Judging question?

Vila

First, I am not complaining here but I had never heard of this requirement for having a car judged before.

At the Hershey show today my BMW was up for a Preservation award, and the judges asked me to remove my original interior carpet style floor mats for the first time. I was never asked this question when I received my 1st Junior or Senior.

I removed them, but was curious as to where it says in the judging guidelines that the floor mats are to be removed, or I would have done it at previous shows.

They are the original carpet mats and the carpet under the mats is easily visible around the edges.

After the judges left the area, I asked the gentleman from the car behind me and he said you are always supposed to remove the mats.

Since the judging guidelines are not searchable, it may be there but I could not find it.

Thanks for a response in advance.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Not a "requirement", but that has been suggested in judging school and interior CJE for years. Have to see the carpet to judge it.

Its been my experience to get the car judged with the floor mats in. I always go to the main judge(before judging begins) and tell/show them the original window sticker that shows the

mats came from the factory. I suspect they where installed from the dealer prep. I also tell them I will certainly remove them if they want to see the carpet or whatever. Larry

Its been my experience to get the car judged with the floor mats in. I always go to the main judge(before judging begins) and tell/show them the original window sticker that shows the

mats came from the factory. I suspect they where installed from the dealer prep. I also tell them I will certainly remove them if they want to see the carpet or whatever. Larry

Larry, they did indeed judge your floor mats as factory, but they also always make sure that "items" do not cover up problem areas. The trunk area is also judged that way, as owners have in the past covered up questionable areas of the trunk with literature, parts, etc. The only way for the judges to know for sure is to have the items taken out.

Guest amxsidewinder

my car has been judged by AACA twice and prior to that I have won several high level national awards and I have always been under the guideline that everything mu be removed from the car including mats. I would guess that the only exception as mentioned would be if the car was delivered with original brand mats and the head judge is made aware of that prior to the judging...

The "items" Mr. Burgess mentions brings up a good point. I am aware AACA judging frowns upon a variety of literature displayed in the trunk or interior area, possibly covering problem areas. Instead, have it available to answer any authenticity questions. Lately I've noticed more "stuff" the AACA does not consider appropriate for judging. like license frames and splash guards purchased at the local auto parts store, fuzzy dice, window decals not pertaining to a marque club for your car, and other "cruise night" goodies. One guy had all of his AACA trophies displayed in front of his car.

I recall my first AACA show, I was told by my class neighbor to remove my after-market curb feelers. What does he know? Well, I didn't, and those curb feelers may have been the deduction that cost me a third. At a more recent Spring Meet, going for Repeat Preservation, the team capt. advised me to remove my Little Tree air freshener discreetly hanging from beneath my dash. Another fellow advised to remove his "car-hop" tray and huge billboard thanking his resto team.

As we receive more new members, maybe a primer in the ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE advising members as to what is is appropriate on the AACA show field, and what should be saved for the local cruise night. Those things can cost you a deduction.