Gummed up Carburetor

John N. Packard

Put it on a bench and spend a quality day with a can of PB Blaster and a sense of humor.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

John,<P>The Brass-Nickel Touring Chapter had a thing in their last newsletter about this. It said to use a 50% acetone, 50% alcohol mixture.(anykind of alcohol) Give it time to work and rub if possible. This came from the Carter Carburetor Company in 1954. You can get the acetone and alcohol in the paint dept of dicsount stores in gallon cans if you think you mignt need that much. I have never tried this-let us know how it works. <P>Dan

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

A buddy of mine was telling me about some sort of deal you can buy at the parts house that has carb cleaner and a basket to put the carb in, all in a container meant to let it soak in. I've not seen one, but will look for one next time I have to build a carb. <P>In the past, I have always used aerosol cans of carb cleaner with the little straw in the nozzle.

It is called Berryman<BR> B-9<BR> Chemical Dip<BR> Carb and parts cleaner<BR> .75 Gal<BR>I do not remeber the cost but a word of caution it has a habit of spitting when opened thus wear glasses and open the side away from you.<BR> It is convient and does a good job.<BR>later-jac

I have no technical background to justify what has always worked for me. A parts bucket and a gallon of cheap lacquer thinner from the home supply store. Put the carb in the bucket and completely cover it with lacquer thinner. Given several days time I have found that almost everything comes ungummed. I know of NO professional source for this technique, I just know it has always worked for me on carbs from the teens through the 50's. On the early one you must remove the cork float!.