for most everyone I believe.

Regarding Oldfords idea, I don't think it is a fair solution. A few years ago I personally had a situation two days before I was to leave to attend Hershey, obviously I put family first, as any person would do. My space was empty. Should I be penalized or have to submit an affidavit of my personal experience in order to renew my space, I for one do not think so. --Bob

One solution might be for vendors with multiple spaces that they need some years but don't need other years to be allowed to sublet those space thru Hershey Region. A bookkeeping nightmare no doubt. Personally I don't worry about spaces being used as parking spaces. A space not occupied by a seller is likely occupied by a buyer.

About my suggestion above for unused spaces. I have no issue with the occasional empty spaces, but the ones that I spoke of have been empty for 4 years straight. Surely the heads that get together every year to plan the show can come up with a fair solution....

Frank

Guest AlCapone
After reading all the negative posts above confirms my reasons to shop ebay. The Turkey Rod Run is getting the same way. I know things in life change, sometimes for the worst, but nobody in charge ever seems to correct them.
pebay.

There is far more Negativity involved in Ebay ! Hershey beats the butt off Ebay hands down. At least this way you get to see the article and the buyer. Ebay is for articles that can't be sold in any other manner.

Wayne

I have been in the same spot for over 25 years, so I've seen vendors come and go.... About the empty spaces. There are 4 or 5 spaces directly across from me that have been empty for every one of the last 4 years, at least. The vendor NEVER shows. Perhaps I have a solution, if the vendor has not appeared by Thursday AM, then the space is given to a different person the next year. The lower Chocolate field had many empty spaces.

Frank

There can be issues with that, like my neighbor. Last year he did not make the trip to Hershey from MI because he was to another meet just prior and sold out of the stuff he had (signs, gas globes), so with your proposal he would have had to make the trip, sit on his spaces with nothing to sell and waste the time, fuel, and $$ just to keep his spots for this year. As it turned out, he and his wife have had some serious health issues the past year. She won't be able to attend Hershey again and he couldn't find someone to come with him to help him this year. He is planning on being to Hershey next year.

With your proposal, especially since it would happen the fist year you miss. All it would take is you getting a really bad cold, flu, medical condition and you're out. That could cause people to make the trip (single persons) the should never be driving when that ill, just to keep their spaces.

Guest Skyking
pebay.

There is far more Negativity involved in Ebay ! Hershey beats the butt off Ebay hands down. At least this way you get to see the article and the buyer. Ebay is for articles that can't be sold in any other manner.

Wayne

Ebay has it's problems, I'll be the first to admit that, but not the problems mentioned prior to my post which is never, never corrected year after year even with much input.

A lot of people talk about empty spaces. I am in the orange field and only had one other vendor in my row and he left Thursday due to no sales. Had the same two spots last year and tried to change my spots this year by writing the Hershey region - no luck. Maybe next year I will get lucky and change my spaces. See attached pictures that were taken Friday AM.

post-31856-143142778621_thumb.jpg

post-31856-143142778624_thumb.jpg

I go to the Vintage Motorcycle meet at Mid Ohio every year as a vendor. That is a picture perfect example of how a swap meet should be run. The rows are uniform and well marked. The rule is that any vehicle or trailer has to be parked at the back of your space. When you look down each row all you see are tables and booths set up nice and even. If you don't show up there is no penalty but if they catch you leaving before 2pm on Sunday you lose your spot for next year. It is a paid even so they basically they are taking money from the public and promising that vendors will be there all weekend. There have been slow and rainy years where I would have left early but stayed so I didn't lose my spot. If you lose your spot you go to the back of the waiting which means you get stuck at the bottom of the hill where all the mud is when it rains. Much like season tickets in sports if you are vendor that follows the rules you can upgrade to a better available spot each year.

I enjoy reading the comments. It was always a dream to be able to go the Hershey event but work schedule and the cost were both issues. Living on the West Coast would have made it, maybe, a one time thing anyway. I know that I missed the chance to experience the glory days before Ebay but all swap meets have changed and I find myself less motivated to attend some of the good meets around here. I do appreciate being able to follow the happenings from afar, thanks. I hope that I did not highjack the thread by interjecting my comments but I just seemed like by commenting I was able to be part of the event that I will never experience first hand.-Bill

I stopped going to Hershey two years ago-really not worth it to me anymore. The empty space problem has existed for the last 10 years..........

I find more parts on ebay in one afternoon then at Hershey in a 5 year spread. Yes ebay isnt perfect, but far easier.... and bs on Hershey beats the butt off ebay hands down-most likely you are only into the social aspect of the meet.

Hi All,

I agree with a lot of your comments. This is my first and probably only visit to Hershey.

Coming from Africa, travelling 33 hours by plane and then driving down from Canada, takes a lot out of you, plus the cost to get there??. I loved every minute of the show, met wonderful people and found a lot of stuff for my projects. I'd love to come every year, but can't afford to.

I was a bit disappointed that so many vendors opened up or arrived late, it's hard enough to cover the swap meet fields in 3 days and there is no time left to go back to areas that were not open or arrived late, so those guys lost out on potential business.

Having organized motor shows back home in Zimbabwe, I know the time and effort that goes into a smaller show than this, and I think the organisers, officials and caterers did a fantastic job and deserve many thanks for their efforts. Without them you wouldn't have this successful event.

My thoughts, for what they are worth, to make it easier to find your parts, try to put the one make vendors in a row together, ie such as all Ford A and T guys in one area. Put those selling mainly pre 40's stuff on one field and 40's to 60's on another etc. Those selling mixed makes and years on a different field. Just a few suggestions that I hope may be considered.

As for those late arriving or opening, perhaps a bit of discipline is needed, have a cut off time for entry/exit into the swap fields and insist on vendors opening by 8am until 5pm (unless weather stops play), after all if you want to participate, you must go by the organizers rules. I know you all will shout at that idea, but hey we are there for that reason, aren't we??

The guys who leave a money box for us to pay into, no problem, they are there also to look for stuff, most have cell No.s if you need to talk and most old car guys are decent people who won't take your stuff and not pay.

The disabled carts? yeah some guys don't appear as bad as they look, let it be on their conscience if they are shammers.

Finally, I went to Barrie swap meet in Canada some years ago, the only vehicles moving around were for event staff or caterers. They had a couple of pick up trucks going up and down certain lanes. If you bought tires or big items all you had to do was take the stuff to the end of a row and wait, the pickup would come along, you loaded your heavy stuff and it would take you out to your vehicle, drop off your stuff and if you were lucky, take you back inside, food for thought please, because if you don't have a big cart, it is a problem.

Once again, thank you for a wonderful event, all the best

Viv

I think for an event of this size they move people. provide parking and handle most issues with spaces, etc. amazingly well. I know what a logistical nightmare even a small event can be as I am sure many of you do as well.

Sometimes the program is really helpful - I buy it right away and use if over the course of the next couple days to be sure I get to the "must see" people. We like gas & oil as well, which is so plentiful besides a couple people that specialize in better "smalls" the rest is hit or miss - all part of it.

Got a ton of "T" stuff, admittedly could have mail ordered a lot of it, but also spoke with a lot of people - old and new friends and managed to learn a bit more about the car. Only dissapointment this year was rain Saturday AM, we blew out around 11:00, felt bad for those showing cars but all in all another good year.

Reguarding comments on the scooter issue I have osteoarthritis in my knee from a skying injury 40 years ago. I can walk 1/2 mile in a day but there is no way I can spend a 3 days walking around Hershey. There are thousands of swap meet shoppers like me for one medical reason or another. Advance's in medical technology have kept us in the game. If I am going to shell out 3-4K to come to Hershey and rent a scooter for 3 days you can be sure I am a BUYER. There are always those who abuse the system but as the hobby gets older scooters become a necessity. If you want to see a different swap meet operation come to Pate next year. 7000 spaces and few campers on the field. Just my tcw. Bob