Help identifying Car

I am new to the antique car world, so I am having trouble identifying a car that I recently purchased. I would appreciate any help or leads that you may be able to give me. The car is four door (rear suicide doors) it has dual cowl vents and also dual opening front windows. The engine says silverdome on the head and it is an inline 6 cylinder. The front grille and any other identifiers are long gone. The car has dual side mount spare tire carriers. I have been told possibly a Chrysler. Is there somwhere that I can go to identify this car or to look up the serial numbers to tell me what it might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. <P>Thanks, Tyson Pfau<BR>tysonpfau@hotmail.com

"Silverdome" was a term Chrysler used on their engines. If it is a Chrysler product then the engine number should be on the block above the generator. The serial number would be on the passenger (right hand) door hinge post and there should be a body number tag on the firewall. At one time (mid 1970s) Chrysler printed a corporate car history that give serial numbers (not body or engine numbers) for each year of production. I have a copy of that and might be able to match things up.<P>The dual cowl vents rule out Plymouth and, I believe Dodge. There were dual cowl vents on a number of years of Chrysler in the early thirties. All the models I can think of that had dual cowl vents also had a split, dual opening windshield arrangement as well.<P>If you could post a picture of the car someplace it would probably be easier to identify.<P>Tod Fitch

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like it could be a '33 Chrysler. Not only would the serial number be on the right door pillar, but the engine should have a number on it starting with 2 letters as well. If you find those numbers, I'll try to help you further.<BR>Al Terek <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tyson Pfau:<BR><B>I am new to the antique car world, so I am having trouble identifying a car that I recently purchased. I would appreciate any help or leads that you may be able to give me. The car is four door (rear suicide doors) it has dual cowl vents and also dual opening front windows. The engine says silverdome on the head and it is an inline 6 cylinder. The front grille and any other identifiers are long gone. The car has dual side mount spare tire carriers. I have been told possibly a Chrysler. Is there somwhere that I can go to identify this car or to look up the serial numbers to tell me what it might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. <P>Thanks, Tyson Pfau<BR>tysonpfau@hotmail.com</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Tyson ~~ Are you by any slim chance related to Hugo Pfau, the renowned automotive designer of the 20's & 30's?<P> I am seeking information on Hugo Pfau for an article on AACA honorary members for ANTIQUE AUTOMOBILE. <P>Not a common name and I was just hoping-- smile.gif<P>HV<p>[This message has been edited by hvscotyard (edited 06-14-2000).]