Joe Cocuzza

Dragged another one home

Went to W. Virginia to pick this T & C up (my 2nd one)

18 hours of driving without one pitstop. I'm glad to have the car BUT I will NEVER drive that far and long again.

post-55506-143142767942_thumb.jpg

post-55506-143142767919_thumb.jpg

post-55506-143142768042_thumb.jpgThanks Keiser31

I have another 47 sedan that I have just about completed a cosmetic resto on so I needed something "new" to play around with.

I am hopefully, in the next week or so, going to try and get it running. I have dropped the oil pan and I am having the starter rebuilt.

After a few more things to clean and replace I will slap the starter and the pan back on and give it a shot.

I have also been spending most of the time cleaning/compounding the paint and I have since removed the crummy replacement carpet and the interior seating. Had to get those old mice nests out in order to remove the smell.

I will keep updating as things progress

BTW

Here are a couple of pics (not the greatest) of my other Sedan

post-55506-143142767967_thumb.jpg

post-55506-143142767993_thumb.jpg

post-55506-143142768017_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joe Cocuzza (see edit history)

That's a sweet one, too!! You must have a looooong garage!

Thanks again Keiser31

My garage(s) is 24 feet long

Not so extraordinarily long. Cars fit in nicely and give some room for moving around. In fact, I had a 41 Buick 4-door convertible in it a few years ago and still had some room.

The green one has been an ongoing process for 15+ years and I am JUST now approaching the finish line. I need to put one bumper gaurd on, rocker panel moldings and the 4 hubcap and trim rings.

It is mostly original - only things redone were the paint and about 70% of the chrome. The interior, engine and wood are all original and have been cleaned and painted but not rebuilt and the wood was refinished (by myself). I put NOS seat covers over the original interior to protect it as it is made of irreplaceable material.

The "new" one will not - at least for now - be restored. I plan to get it roadworthy and use it as-is. I am leery about bringing the green one out because it is so nice - not a show car - but still very nice and I know how I am with nice cars.

I cannot afford the time or the money to try another restoration. Besides, when I picked the car up, it drew a bunch of onlookers in the condition you see it.

People seem to be drawn to cars that look as if they were just pulled from the scrap heap. Go figure.

Very Nice Score...

as well as VERY NICE work on your existing one !!

Thanks for BOTH compliments

The only things I did NOT do on the green car were the paint and chrome. I even mounted the www tires myself. (note: having ones own tire machine helps)

This is why it has been ongoing for the better part of 15 years

Joe

very nice car you bought. Now comes the time and lots of money before it looks like the green one. You should be very proud!

Wayne

These days, the "barn find" is the new "little black dress".

Along with the "matching numbers" craze of late....... :rolleyes:

By the way........the expert wood man for the Chrysler Town and Country cars lives only 17 miles away.

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

Along with the "matching numbers" craze of late....... :rolleyes:

By the way........the expert wood man for the Chrysler Town and Country cars lives only 17 miles away.

Who might that T & C wood guy be?

AlCapone: As far as the time and money to get it to look like the green one - THAT is NOT in the plan.

Unfortunately I do not have either the time or the money to do another one. I have stated above what my intentions are. But we all know that those intentions can change - not likely - unless I hit the Lottery

Joe

How are you going to get the wood to look like the other one? looks good already

How are you going to get the wood to look like the other one? looks good already

I am not planning on trying to do the wood over. Plan is to leave it as-is.

IF I decide(d) to redo it it can be brought back like the green car with stripping/sanding/bleaching/sanding/varnishing. You should have seen the wood on my green one BEFORE I redid it.

Joe

It is amazing what a little cleaning/detailing can do. It looks a whole lot better now than in the first pics.

Joe, what type of varnish did you use on the green town & country?

It is amazing what a little cleaning/detailing can do. It looks a whole lot better now than in the first pics.

Joe, what type of varnish did you use on the green town & country?

I used McCloskey's Marine Spar Varnish. I gave the entire car 15 coats.

There have been MANY discussions as to what type of varnish to use but I will stick to the Spar varnish. It is durable and easy enough to apply.

Also, discussions about whether to spray or brush the varnish and whether or not to polish/compound the final coat.

I have ALWAYS brushed it on and I have NEVER polished it. I don't like the "glassy" look polishing gives it. It just looks too perfect or better yet "artificial"