torque converter question

I couldn't do it.<P>I couldn't reinstall a transmission I <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> is not fixed. So intead Josh and I did some more tinkering. First off, when I did the flexplate mockups earlier, I mocked the plate backwards. Now that it's in the correct direction, more damage was plain as day. The flexplate itself has scrape marks in the same arc as the TC weight! I am now fairly certain that the flexplate and TC weight are smacking that lower lip of the engine block, and perhaps that rear seal where the oil pan seals to the crank. It's so grungy that it's hard to tell.<P>We also mocked up the starter on the trans and spun the TC till it started smacking the bendix. That really does not sound like the noise I hear as I drive. It is too rapid. I can imagine the weight smacking the block only once or twice per revolution being much more like it.<P>Further, we yanked the TC because it slipped anyway. The bushing inside the TC is loose and I have no idea whether it should be. Also, the input shaft (there seems to be an inner and an outer, this is the inner one) was a tad wobbly. Dunno how much play there is supposed to be here.<P>So I'm off to a bookstore to find something on rebuilding Mopar transmissions as the service manuals I have are not cutting it.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Anybody know whether the shaft bearing in a torque converter should be able to move at all? The one in mine kinda flops around.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

I'm replacing the torque converter.<P>Picked up the new one today. Seems my truck had the wrong one in it. I checked the books myself to make sure the parts jock didn't screw up (being an ex-parts-jock myself) and what I pulled out of my truck is definitely for a 360, not a 318. Maybe this is part of the problem. We shall see.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry