aluminum refinishing

How should 35 year old exterior anodized aluminum trim be refinished? No amount of cleaning or buffing will work. If acid stripped, what precautions do you have and what recoat is recommended? Would clear urethane hold up to the elements or is re-anodizing the only choice and would it produce a good finish? Thanks for any assistance. <p>[This message has been edited by jezac (edited 05-12-2000).]

jezac,<BR>There are several options for you to do. First, what is your final goal here? Are you planning to show the car in judging or are you just trying to clean the old car up? Sometimes you can get away with just going over the anodizing with #000 steel wool. Polishing with cleaners like Mother's won't help a bit. (Most times) If you are going to go all out, then I only recommend you send your trim out and have everything stripped and re-anodized. (Very expensive.) There is a fellow in Indiana that I hear does super work. I have not seen his work, but friends of mine in the restoration business have. I do not have info on the company, but if I find it I will pass it on. Be carefull of who you give it to as I hear of more bad stories than good. You can also just have it stripped and what some call a quick bright applied, but I'm not sure about doing that as for the cost vs. appearance. Sorry this is all I can offer at this time.<P>Rick

This is going to be a daily driver but hopefully nice enough to not be embarassing at a local cruise night. All I had handy was 0000 wool which does not touch it but I will get some 000 and 00 and give that a try. If I do get them stripped, do you know the correct acid mix so I can confirm this with the shop? That stuff like in the cellar of "The House on the Haunted Hill" might be a little strong for my thin aluminum. Regards, jezac